Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
Do actual research instead of spreading rumors on the Internet.
Was this directed at me? I've done my research and I'm not spreading any rumors, I was simply asking if others had experience with submerging these batteries. The fact is the Shorai batteries are not watertight and there are several areas around the case where water can penetrate. I sealed my Shorai with silicone and we'll see how it does. I'm hoping to get at least a couple of years of hard adventure riding out of it. Loving the weight savings and it cranks the 990 with authority.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
Battery has been completely soaked or underwater (since it sits so low on the 950) many times with no issues so far.
This is what I was waiting to hear...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
Thanks guys. I'm going to put the factory Yuasa YTZ14S battery back in the bike as I can't afford to get stranded on a long adventure ride in BFE and ruin a trip over a battery that is susceptible to water damage

I read in a few forum threads that it is not waterproof and you can tell just by looking at it that it won't keep water out.

I cannot imagine is waterproof.
Yes, I was addressing your statements. Too many times I read statements like this on forums. Did the battery fail on you because it wasn't waterproof or do you "imagine" by looking at it it will fail? Did you come to these findings by getting information from someone first hand that had a failure or did you have this failure yourself?

I am not trying to start an argument with you just making my own statement.

I would like to know as well if others are having problems with water getting in these. I have had one of mine completely submerged many times during one trip, once for as long as 20 minutes going up a stream and didn't have any problems. Maybe I was lucky but I did have the option of a kick starter. On my 800XC I don't have that luxury and would be concerned if I was told of first hand experiences about failures. I bought my first Shorai from ELS in Phoenix. The owner did extensive testing on the issue of cold starting. Froze batteries while taking voltage readings, a control bike for starting tests ect.

From my own first hand experience, I have had no issues with water and Shorai batteries. I have had no issues with cold starting in temps as low as 4 degrees. I do not like how quickly the battery will go from full volts to flat with out much warning. I was setting up my camp site and needed my motorcycle headlight, it lasted about 20 minutes. I was expecting to start my bike to charge the battery when I saw the headlight dimming but it went from full brightness to out within seconds and the bike would not start but luckily my Beemer friend had some built in jumpers on his bike.

I would like to hear about more actual experiences with these batteries. I often choose to spend my money based on others experiences and not manufacturers claims or someone's hearsay opinions. This place can be a wonderful resource networking a huge amount of information but the flip side can pass along in accurate info, I guess reader beware...Mike
Mikehusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

No, the battery is brand new and has never failed on me. I was looking for first hand experience from others who have taken their Shorai batteries through water crossings. I'm not as concerned with the battery now that it's sealed with silicone, but only time will tell if it can withstand mud, water, vibration, temperatures, and heavy amp draw from the big 990 with accessories. Based on your and Zeegman's feedback, I'm confident the Shorai should be OK long-term. If I can get 3 years of abuse out of it, that will be acceptable to me.

IMO, Shorai should release a sealed "ruggedized" version of their batteries for powersports applications. Maybe they will in the next few years...
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
DARKRYDER, you seem to be certain in your opinion that Shorai batteries aren't sealed at all. Where did you find your conclusive, solid information proving that this is true, other than eyeballing it from the outside? I tend to agree with Mikehusa here that you are claiming things that have not been proven and are unfounded. I did a a fairly extensive Google search just now and could not find any reputable source stating that Shorai batteries are not sealed and/or are susceptible to water penetration. You can't just eyeball a battery from the outside and say "nope it's not sealed" or "water will penetrate it". It doesn't work like that. There could easily be rubber o-ring or silicone sealing from the factory that is hidden from the naked eye, even around the charging plug. As I've said before, I've trudged my Shorai through water, rain, mud, dust, vibration, etc, etc, etc.... no issues whatsoever. Not to be a d*%#, but please stop spreading misinformation. Thanks.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

Wow, tough crowd in here. Look, take the rubber cover off the charger socket/outlet on the Shorai and you will see a gaping hole in the case. What other "conclusive, solid information" do you need to see the obvious??? You are being a d**k, now go troll someone else's thread and do something useful. No one is spreading any misinformation, I was asking for input from other Shorai owners. Sealing the battery gives me peace-of-mind that I won't be stranded hundreds of miles from civilization with a damaged battery. Form your own opinions and do as you please with your $200+ battery.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Wow, tough crowd in here. Look, take the rubber cover off the charger socket/outlet on the Shorai and you will see a gaping hole in the case. What other "conclusive, solid information" do you need to see the obvious??? You are being a d**k, now go troll someone else's thread and do something useful. No one is spreading any misinformation, I was asking for input from other Shorai owners. Sealing the battery gives me peace-of-mind that I won't be stranded hundreds of miles from civilization with a damaged battery. Form your own opinions and do as you please with your $200+ battery.
1) I don't see a huge gaping hole in the case when I remove the rubber sealing cover from the charging plug on the battery. I see a charging plug! And when looking at the charging plug further with the rubber cover removed I see no evidence that there isn't a rubber or silicone seal back in there. Point being, I'm not going to claim that the battery isn't sealed just because I can't see it. If you want to convince the forum that Shorais aren't sealed then rip apart your Shorai and take pictures of where it isn't sealed. Until then, there's no evidence. And don't make the claim that Shorais aren't sealed.

2) Keep the rubber plug installed in the charging plug where it's supposed to be and you won't get water in the charging plug!

3) Sorry, but I'm not being a d**k. Just trying to help you out here. I'm simply making sure the forum isn't clouded with misinformation. And if you're looking for input from other Shorai owners then listen to what I and the many others have posted in this thread: we've taken our Shorai through water, mud, rain, dust ,etc with zero problems. I'm not here to form an opinion so I'm not going to. I'm just here to point out that you're broadcasting your opinion as the gospel based upon hearsay and eyeballing the battery from the outside. No facts or proof. Just your opinion that you have a hunch that your Shorai isn't sealed.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

Pull the rubber cover off and there's a hole where the cover itself mounts to the case. I removed the cover as I needed the charging cable plugged into my battery permanently for easy access while storing the bike for long periods. There's no misinformation being spread, go grind your axe somewhere else. Perhaps you're a Shorai dealer or spokesperson, it makes no difference to me. I'm just a regular guy who loves to ride and I look forward to many trouble-free sandy, muddy river crossings. Discussion closed.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Pull the rubber cover off and there's a hole where the cover itself mounts to the case. I removed the cover as I needed the charging cable plugged into my battery permanently for easy access while storing the bike for long periods. There's no misinformation being spread, go grind your axe somewhere else. Perhaps you're a Shorai dealer or spokesperson, it makes no difference to me. I'm just a regular guy who loves to ride and I look forward to many trouble-free sandy, muddy river crossings. Discussion closed.
Not trying to grind my axe. Still no conclusive evidence that Shorais aren't sealed. The rubber charging plug cover's mounting hole could be a completely enclosed plasticized mounting divit or holder plug. Just because you pulled the rubber plug completely off of the battery casing and you saw a dark hole it doesn't mean that there isn't something behing there, or they didn't somehow seal behind there. They could have even completely enclose the holder plug with plastic. You/we don't know. We need proof, pics, etc. that this point is a breach. Otherwise it's misinformation that "this battery is not waterproof". There are more people on this forum reporting good luck in water with Shorais than bad. Until you have real evidence that Shorais are failing due to water penetration don't get pissy with me.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

Don't get pissy with you? OK, sure buddy. How about you take your Shorai and dunk it in water a dozen times and then disassemble it to prove that it is watertight? I'm not willing to take that chance with my brand new $200+ Shorai, so I sealed it with silicone and don't need to wonder if water is going to breach the hole or seams. If you feel yours is watertight, I'm happy for you. Mike (Zeegman) hasn't had any issues with his either, so they seem to hold up OK to water, sand, mud, etc. If I have time this week, I'll call Shorai and ask them to clear this up and post back.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Lil' Irv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Lots of good information here. Been a while since I read through the thread but seem to recall some discussion of Shorai and water.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I'll call Shorai and ask them to clear this up and post back.
Please do, "buddy". I'm happy you gooped silicone on yours, but your opinion that they aren't a sealed battery is just that: an opinion... Until we hear from your Shorai of course. I am open to and await proper evidence.

Quote:
I'm not willing to take that chance with my brand new $200+ Shorai, so I sealed it with silicone and don't need to wonder if water is going to breach the hole or seams.
It's fine that you're not willing to rip apart your Shorai... Neither am I. However, don't make claims that they aren't waterproof in order to justify your silicone sealing. BTW they're not $200+.

I agree, discussion done.... unless you continue to make claims without proof.

The Griz screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #28
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob

I don't need to prove anything to you and the battery cost around $200. With charger it was more like $250. By the looks of your stockish 990R with street tires, you don't do many deep river crossings on your bike. Either way, I'm done with this discussion. Feel free to continue arguing your point, I'll rest easy knowing my Shorai case is sealed.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
Lil' Irv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
OK, so here's the relevant piece from post #113 of the thread I linked to in my previous post.
Quote:
As it stands, I am rapidly approaching saying "don't buy Shorais products"

I have never spoken directly with anyone at Shorai, but understand them to have outstanding service so I wanted to like their product right off the batt.

The problem I have with Shorai to date are...

Build quality. Yes it's better then the shrink wrapped products but it is not a gasketed case. Cup your mouth around the case over one of the terminals and blow, air comes out around the other terminal.

One of the used Shorai batteries sent to me had liquid inside so that when you shake the battery upside down small droplets come out and its pretty nasty liquid. I don't think it is electrolyte as there is very little moisture in LiFePO4 cells to my knowledge, rather I think it is water with corrosion from the various exposed metals inside.

Same thing with the BMS port, that little rubber cap is not making a good seal.

One of the 4 Shorais in my possession was sent for destructive testing by a bike shop and I really wanted to charge it at 21 volts, 18 amps, which is as high as I suspect a bike charging system could ever go before other things break shutting down the engine. I know what lead/acid batteries do in these conditions and it is bad, but wanted to compare it to what the Shorai does which I suspect would have been less bad.

Unfortunately I destroyed that battery 24 seconds into a 200 amp load test (epic quantity of white smoke when a LiFePO4 cell shorts internally), but, I still managed to do a water test with the now useless Shorai battery. Sink it in a bucket of water and little bubbles come out around the terminals and BMS port rubber cover till the battery fills with water.
FWIW, the Shorai in my 950 has two seasons on it with no issues. It's never been submerged so water hasn't been an issue. Did run it flat once (which you're never supposed to do!), charged it with the Shorai charger and no issues since.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I don't need to prove anything to you and the battery cost around $200. With charger it was more like $250.
Sorry you paid $200 for that battery. However, your math makes no sense. Going by your math it would be $275-285 for both. $250 for both makes a bit of sense though. The charger costs $75-85. Battery is $160-170.

Quote:
By the looks of your stockish 990R with street tires, you don't do many deep river crossings on your bike. Either way, I'm done with this discussion.

You're hilarious. Your bike is just as clean or cleaner than mine! And my pic is in my garage after a wash. Yours is just as clean on a trip!... ....and nice to know that you base someone's 'adv-ness' on how many 'farkles' they have on their bike and how dirty it is on a pic on the internet...Nice try at a burn!.....

Also, my main experience with the Shorai is in my 2010 BMW G450x and my 2011 Husqvarna TXC449 on single track trails in the woods. River crossings, mud, water, rain, dust, vibration, etc, etc, etc... no problems.

Quote:
Feel free to continue arguing your point, I'll rest easy knowing my Shorai case is sealed
I don't have a point to argue. I'm just highlighting that your claims that Shorais are susceptible to water penetration are, at least until this point, without real proof. Nice bike though! And I'm sure your silicone will give you peace of mind!