Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #76
C-47brett
El Guano!

Oddometer: 8
So, basically if I boil down all the comments . . . regardless what you wear, somebody's gonna dislike it OR, on the flipside, feel better about their own get-up in one way or another.

At least we can all wear whatever we like as opposed to the regimented Harley uniforms! All those rugged, non-conforming individualists.

"So many horses' asses. So few horses."
My ex-wife

Wheels: (3) GS Adv's, (3) Ducatis, (2) Hodakas, (6) other BMW + Yamaha/Harley/Honda
Wings: Pitts Special, T-6, C-47, Ju-52, Lear 45, Turbo Commander
C-47brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #77
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman98 View Post
I was explaining to a friend the different stereotypes associated with riders of other types of motorcycles, i.e. "pirates" and "squids." After I explained the nuances of each category, she asked "which one are you?" At which point I realized I didn't know what the stereotype name for "adventure riders" was!
I'm imagining the guy who rides a 550 pound "dirt bike" with aluminum cases down to starbucks for a latte, while he brags about how he could ride across africa at a moments notice if he wanted to, and refers to that one time he rode on a 2 lane, graded gravel road as "gnarly single track."

So whats the name for this guy?

In the interest of full disclosure, the description above hits pretty close to home, except I dont drink Lattes.
Gear Queer...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #78
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Harley pirate at work calls me "the moon man" every time i come in to work. MX boots, and the rest of the gear.

He shuts down about 15 minutes before quitting time so he can get geared up if he's riding. Changes into jeans, Official HD boots, cut off T-shirt that shows off his side boob, and of course a Doo rag with skulls on it. One day i put this on and cranked it up when he walked out. He usually would strut around looking like a bad ass, that day he heard it and walked straight out the door. The rest of the guys that ride at our shop (all H-D's) thought it was hilarious.

Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #79
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
Walked into the local Ace Hardware wearing my two-piece Darien, with Schuberth in hand. As I'm walking out the guy behind the counter says "BMW? [pause] I have a Harley -- every group dresses different."

I thought I was just commuting in gear more likely to save my ass than a doo-rag if I go asphalt-surfing, but now I know was just channeling my inner BMW snob and conforming to the group stereotype to soothe my insecurities.

I do have to give the counter guy credit -- I was on a BMW.
It is a great deal easier to wear the safe gear for the "right" reasons when everyone else who rides a bike like yours does so too. His comment was more insightful than you give it credit for.

The guy in a roadcrafter on a road king is the real "rebel". And, I suppose, the fellow in chaps and a perfecto on a R12GS.

Just cause you're a rebel doesn't mean you're cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-47brett View Post
At least we can all wear whatever we like as opposed to the regimented Harley uniforms! All those rugged, non-conforming individualists.
We need rebellious templates to project rebellion, otherwise we just look crazy.

Most people that really are striking out on their own stylistically come off as eccentric, anyway.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #80
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Motorcyclist!
Too many syllables.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #81
Married Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Why do you all keep picking on Starbucks?
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #82
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,596
Bicurious.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #83
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,421
Power Rangers
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #84
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Albie got it!
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #85
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
What about the guys with the skull face masks?
Yeah what is the DEAL with that? I just saw a guy yesterday with a german military nazi style helmet (cruiser), leather icon vest with straps, jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirt (squid), and the skull mask (bank robber? wild west bandit?) on a sportbike.

I don't get it. This guy wants to protect his delicate face from moving air with the "Lord Of Castle Greyskull" mask but yet he's wearing a helmet that will probably contribute to injury in event of a crash and doesn't cover most of his face/head.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #86
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
[QUOTE=Bugman98;20915923]I was explaining to a friend the different stereotypes associated with riders of other types of motorcycles, i.e. "pirates" and "squids." After I explained the nuances of each category, she asked "which one are you?" At which point I realized I didn't know what the stereotype name for "adventure riders" was!
I'm imagining the guy who rides a 550 pound "dirt bike" with aluminum cases down to starbucks for a latte, while he brags about how he could ride across africa at a moments notice if he wanted to, and refers to that one time he rode on a 2 lane, graded gravel road as "gnarly single track."

So whats the name for this guy?

QUOTE]

ME.

My KLR is set up just like that, but I rarely go off road. Total poseur bike. I try to play the part by riding through puddles and I never wash it. As a KLR rider, Starbucks is too high-falootin, so no lattes for me.

The KLR roundels usually fool people into thinking I have a BMW. Not haveing a milkcrate helps pull off the illusion.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #87
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I keep a refillable Starbucks mug, gift, and fill it up at the gas station. Then I just park down the block from Star bucks. Kind of standout with my yellow construction vest over my jacket with the KLR.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #88
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Lets just say I work for a "land management agency" and my Coworkers/higher ups call us " Damn Street Legal Dirt Bikers!!!"

and i just take it, cuz I'm proud
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #89
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
What the public thinks about us...

Once I stopped by the office around midnight to grab my laptop. I didn't bother taking off my helmet or the gloves. So here I walked in, fully dressed in black - boots, cargo riding pants, leather jacket, gloves, helmet. I scared the crap out of the cleaning crew, one of them thought a SWAT team was raiding the office.

In December I was in Montreal downtown, walking back to the hotel around midnight from St Catherine Street. Black biker jacket, jeans, shoulder length long hair, 260lbs with pretty muscular build. A car pulls up and two young Francophone men around 18-19 got quite pushy about me selling them crack, the passenger at least was either high or wasted. I kept telling them - I have no drugs, I don't sell drug, leave me alone. The passenger even gets out of the car, keeps walking behind me, and says stuff like "We know you have drugs, you're a biker". At that point I remembered the Quebec biker wars where the Hells Angels were fighting with other biker gangs over drug sales monopoly between 1994 and 2002, with more than 100 people getting killed. So I figured this could be fun, I turned around and yelled "Get fucking lost before you really piss me off". He was back in the car within 4 seconds and they took off as if their life depended on it. Really wish I had that on tape...
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #90
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,010
What do "pirates" and "squids" call us?

Squids ? Who knows.

I don't think pirates care enough about you guys to even bother coming up with a name. Probable an ego buster but they really are invested in their own sub culture and not what you look like. I actually kind of like them because of that.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote