Oddometer: 2
Default what is the fastest Honda scooter made

i am looking for the fastest Honda scooter and best for highways and long trips
Vscribner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,108
Currently the Forza 300 in the USA. Recently the Silverwing 600.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Currently the Forza 300 in the USA. Recently the Silverwing 600.
motorcycles that looks like scooters should not be counted. Silverwing weight is 480lb dry .. that's about 520lb with fuel ready to ride.

Forza at 420lb is no light weight either ...

fastest scooter size bikes are Honda Elite 250 (280lb dry 298 fueled up) .. 1985 to 88 for short wheel base .. 1989 and 90 for longer wheel base more stable in highway. both can go about 70 mph .. but 85-88 elite 250 gets pretty scary at 70 mph with a wheel base little longer than a bicycle. but they sure are sweet darting around town .. with plenty of power to pull away from traffic hopefully into an empty zone.

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 07:43 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
motorcycles that looks like scooters should not be counted.
You're not the one asking the question.

Fastest scooter:

Turbocharged Minarelli AM6

Not really the answer that the OP wants either though.

If you're stuck on Honda then the Forza 300 and silverwing 600 are it. Yamaha Majesty 400 or T-Max are good choices too. The T-MAx is pretty sporty and comfortable.

k-moe screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 10:27 PM
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
motorcycles that looks like scooters should not be counted. Silverwing weight is 480lb dry .. that's about 520lb with fuel ready to ride.

Forza at 420lb is no light weight either ...

fastest scooter size bikes are Honda Elite 250 (280lb dry 298 fueled up) .. 1985 to 88 for short wheel base .. 1989 and 90 for longer wheel base more stable in highway. both can go about 70 mph .. but 85-88 elite 250 gets pretty scary at 70 mph with a wheel base little longer than a bicycle. but they sure are sweet darting around town .. with plenty of power to pull away from traffic hopefully into an empty zone.
Mostly when I think of motorcycles, I think of bikes with a frame mounted engine, shifting transmission (either auto or manual clutched) , chain or shaft drive and fuel tank as high or higher than the seat and the tank situated between the handle bars and seat, foot pegs and wheels taller than 14" with spokes or mag wheels.

When I think scooter, I think auto clutch CVT transmission almost exclusively, single unit engine & drive line swing arm mounted mostly with only a few examples of scooters with frame mounted engines and swing arm belt drives, step through forward of the seat, mag type wheels 14'" or less, body coverings that conceal most of the inner workings (engine, radiator etc) and floor boards.

Forza 279cc faster than 582cc Silverwing?(curb weight 541#) I don't think so. Honda Reflex 249cc is faster than the 244cc 250 Elite or Helix. I've had my 2007 Reflex up to 83 mph GPS verified and still climbing ever so slowly. Dead calm air on straight and level expressway. Feels spooky going that fast on the Reflex though. So I only did it a couple times just to see how fast it would go.

So the fastest Honda scooter best for highways and long trips would be the Silverwing. Though I have used one of my Reflex scooters pulling a single wheel trailer from here in S.E Michigan over to the mountains of NY, down to Tenn. and west to OK. Not exactly the fastest and would slow to maybe 50mph on hills with the trailer but it does get around.

On long trips, rider comfort is more important than speed IMO. If you are not comfortable, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going.......Being uncomfortable takes all the fun out of a ride and can potentially be dangerous because you would be distracted.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

bandito2 screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 10:42 PM
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
OK .. point taken ... but ugggg..... a 520lb scooter .. might as well ride a motorcycle

check out the scooter cannonball run currently going on .. inmate DaBinChe has a thread going .. he's riding a 2010 Honda NHX 110 .. currently in second place. he was in first place first 3 days. 2006 Vespa GT200 is in first place ..

http://www.scootercannonball.com/

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 11:01 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Scooter rules ?

Why do people want to set rules about what a scooter is? Good grief. Get a life.If it's fun, you can call it a scooter!!

Fastest, best highway Honda scoot?------ Silverwing.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
of their "scooter-size" (as opposed to mid/maxi-sized) scooters?

SH150i (molto $$$$), with PCX150 at #2.

Highways? S'wing, Forza.

Let the squabbling begin...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...

redhandmoto screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 06:42 AM
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Vscribner1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
so what scooter is best for long trips and can do 80mph that i can get a used one for a good price
Vscribner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Well, what's a "good price"?

Google "used Honda Silverwing". Results fit your budget?
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 235
Honda Reflex sounds like it fits the bill perfectly. I've seen em go for $1500 in great shape.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Honda Reflex sounds like it fits the bill perfectly. I've seen em go for $1500 in great shape.
Oh, yeah! How could I have forgotten the Reflex!?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post

On long trips, rider comfort is more important than speed IMO. If you are not comfortable, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going.......Being uncomfortable takes all the fun out of a ride and can potentially be dangerous because you would be distracted.
That ^ right there. Comfort and fun. There is more to traveling than getting there fast. If a ride isn't pleasant, you will soon find reasons (excuses) to not make the ride.

A SilverWing will be the fastest Honda scooter on the highway. Should be comfortable, too. Plenty of weight and bulk to move around slow or when parking. My PCX is fun and comfortable around town and on two lane twisties. 65 mph on the highway isn't fun... or comfortable.

Best price? Well, new or used? If Honda does come out with something to replace the current SilverWing (only rumors), there are usually good discounts on non-current bikes. Hard to say any particular used bike is a "good price" without knowing something about the maintenance and riding history of that particular bike. Check prices on Google and you will get some ballpark numbers. Then, you have to factor in mileage, general condition, tires (age and wear), and how close the bike is to you (if you have to travel 2,000 miles to get a scoot... well, you know).

When you narrow it down, buy it and stop looking. There will always be "the bargain of the decade" 12 minutes after you plunk your money down. And, if you don't plunk your money down, you miss riding time.

If this is your first bike (assuming so with that "fastest Honda" question), you will probably discover that there is something else that draws your attention after you've been riding a while. I've been riding a lot of years; owned a lot of bikes... and each one was "the best one" when I bought it. When I owned more than one at the same time, they were both "the best ones."

Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. The only bad buy is the bike you don't use.

A completely free opinion, 'cause that's the kinda guy I am.

Jim
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Long trips? If you're including used Hondas, don't forget the Helix (unless you're tall). Long chassis for stability which is great on the highway. Cruises at 75-80, no problem. Ed Otto completed the Iron Butt Rally on one a few years ago.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Silverwing 600. Should handle any legal highway speed and climb anything. Between the Silverwing, Majesty, Burg 400 and Burg 650, I found the Silverwing much easier to handle at slow speeds.

If you plan on long distance riding, I recommend avoiding small scooters. Even if they will keep up with traffic, you have to ride them at full throttle, and they don't seem to hold up well being ridden that way. And if you run into any real mountains, they are geared to high to climb well, even though they have the power, you cant get the engine to turn fast enough to use that power. A Silverwing should cruise effortlessly across the country. And you can find great deals on used ones. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4459508152.html
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote