Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #16
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Yamaha Tenure - Do you mean the super tenere? A failed bike. An adventure bike weighing 260kg? You've got to be joking!
All 260Kg bikes are not created equal. That's a very simplistic assessment of a bike. But if you want to know it's real limits, you'll find them in here....

Yamaha describes it as an Adventure Touring bike. It tours pretty well over lot's of surfaces..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
All 260Kg bikes are not created equal. That's a very simplistic assessment of a bike. But if you want to know it's real limits, you'll find them in here....

Yamaha describes it as an Adventure Touring bike. It tours pretty well over lot's of surfaces..
I don't doubt for a second that it's a fabulous bike to tour with over a lot of surfaces! The problem is just that I would never ever EVER want to find myself in a position where I got a +260kg bike stuck in mud or fallen over the wrong side of a slope.

Since I do all my riding 99.9% solo such a high weight simply rules it out for me.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
Noticed no Guzzi Stelvio listed either. If you're thinking along the lines of the GS and the Explorer, you should book a ride on a Stelvio too. No bike on that list has the engine character of the Guzzi.

Good bang for the buck too.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post

Since I do all my riding 99.9% solo such a high weight simply rules it out for me.
Err, when did thread become about you?

Anyhow, as the vid showed, even an old git can lift the bike...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Noticed no Guzzi Stelvio listed either. If you're thinking along the lines of the GS and the Explorer, you should book a ride on a Stelvio too. No bike on that list has the engine character of the Guzzi.

Good bang for the buck too.
Never ridden one but +1.

OP, height/weight? Also for your ridding I think you are correct ruling out any bike with tubed tires - as your list indicates.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
All 260Kg bikes are not created equal. That's a very simplistic assessment of a bike.
But they´re still 260kg bikes.

It´s a great bike though, and can go surprisingly far on the rough stuff. (For a 260kg bike.)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,047
Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

Tiger 800!

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,403
The Multi is a really nice package with lots of features.

I looked at the Ducati when shopping for my bike, and ended up with the other Italian: Aprilia. They make a reliable bike, with a more reasonable maintenance schedule than the Ducati. The one major down side is the small number of dealers. You probably have one near you, but you won't see very many while out touring. That also means you won't find parts in stock, and would have to wait for delivery if you need anything. I have been happy with mine, though, and haven't needed any parts in 2 years of riding.

For 2013, Aprilia is bringing out something in the Multistrada class: the Caponord 1200. You might want to give it a look, as it fits what you're looking for, and costs a bit less than the Duc.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Motorrad magazine did a 50.000km test on a Multistrada1200, and thought its reliability was much better than previous Ducatis, and better than they had expected.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
My take is that if your still enjoying the pride of ownership as much as the ride, buy the Duc, whereas if like me your a little tired of the concern over caring for the bike, buy the Tenere. I think I may have taken this philosophy too far- I just bought a KLR.

I think the Tenere is the KLR of 1000+cc bikes...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
rogerc OP
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Test rode a Triumph Explorer 1200 and Triumph 800 XC today. 40 minutes on both, in stop and go traffic a few open hill runs, and the freeway for about 20 miles. Did research on both of them last night and was glad I decided to ride the 800 as well as the 1200.

Did not like the Explorer, too heavy, very stiff, suspension has adjustments but didn't feel right. Engine was great everything else is okay except the wind protection needs to be improved.
The acceleration was adequate but no FJR type power and stopping was smooth and controlled but just felt okay. It did not inspire confidence in corners or leaning the bike felt just okay. After some miles I am sure the confidence would increase drastically but still not inspiring in the corners for me. I would not like to take this on a 2000 4 day journey, it just would not be fun. In short it was just an OKAY type of bike and did not light my fire, speak to me, or give me a hard on.

The 800XC surprised the hell out of me. Good power, even great power, much more nimble, good squirt around bike. I like the motor much better (same type of design thought) steering in corners was very inspiring and was what riding a bike is all about for me. Suspension to me was better that the Explorer even thought it lacked any adjustments on the forks and is a bottom end type of suspension. Was smoother on all the roads and the engine was smoother and spooled up and took off when you wanted it too. Felt I could ride it all day. If I were to ride this with my friends who ride fast but not wild, I would not be able to keep up with them but would not be too far behind but the ride would be fun none the less.

Power is not everything to me it is how the whole bike is integrated in shifting, accelerating, stopping, setting up for a corner, overall cornering ability, comfort for long rides, and yes can I at least stay in the same county when I ride with certain fast friends. The 800 spoke to me, no fire, and no hard on for the bike. But for about 10K it could lite a small fire and give me a slight hard on.

In summary, the Explorer is out and the Yamaha Tenere is next to ride but I am thinking it well be a lot like the Explorer and may disappoint, I am keeping an open mind. The 800XC and the 800 road are still on the list, Multistrada still #1.
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
In summary, the Explorer is out and the Yamaha Tenere is next to ride but I am thinking it well be a lot like the Explorer and may disappoint, I am keeping an open mind. The 800XC and the 800 road are still on the list, Multistrada still #1.
From what I've read, the Explorer is very top heavy. The Tenere is the opposite, very nimble and easier to do a u-turn on than my F650GS Dakar.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
...or hold out for the rumored new V-Strom 1000....
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
Twinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:

Fantastic Video!! Thanks for posting! I wished I could ride like that!!
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Ktm 1190?

As a do-it-all bike, I am getting increasingly attracted to this one:

Rollicking ride video here (from the press launch).

Laudatory online review here (also from the press launch).

Pic with factory add-ons:

But you won't see it in the 'States for a few months yet.

If other markets are any guide, it will be priced against the base-model Multistrada (i.e. not the "S" model with the Sachs active suspension).

Of course it is only just released, so no known build issues to interfere with the fantasy.