Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
New Project or Reason for Psychological Intervention?

I'm thinking about trying to find a used Stella 2T and fitting a hot rod PX 200 running gear to build the ultimate old school shifty. Anyone been down this road or pondered doing this? I've found a low mile '09 Stella that's had every bling component affixed, but considering these are grossly underpowered and a grenade in waiting, this seems to be the thing to do? Someone talk me down
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
http://www.scootercentral.net
Scratch your itch.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,006
Do it. I have a stock '09 Stella that I've replaced the top end on once. I'm going to keep riding it until the engine fails (probably due to crank failure) and do the same thing you have in mind. I have a local vintage Vespa shop for help. The Stella really is a solid scooter except for the engine. Engines have to be made out of the proper metal, and made to very close tolerances, something they just don't seem to be able to do in India.

I'm also planning on getting one piece wheels for mine, and putting tubeless tires on it. Then I can get rid of the spare and have more storage room.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Psychological Intervention

Psychological Intervention Gee isn't that part of joining up with ADV ? I thought they called us imates for a that reason .
If you got the skills and can do it why the hay not ! Make the rest of use jealous .

As for talking anyone down , I more likely to do what mell gibson did in one old movie and jump off taking you with me .
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Do it. I have a stock '09 Stella that I've replaced the top end on once. I'm going to keep riding it until the engine fails (probably due to crank failure) and do the same thing you have in mind. I have a local vintage Vespa shop for help. The Stella really is a solid scooter except for the engine. Engines have to be made out of the proper metal, and made to very close tolerances, something they just don't seem to be able to do in India.

I'm also planning on getting one piece wheels for mine, and putting tubeless tires on it. Then I can get rid of the spare and have more storage room.
Get rid of the spare? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
PX200 engine is going to run you close to what you'll pay for the Stella. If you combine that engine into a Stella you will then spend another $2000+ to beef up the engine, exhaust, clutch, trans...The resulting finished scooter will bring about the same as a stock Stella.

Why bother? Take the money and put it towards a P200E and use the remainder to fix it up mildly.

A 2T Vespa/Stella isn't that fun over 65 mph anyhow, so unless you're in a club that gives props for speed then it makes no sense to hot rod a Stella. Slap on a kit and address the known weaknesses, sure.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
scooterpartsco
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 402
Someone abandoned a Stella here. It runs and it's pink. Make me an offer and it's yours.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
I'm thinking about trying to find a used Stella 2T and fitting a hot rod PX 200 running gear to build the ultimate old school shifty. Anyone been down this road or pondered doing this? I've found a low mile '09 Stella that's had every bling component affixed, but considering these are grossly underpowered and a grenade in waiting, this seems to be the thing to do? Someone talk me down
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1tIT6NK0R4...Man-060609.jpg

Definitely psychological intervention
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
*Gmoney*
St00pid n00b

Oddometer: 769
The Psychological part is in the name,
I can never picture myself
riding my,
Aunt Stella
around the neighborhood.
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
PX200 engine is going to run you close to what you'll pay for the Stella. If you combine that engine into a Stella you will then spend another $2000+ to beef up the engine, exhaust, clutch, trans...The resulting finished scooter will bring about the same as a stock Stella.

Why bother? Take the money and put it towards a P200E and use the remainder to fix it up mildly.

A 2T Vespa/Stella isn't that fun over 65 mph anyhow, so unless you're in a club that gives props for speed then it makes no sense to hot rod a Stella. Slap on a kit and address the known weaknesses, sure.
The main issues with the Stella engine are the crank and the top end. Both can be replaced with high quality items. I am by no means a Stella/Vespa expert, but my local vintage Vespa shop assures me I can make the Stella engine virtually bulletproof for around $1000. I don't care about speed, 50 mph is fine for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote