pkbinder
Kissing Moose

Oddometer: 264
You are in my thoughts. And yes to the trike idea. Paul
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
AMEretired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Prayer and good thoughts sent from my home to yours.
Mike
AMEretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 188
Get well brother! Prayin for ya.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
More prayers going out for you.

Smile and laugh a lot. I hear that helps the heart tremendously, and will also do wonders for your family after your ordeal.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
DougFromKentucky OP
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Setting here in front of the computer. Had a visit with my Internal Medicine guy today. Told him about how weak I still feel and he explained to me that I had just had a heart attack and to cut myself some slack. He promised that things will get better. You would think that I would know this as I have had three of these things before this one but this last heart attack seems to have effected me more emotionally than the others. Gotta hang tough, remind myself that I was a Marine...

I have been out to the shop to visit my WeeStrom a couple of times since I have been home. I got a chair out and sat in it several evenings ago and did a little work on it (not much and not strenuous) but I have the back end of the bike apart hooking into the rear tail light wiring so I can light up my top-box (A Bestem, it came with wiring and lights). I have a friend coming over this weekend so we can do a fluid exchange on my rear brakes (I think I get to watch and hand him tools). Looking forward to it big time. I miss riding.

I promise I will come back from time to time to let anyone who is reading this know how things are going. And hey, everyone; thank you for all the posts and all the prayers and good thoughts. It does help.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
And hey, everyone; thank you for all the posts and all the prayers and good thoughts. It does help.
Good. More coming your way!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #23
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
positive thoughts for you. hang in there!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #24
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
My Strom riding days may be over. I do hope to continue on my scooter if I can.
Good adaptive thinking! As doors close in our lives, others open. It is our choice to go through them or not.

Even if you were to find yourself all the way down to something like an old Honda Trail70, you'd still be out puttering around and having fun on two wheels.

A man who has fun with what he has is better off than a man who simply laments what he has lost. At least in my opinion. Kudos to you!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Good luck, and I hope for your speedy recovery.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
I am hoping the best for you. I too had a event about a 1 and 1/2 ago while out riding on a solo ride through Montana and North Idaho; kept feeling really tired and weak with what I thought to be a case of bad heartburn. Bee-lined home and went to see the doctor, right into the Hospital I went and 2 stints later I'm out.

As Life long riders I shutter to think some day I may have to quit riding, but you say you have a scooter. That should at least fill the void, just no more long road trip I suppose.

I am sending you good vibes man............ All the best. Rest and recover so you can ride again real soon.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
buzzardco1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Prayers and positive vibes heading your way.
buzzardco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Keep your head up

Big thing is Don't Stress. Also, it's not too late to make every effort to improve your quality of life through diet and exercise if you think there's any room for improvement in this area. If the doc makes you hang up the helmet for awhile, hopefully you've got enough memories to get you through.

In our prayers.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Always a Marine!!!

Quote:
Setting here in front of the computer. Had a visit with my Internal Medicine guy today. Told him about how weak I still feel and he explained to me that I had just had a heart attack and to cut myself some slack. He promised that things will get better. You would think that I would know this as I have had three of these things before this one but this last heart attack seems to have effected me more emotionally than the others. Gotta hang tough, remind myself that I was a Marine...

I have been out to the shop to visit my WeeStrom a couple of times since I have been home. I got a chair out and sat in it several evenings ago and did a little work on it (not much and not strenuous) but I have the back end of the bike apart hooking into the rear tail light wiring so I can light up my top-box (A Bestem, it came with wiring and lights). I have a friend coming over this weekend so we can do a fluid exchange on my rear brakes (I think I get to watch and hand him tools). Looking forward to it big time. I miss riding.

I promise I will come back from time to time to let anyone who is reading this know how things are going. And hey, everyone; thank you for all the posts and all the prayers and good thoughts. It does help.
You know, take it one day at a time. Hand your friend the tools, stay busy, but take it, low and slow, a former "Flying Tiger" gave me that advice. It was a while ago. I was getting through A/P school at the time.

I'm new to street riding myself, and, I may have health issues as well. Also, I'm riding a 650 V-Strom, as a first adventure bike. So do take good care of yourself.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Best of luck in your recovery. I'm sure your doctor has told you this, but the best avenue for recovery is diet and exercise. Old habits are hard to break, but take baby steps and you'll be fine.

Based on your condition as you describe, I'd suggest you give serious consideration to turning in your drivers' license to the state and quit driving on public roads. This past year I witnessed two accidents caused by drivers having medical conditions while behind the wheel that could have caused catistrophic damage had circumstances changed. the first was an 80+ yr old man who parked in the handicap spot in front of the local liquor store. When he got back into his car he had a stroke and drove the car right through the front doors of the liquor store. Luckily no one was injured. It was later revealed that his daughter (60+ yrs old) had been after the province for a couple of years to revoke his drivers license on medical grounds but they refused. He has now voluntarily agreed to give up driving.

The second incident had a gentleman driving eastbound on a four lane road suffer a heart attack and suddenly veer off to the right, plowing through a fence and right into a swimming pool that, fortunately, had been drained for the season (pic attached). Had he veered to the left into oncoming traffic, the results would have been disastrous.

Remember, this isn't just an issue of your right to drive. It is an issue of the right to safety of others on the road. In my view, given your medical history, if you get behind the wheel and have another heart attack which results in a serious accident, you're just as guilty, if not more so, that the guy that stumbles out of the bar dead drunk and causes the same catastrophic accident.

Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote