Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #3436
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,733
Do you have one of the old manual hammer impact drivers.

I'd do everything recommended so far and then try some impact and prayer to the gods of small things.

This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

I'd use propane for heat first before something else...?

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #3437
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Anyone ever have an adjuster screw (for chain tension) freeze up? It is basically just a screw going into threads. How can it be froze up? No outter signs of rust? I tried heating it up. Am I missing something simple here? Any help would be much appreciated?
The swingarm fills up with water which cant escape and the adjuster screw rusts. Can be helped with very small holes to drain and prevented with regular greasing of the screws.
Aussie Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #3438
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Anyone ever have an adjuster screw (for chain tension) freeze up? It is basically just a screw going into threads.
Yep, known issue. For the last 5 or 6 years KTM have put big plastic plugs in the SX/EXC swingarms to help them dry out.

I've freed mine up sometimes, and have stuffed the thread on one or two bolts early on. Try flooding the inside with wd40 or crc556 or something, put the bent straw through the chain guard screw holes to spray the end of the bolt.

As has been mentioned, they get wet inside and rust, and then when you screw the bolt out to take up the slack in the wearing chain, you draw the rusty end of the bolt into the captive thread. If you force this, it will end in tears. Instead, screw them in as much as you can, spray/soak with penetrant, and then ease them out. Remove the axle so you can get a good socket on the end, rather than a spanner; it helps to hit it with a better connection.

Once you get it sorted, dry it out, spray with crc/wd again, and then seal up all the holes in the swingarm with silicone (screw the chain guard back on through the silicone before it sets). I haven't had a problem since doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #3439
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
thx for the good advice people. So I will heat, lube, beat, twist, jerk. Then I will work on the bike. I figure I will end up cutting it off and drilling the rest out. So aggravating when all you wanna do is adjust chain.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #3440
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,322
i would also take a small drill bit and drill a drain hole on the bottom of your swing arm so that if you do get any water inside it can easily drain out and not cause more problems. i did this when i got my bike new, then added the anti-seize and have never had a problem with them.

good luck with those bolts.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #3441
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,659
Team-

We don't want to use a Copper Anti-Seize on those axle adjusters. Copper and Aluminum don't play well together.

Dirty
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #3442
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Team-

We don't want to use a Copper Anti-Seize on those axle adjusters. Copper and Aluminum don't play well together.

Dirty

Now you tell me!! I guess I've been lucky, so far they keep coming out. I have another can of marine grade, I'll make sure to start using that instead

Thanks

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #3443
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Do you have one of the old manual hammer impact drivers.

I'd do everything recommended so far and then try some impact and prayer to the gods of small things.

This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

I'd use propane for heat first before something else...?

bill
Actually went to 2 stores to find an old style hammer impact driver. They looked at me like I was nuts. Used my old one all the time. I like the idea of drain holes. I cant believe I never had this problem before.

dolphins13 screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 01:37 PM Reason: To add information.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #3444
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
I drilled a 1/8 drain hole in my swingarm today...........got about 100cc's of water out of it.
I remember when I drilled the swingarm on my 520.......there was tons of water in there, but that bike had been through quite a few water holes!

Thanks for the reminder Laramie!

Cheers
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3445
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Now you tell me!! I guess I've been lucky, so far they keep coming out. I have another can of marine grade, I'll make sure to start using that instead

Thanks
Marine Grade or a Heavy Duty Anti-Seize are the two I use....just stay away from that copper.

Dirty
Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #3446
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,733
Now I know for sure I've lived a charmed life.

Merry Christmas all.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #3447
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #3448
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Meeryxmas folks, thanks for the tip on the drain holes, my swingarm is probably full
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #3449
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 207
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

KTM LC4 400 2002 - Military version
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #3450
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Thumb 2007 640 ADV back in business... almost!

Also posted below to KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please... not sure which one is 'right' or if there is a 'right' thread to post this to?

Well gang, after a two and a half year hiatus (two young kids, life, etc!), I will be returning to ride this spring when the snow melts this spring!

I bought my '07 640 (third owner) in 2009 with about 7,000 kms on the odometer and only rode for 3,000 kms over two riding seasons. Since 2010, my bike has been stored and over the past two weeks, I had some work (well) done to it by my friend, Pieter, as well as starting to go through it myself.

Due to some ongoing wiring gremlins - headlights sometimes working, sometimes not (stock running lights with an aftermarket HID kit installed by the PO - no markings / brand / documentation which contributed to my frustration!), I looked for loose connections and then split wires (perhaps grounding on the frame), but after a fruitless search (I am not much of an electrician!), I decided to just replace some circuits altogether. Enter my friend, Pieter, a motorcycle / remote control aircraft enthusiast (auto mechanic by trade) who specializes in electrical.

After his initial appraisal, he decided it would be more time efficient and more useful to me in the future to rewire much of the electrical (using vehicle grade wire) onto separate circuits (as well as building custom, waterproof fuse boxes) such that any issues can be easily identified and solved in the field. Now all my lights are on separate circuits (stock running, HID low and HID high). He also reorganized the rats nest of wiring under the shroud... not that there was much room with the aftermarket horn and additional HID ballasts!

While he was at it, he mounted a trick airline fuse into the cockpit panel (another quick change fuse on a separate circuit for my accessories), hard wired leads for a phone and a GPS, as well as rebuilding my aux port (the power plug-in would come loose on bumpy ground such that anything plugged into it would only receive a sporadic power supply.)

In the future, I might see if Pieter can isolate the 'key on' circuit to further separate the lights and the battery such that it doesn't waste energy on the lights; taking away boost for the starter (an issue as read on this forum). If so, I will have to add on on/off switch for the lights as this will override the 'instant/always on' for the lights...

Finally, Pieter rebuilt and re-machined my crash bars to properly fit to allow for full radius turning; mounted by a previous owner, they contacted the forks slightly at full lock either way... not good! I had to remove them once I figured it out.

For my part, I welded a cracked subframe that was hidden by the right side panel (PO over-packing the bags?) and have started reading all the posts on this thread / other specific KTM 640 threads to try to learn of any other potential issues / areas to address. Thanks for the prior info about drilling a hole in the swingarm to release water buildup... any photos / description of exactly where you drilled?

Q: Does anything jump out regarding potential / actual 2007 640 issues that need to be addressed? Anything not included in the standard KTM owners manual checklist "MUST DO's" that a guy should be aware of?

Q: Any specific brand / model highly recommended as a replacement battery to the stock Yuasa YTZ10F MF?

I truly appreciate the contributions on here... looking forward to learning more from you inmates in the future and contributing when I can.

Cheers!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...

Hockeygod screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 04:21 PM Reason: correction
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote