Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #31
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Id say given the criteria put a CB1100 on the list as well.

But yes ride them all.

The Tenere is the dirtiest of the bunch so if you are really a 2 percenter and "sensible" then the Tiger800 is the closest to your needs, but you might find the Tenere will make you a 10 percenter in a short time.

Tiger1200 is a really good sports tourer and more FJR.

Multi would be a waste. You would be wanting to have the words maniac, suicidal and the phrase "no need for a license" but it would be easy enough off road until something fell off and broke..

Don't forget the Strom 650.
Lack of pow-ah right there.
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #32
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Lack of pow-ah right there.
Yeah that 300KW per ton is just soooo slow..

Better scratch the Tiger800 as well.

Anyway, the OP didn't mention drag racing and point to point shootouts as the major consideration. Just thought that it may have a certain quality that may appeal, but since it's all about HP then I stand corrected.

Ducati it is then.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,800
It sounds like one of the three advanced machines would be good for the OP, since price isn't a big factor. They each have their advantages, but the test ride will probably make it clear which one brings the biggest smiles. I did a quick search to see how they stack up:

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S: 428 lbs, 150 hp, tri-map throttle, active suspension, switchable ABS/traction control, 5.3 gallon tank, high maintenance.

Aprilia Coponord 1200: 495 lbs, 128 hp, tri-map throttle, semi-active suspension, switchable ABS/traction control, cruise control, 6.34 gallon tank, medium maintenance.

KTM 1190 Adventure: 512 lbs, 150 hp, tri-map throttle, push button suspension, switchable ABS/traction control, 6.1 gallon tank, high maintenance.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #34
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Multi comments

I've put almost 50,000 miles on the 2010 Multistrada 1200S; I guess I'd dispute the claim that it's no good for touring...

Also, the "real" weight (fully wet) of the Multi is 520 lb.

Ride everything, and buy what you like.

BTW, how tall/big are you? At 5-8 145 lb, I felt that some of the bikes were too big and heavy for my comfort.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I would seriously consider a Stelvio. It is sweet handling, quick steering and does not feel top heavy. A great touring bike with a grunty twin engine that has plenty of power, the Guzzi is about as bulletproof a bike as any and moreover has character! You might not have many dealers but you might not need them after set up?

If you want a fun bike to ride consider it. You will never feel like its an appliance.

The Tiger 800 is a nice machine priced well. I haven't ridden one but I had considered it prior to my Stelvio NTX purchase. All I can say about the Guzzi is it handles, even two up the thing has sportbike embarrassing potential with a good rider aboard. If you find one to test give it a go.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
Fantastic Video!! Thanks for posting! I wished I could ride like that!!
Then buy a Tenere. It's all in the bike.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
The Multistrada, most giggles per $ , tours well and is not expensive to maintain. Love my 2011 MS.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #38
rogerc OP
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
[QUOTE=Dr. Greg;20936669

BTW, how tall/big are you? At 5-8 145 lb, I felt that some of the bikes were too big and heavy for my comfort.

--Doc[/QUOTE]

I am 6' 3" and 229 lbs and headed to 220 lbs.
Long arms and legs.
The FJR was a little cramped even after the bar risers and seat adjustment.
I fit very well on the following bikes:
Multistrada
Triumph 1200 Explorer
Triumph 800 XC
will probably fit very well on the BMW 1200 GS and the Yamaha Tenere.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #39
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I'm 6'2 and fit fine on the Tenere and think it's a great one. Otherwise the MotoGuzzi Stelvio seems to fit the bill for me. I guess maintenence cost not being much on the Multistrada is a relative thing. Isn't it around $1000 every 5000 miles or so give or take from what I've read? To me that is high as the Tenere doesn't go to the dealer ever. So if if I ride the Tenere 100,000 miles, I save $20,000 in dealer fees. No character though For $20,000 every 100,000 miles that is something I miss, but live through it.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
The KTM1190 really does it for me. That thing is awesome.
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
So if if I ride the Tenere 100,000 miles, I save $20,000 in dealer fees. No character though For $20,000 every 100,000 miles that is something I miss, but live through it.
Get rid of the stock muffler and presto! instant character.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post

Also, the "real" weight (fully wet) of the Multi is 520 lb.

--Doc
Shh!

The best thing about the MTS is you can get a sports bike that works for real people in the real world longer than others.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #43
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I too dispute the "no good for touring" claim in respect to the Multi. It's a very comfortable and composed motorcycle on the slab or backroads with no problem running out consecutive 200 mile fills. I am relaxed and happy to ride it any distance. Wind protection is not as good as a GS, but ride quality, while different, is certainly on par with any other adventure bike one would put to the touring task.

My bike has been problem free but is still low miles. Nothing I've owned has been simultaneously as competent for distance work and as much fun to ride in cut and thrust. Also easy in the city where it's relatively lighter weight and good manners make working traffic low stress.

I'd be interested in the KTM and the Caponord (I own one of the early Capos still) but of the bikes available today, the Multi was my choice after doing the rounds and I don't regret it.

Not a bad bike on your list, you can hardly go wrong, but if you want a great ride, take the Multi for a test and see if you can't stop dreaming about it when you get home.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #44
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 329
I currently have an '06 Ulysses. I would recommend one for a guy your size, except for the fact that they are orphaned now.
If I were to replace the Uly, on my short list would be the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

I will add that after owning bikes with shaft and belt final drive; I would never go back to a bike with a chain.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #45
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
KTM 1190 Adventure: 512 lbs, 150 hp, tri-map throttle, push button suspension, switchable ABS/traction control, 6.1 gallon tank, high maintenance.
First of all, you are comparing dry and wet weights.

Second, what do you base your "high maintenance" claim for the KTM on? Just curious as the service intervals are 9000 miles (15000 km) and valve check every second service if I read that right.

But TBH I only found some info on the web, I don't own either bike. And unfortunately the 1190 Adventure isn't available in the US for 2013.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote