Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #3256
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
so you're saying I should get my suspension revalved while my bike is still sitting in the shop since I blew up the can roller and other sundry bits?

I have Super Plush on my 525, which is excellent rally setup, Charlie says the Trailtech (?) guys are a little more consistent these days.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #3257
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Has anyone had Slavens re-valve their suspension

I bought my bike used, came from the PO with Slavens suspension resprung & valved for a 220lb rider. The bike is set up for touring and is amazing. I weigh in at a whopping 150lbs and notice a harsher ride when unloaded but load the bike and it's like riding on a cloud! I have called Jeff a few times with questions and he has always taken the time to help me even though I'm not the original customer, can't say enough about his customer service!

Hope this helps,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #3258
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
It's a myth that only racers will benefit from properly-tuned suspension.

Did you say you had the springs replaced to suit yourself? If you haven't, that's the first thing you should do. Sorry, losing track with everyone chiming in!

The springs have been replaced, the fronts are the stockers from my 950. The PO did have them revalved when he had them lowered.

Like I said, the suspension is sweet in the woods and on the road but if I start jumping or slamming g-outs, they blow through

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #3259
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The springs have been replaced, the fronts are the stockers from my 950. The PO did have them revalved when he had them lowered.

Like I said, the suspension is sweet in the woods and on the road but if I start jumping or slamming g-outs, they blow through
I'd guess the 950 springs are too light for you - they are spot on for a 70-75kg rider. - and that won't help with the blowing through the stroke. After getting the right springs, or even before, I'd talk to the chap who modified the valving and see what he says.

It's not an MXer, and big hits are stil going to be noticeable even when it is set up right.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #3260
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,939
Guys,
The correct valving for the stock USD WP fork was worked out b Z-dog in old threads.
It involves modifing(actually changing) the shims in the mid valve and the base valve.

A corrected oil height is suggested.

If you are any kind of a mechanic you can do these changes when you replace the fork seals. You can order shims from MX-tech....or...you can pay a bunch of money to a suspension shop and never understand how your forks work.

You need the right sag and to get at the mid and base valves. Air tanks are nice too.

The whole deal makes a cool winter project.

Rob(Z-dog) never published his rear shock mods. Maybe he will now that he is out of the business. I will try to call him to see where his head is at, meanwhile if you are interested in forks look up his old posts.

Meat has a great instructional thread on rebuilding the WP USD fork.

I was at the KTM festival at the Hungaroring in Budapest 5 years ago and talked with the WP engineers, they and KTM stone walled me on suspension.
All I told them was the valving sucked.

My machine was serviced for free at the factory when I got to Austria. It had been ridden across the USA, Russia, Mongolia, more Russia and the East Block.

What interested the factory engineers was the 4 inches of lowering I had done and the Scotts steering stabilizer coupled with the Infinity air tanks. That they liked.

It's all here somewhere and it works. I can ride through the rock gardens on the ATV trails without any drama, head shake or harshness on my lowered machine. A regularily suspended machine would be much better.

KTM probably valved the 640 for 100mph across the desert with 10 gallons of fuel. Stock the don't work so well. Too harsh.

You could just drop the oil level/experiment/open the clickers and see if the harshness goes away, then bring the clickers back.

If you want to be insane go over to KTM talk and read the old suspension threads. I just threw out 50 pages of notes from the old days, they made no sense. I was trying to understand specifics without understanding the big picure.

For me suspension is like carburation, slow speed, mid range and WFO.

I forget most of it which is a little pain for me, next rebuild I will have to replace the softer shims as they get beat out through long use. Maybe that's why KTM used heavier ones...durability.

My current softened mid valve and base valve config has done around 40k miles and still works fine.

Rally on.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 01:59 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #3261
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I would be very interested in Zerodogs' shock valving ideas if he is willing to share. I have his subtanks on WP 50's, pretty cool, ... open - one type of fork action, closed - second type of fork action = Slick.

I have an 8.8 spring on my shock (240 - 250 lbs ready to ride) valved a little firmer on rebound, and a spacer removed for more wheel travel (too much)... I'd like to shorten the shock, and while I'm at it, maybe shuffle the shims again, it would be good to know what to go to directly in the shim department...
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #3262
bmwktmbill
Traveler

I'll try to find him this week.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3263
kelvyn
KTM AdventureR

Oddometer: 28
Thoughts on wear?

So - I had to replace an O-Ring on the end of the cam/valve rocker thing - took these photos,

How many miles does this engine have? What's your thoughts on the condition?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16137719/IMG_1597.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16137719/IMG_1598.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16137719/IMG_1599.JPG

Answer - circa 23,000 miles, just returned from a 6,000 mile trip from England, Spain, France, Morocco and back :-)
Condition, a little rattlier than when it left.. probably going to ride it through winter and rebuild (pay for a) - in february.
It probably should have been serviced while out there, but c'est la vie.

kelvyn screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 04:02 PM Reason: Changed IMG to URL due to image sizes!
kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #3264
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
I found an old thread with Zerodog's fork valving http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191732
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #3265
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
everyone needs to remember, one mans dream set-up is another mans nightmare. don't get fooled into thinking this is a 1 size fits all kinda thing.

i personally love having my local guy, who yes i pay some money, to be available whenever i need. he also knows the local terrain.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #3266
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

everyone needs to remember, one mans dream set-up is another mans nightmare.

I agree. Everyone has tastes in suspension like they do in women, we're all different.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #3267
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
I found an old thread with Zerodog's fork valving http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191732
Those were the days. I am still running the mods I made to the fork valving, the shims stood up to 20k miles plus without waffle(ing). Checked during the last fork rebbuild.

I added air tanks and never looked back, no issues ever with them.

Z dog has done three rear shocks for me, one went around the world without failure. The key was to replace everything internally plus he shotened it and modded the valving.

Gotta find the man.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3268
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Sending mine off to Superplush soon. I talked to Jeff at Slavens and he said he was 2 and a half months out, that didn't fit with my schedule. So off to Superplush they go!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #3269
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 656
I will apologize in advance of I am hijacking the wrong thread butI I've searched to no avail.
I just purchased a 2002 640 SMC with less than 9000k.
How can I make this bike more off road worthy ? I really wanted the adventure but couldn't find one in my price range.
I did see the thread about converting one into an adv but that is not realistic for me.
Will the 17" tires work off road? Can I put the 18 & 21 on it?
Will the suspension be ok or will I need to mod it?
Can I change the tank?
This is my upgrade from my KLR.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
BikerBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #3270
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Don't forget to change your user name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbobber View Post
I will apologize in advance of I am hijacking the wrong thread butI I've searched to no avail.
I just purchased a 2002 640 SMC with less than 9000k.
How can I make this bike more off road worthy ? I really wanted the adventure but couldn't find one in my price range.
I did see the thread about converting one into an adv but that is not realistic for me.
Will the 17" tires work off road? Can I put the 18 & 21 on it?
Will the suspension be ok or will I need to mod it?
Can I change the tank?
This is my upgrade from my KLR.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2