Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
While it is a bit modern looking for my tastes, I would still like to have the off road model, IF I fit on it. Looks like the rider in the video is a lot smaller than me and just barely fits. I notice it even has a centerstand. If it ever made it to the U.S., hopefully it would still have that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Looks like they are on sale in Japan now... But I was unable to find any information on the offroad version - the one in the video has leg shields, street tires and a low pipe...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
bymbie
Adventurer

Here's the Cross Cub on the Japaneses Honda site - no offroad version :-(

http://www.honda.co.jp/CROSSCUB/

((and while I was there, I checked out some other bikes that we will never see in North America, but they look awesome, like the FTR or the CB223S))
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
MrGoodwreck
Retarded Adventurer™

Oddometer: 79
Give me the updated Trail 110, and make sure to keep the spare fuel can.
MrGoodwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
A one sided argument

Will it make it to the U.S.?

Of course it will, ...as soon as it is announced as a world bike. Will it be? How could it not? The Honda Cub is an iconic bike with quite a rich storied history exclusive to Honda Lore. As a result of the Cub's success Honda is what it is today. Honda will cash in on the Cub's history and end up sending it everywhere. It is made for everywhere. Yes it may need to spend a while as a Japan only model, but isn't that how things work these days? Look at the new CB1100. Everyone said the U.S. would never get it. Mine is out in the garage.

How many Cubs did Honda sell? 60 million or so? ...and they are still selling them. Weren't they kind of popular in the U.S.? Wasn't that famous "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad pitched with the cub? I don't care who you are ...its adorable...

With this particular model upgrade now Honda has the opportunity to start the advertising over and flaunt this "best selling motorcycle in the world" with something never before offered ...FUEL INJECTION! How SWEET is that? Lots of people will want FI. If they don't? ...great, there are a million of these carbureted bikes out there that will be even cheaper and run until your grandchildren die of old age.

Patience.

I have no doubt. ...and just to make my prediction more interesting, I think the beefed up version will be the model that will sell best in the U.S. At least, the male demographic that are interested will want the one with out the leg skirt, yes? Maybe that will be the only version the U.S. is offered?

Patience. Start squirreling a little money aside now and before you know it, you'll have a new one in the garage with little fanfare.

Put me down for a Beefy Red Cub.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
bymbie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
Will it make it to the U.S.? Of course it will, ...
I hope your train of thought is correct... On the other hand, Honda stopped selling the Cub in the US in 1983...Same with the CT110 - last sold in 1986. Apparently there was no market for them... So you have to believe that the history and nostalgia will be enough to sell these. At the same time, younger people didn't grow up with the Cub/CT series --- and the Grom might be sexier for them than an XCub.

Again, I hope you are right - in the meantime, let's see if they actually made any "beefed up version" for the Japanese market.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
i hope your train of thought is correct... On the other hand, honda stopped selling the cub in the us in 1983...same with the ct110 - last sold in 1986. Apparently there was no market for them... So you have to believe that the history and nostalgia will be enough to sell these.

...cb1100.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
bymbie
Adventurer

You cited a big bike that made it to the US. What about the other ones that could ride the nostalgia/history wave but are not offered in North America? (For instance, the Honda CB223.... (http://bit.ly/12FLgUG) or the Yamaha SR400). I believe, that the small bike market is a different beast...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #39
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
You cited a big bike that made it to the US. What about the other ones that could ride the nostalgia/history wave but are not offered in North America? (For instance, the Honda CB223.... (http://bit.ly/12FLgUG) or the Yamaha SR400). I believe, that the small bike market is a different beast...

Yes, I cited a big bike that made it to the U.S. based on its nostalgia/history being present in the U.S. before ... just like the Cub has history here from before. As for the other bikes ...were they world bikes? Do they have any nostalgia/history based in the U.S.? IDK. No really, I don't know anything about the models you mention. I do know about the cub, it was tremendously successful everywhere, which is sort of my point.

If Honda can pull off what they did for the CB1100 in the U.S. imagine the success they are almost guaranteed being "THE" small engine manufacturer that they are in the small bike market with the Cub's engrained history in the U.S. They sold a lot more cubs here than CB750's, yes? The CB1100's are being snapped up by older people that have some fondness and appreciation for them due to exposure at some point in their lives. You would think the Cub's had a lot more exposure to a lot more people. And the Cubs are going to cost a lot lot less than a CB1100. I'm one of those people and I have no problem parking a Cub next to a CB1100 in the garage.

...And your right, the kids will be attracted to the Groms but the Cubs will find their niche. Especially with those older people that want a CB1100 but don't like wrestling a 550 pound machine. Chances are those people had some history with a cub at some point in their lives too. Heck the older they are the more inclined they may be towards the Cub. And if Honda saw fit to bring over the CB1100 based on its history/nostalgia - by that reckoning the Cub's chances look pretty good, yes?

Maybe the cub will only last 2 or 3 years this go around. I only need it to last one year. My point simply is I believe we will get our shot at them.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #40
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Honda brought the Cub to the U.S. in the early '80s as the Passport. It was a sales flop. I had one I bought used. I liked it, but found it just to small. I have always liked the Trail 110, and seem to fit a little better, but that is the original model. Both these seem to be exactly the same layout. Buying an old style CT110 now would basically be buying a project bike. Not that it couldn't be fun if parts were available, but it would be nice to have a brand new one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #41
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Rather than the Trail, this looks more like an updated Postie. It would be a viable urban bike, much more so than the hoards of 50s that people are buying now.

From what I can see there is a small steady market for these things that SYM has already tapped into with the Symba. I just don't see the vast pent up demand that some wish for. If that were true Symba's would be flying out the door.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #42
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
From what I can see there is a small steady market for these things that SYM has already tapped into with the Symba. I just don't see the vast pent up demand that some wish for. If that were true Symba's would be flying out the door.
Ha ha I don't think there is a vast pent up demand either. But I do believe if Honda announces the Cross Cub as a World bike the U.S. will get them. Sure Symba's will never go flying out the door.

But look at the Symba...

Now look at the Cross Cub...

The Sym will always be a carbureted copy. The Cross Cub, in the version I think the U.S. will be offered, is a real Fuel Injected Honda with all the little things that go along with being a Honda... and it's just way cooler!

Which would you rather have?

Yeah I know the pictures are skewed to my point... I meant to do that.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #43
bymbie
Adventurer

Yes, the current line-up of the XCub is not what I'm excited about. On the Japanese website, they have the low-pipe model (featured in the video) and the grocery getter with the basket. I will start bugging my Honda dealer once they announce the "real" XCub with high-pipe, more off-road oriented tires and the different transmission. I was google translating around on Japanese sites and found some information stating that the off-road XCub will not have the dual range transmission, but it will be geared more towards trail use.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
If Honda brings this to the US I will have a Symba for sale. The Symba is an excellent bike though. The cubs that were sold all over the world were built by SYM under contract with Honda. Good article on this>>> Team Symba

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #45
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

So the question begs where are these new Cross Cub models currently being manufactured?

Is it SYM again?

Japan?