ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Thumb July Nachos Run & Campout

Holy mother of god....good riding. Tech 8's are missing a chunk.... DRZ is missing chunks..... Tire Iron straightened out Tony's KLR..... Need some new riding gear....thank god tony had some tape!

Beautiful day, weather was good. Deep mud, slick mud, roots, rocks, big rocks, pointy rocks, insane uphills with big roots and rocks and insane downhills with the same...

Spectacular views.

Talcum-Powder hill.....ouch.


More later. Need beer now.

Cheers
__________________


gentry screwed with this post 07-12-2005 at 10:49 AM Reason: Title change
gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Stosh - we missed ya but to be very honest I doubt there was any way that GS would have made it....

I hope the bike is running well!
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Stosh - we missed ya but to be very honest I doubt there was any way that GS would have made it....

I hope the bike is running well!
Holy New Tyres....

Well I am glad I ate breakfast, had coffee and went the Green Valley Rd route.

Enjoy
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Ride Report

OK,
The recon ride showed that there were four types of trail conditions around naches at the moment. Probably due partially to the cooler, wetter weather this year.



- The lower trails headed off of "Little Naches Road" which are usually dry, dirty and fun as well as being easily run by a GS are a soupy quagmore of bike-destroying proportions. It made Reiter Pit look easy.
Experienced riders only
Thumpers or Insane GS' riders only
Mud-holes up to 3 and a half foot deep in places
Slicker than snail-snot
Tree Roots, Rocks & Dirt as well as the mud
Semi-aggressive to aggressive tyres required
Bike armor recommended (human too!)


- Higher trails above "Little Naches" road
Most are easily run by a thumper and the "good" rated trails could also be run by a GS. Singletrack and not much room for error. Think "Roller Coaster."
The trails that Tony and I apparently didnt notice were marked "Difficult" were quite a hoot. Tight single track with roots, rocks, dirt, puddles and steep uphill and downhill climbs with switchbacks. Experienced riders only. Damn good chance you will go down. Little bridge-crossings too.
Some parts are corrigated for runoff and can pose an intimidating scene. Liberal use of throttle advised.
Lots of fun
Thumpers only
Semi-aggressive to aggressive tyres required
Experienced riders only
Bike armor required (Human too!)

- Fire roads above Whistlin' Jacks and around Naches
Fun for all!


- Roads and trails above Milk Pond Road
Fire road parts are fun. Several "shortcuts" including a long, steep, rocky and quite gnarly uphill dash over roots and gouges. Involuntary wheelies quite frequent. Heavy Jeep Traffic on the fire roads.
Entering the higher parts of the ridges the views are utterly spectacular. The main fire road enters into and off-road trail that is GS/Thumper friendly. However it soon results in an uphill that Tony and I aptly named "Talcum-Powder Hill." At first glance it appears as a steep uphill climb with three trail options. However upon commitment and making it up a third of the way we noted that several inches of apparent "dirt" were indeed slick powdery dust. Hence the occurence of DRZ and KLR "uprightedness" and a subsequent retreat to the bottom for a regroup.
This hill is tough and I for one woud not try it on a GS.
Above the hill is a trail covered in sharp rocks up to a foot high. Tough on tyres, armor required. Dont fall off....it would bloody hurt!
Next section is "Government Meadows." Beautiful and fun and leads to Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks. We too the "Funny Rocks" tour, watched a Jeep catch on fire and then proceeded back down. Talcum-Powder Hill was a bitch going down too....
Dont even think about doing this one on anything bigger than a KLR IMO.



Thanks to Tony for towing the bikes in luxurious comfort there and back. Normally I would be embarrased that I did not ride there and back but im so damn sore and the bike needed a good inspection before road riding that I am more than grateful. Plus that trailer is badass. I want one.

I have had Steel Pig Barbeque and Xingu's. Advil + Bed

Thankyou and Goodnight.





PS: Tony's go the pictures. I took a short video too. Dunno when Ill get it on the interweb.
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,292
so, if I'm on a GS, should I just stay home??

I was going to try and make it out on Sunday. Will you be doing GS-able roads on Sunday, or the real gonzo shit??
__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
88NX250
Team USA
 
88NX250's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 723
Holy Gonzo Shit HERE I COME! whoohooo

maybe I will drive the truck down hahaha....
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
I was going to try and make it out on Sunday. Will you be doing GS-able roads on Sunday, or the real gonzo shit??
I can tell you the new trailwings and the beast are staying home for this one.

Just more beer for the b-day bash. See you there !!

Enjoy
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist
 
das Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 719
Will get more intel.

Gentry:

I sold a bike to a guy who lives in that area. Naches is his home riding area. I forwarded your trip report to him and have asked several questions about trials and camping in the area. Maybe he will have suggestions about where to ride. I've also asked about enforcement of licensed vehicles, i.e. do the locals ride dirt bikes there. I have his work address so won't hear anything until the week starts.

Did you learn anything new about lodging/camping?
__________________
Riding a motorcycle is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
Gentry:

I sold a bike to a guy who lives in that area. Naches is his home riding area. I forwarded your trip report to him and have asked several questions about trials and camping in the area. Maybe he will have suggestions about where to ride. I've also asked about enforcement of licensed vehicles, i.e. do the locals ride dirt bikes there. I have his work address so won't hear anything until the week starts.

Did you learn anything new about lodging/camping?

Locals ride all sorts of vehicles around there but the local forest service guys are tough and they set up checkpoints sometimes. So everything must be street legal.

I'm thinking of turning this run into a possible one-day event because of the likely exclusion of the GS riders etc. Many of the trails I had taken my GS on some time ago were just muddy bogs pits at the moment.

At the moment a day's full riding in that stuff would be enough and Im wondering if getting down there saturday afternoon riding FS roads etc and then camping out for the night and riding all sunday on the gnarly stuff is the best idea. Particularly with Luca's friday party. That would also mean guys Like Stosh & Luca could meet up and take off into the FS roads etc if they wanted to (well worth it) on sunday as well.

Whaddya y'all think? Im starting to lean towards a saturday campout off of 410 somewhere. There a ton of great locations near the "American River."

Anyone thinking of bringing their wives/girlfriends?

Cheers

Chad
__________________


gentry screwed with this post 07-10-2005 at 12:23 PM
gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
Holy Gonzo Shit HERE I COME! whoohooo

maybe I will drive the truck down hahaha....


Its DRZ heaven
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
88NX250
Team USA
 
88NX250's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 723
If this becomes a 1 day-er, I would like to get a Roll Call going so we can see about carpooling or riding down in a group.

I can drive my truck down with 1 other bike (and room to spare for gear) if someone feels like splitting gas costs or I can split gas with someone else if they have room for me and my bike and my gear.

I am not totaly opposed to the idea of riding the bike down but for security's sake I would like to have a vehicle to store my camping equipment in while I am riding in the dirty bits.

I would like to be there for 2 days but one is good enough.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
If this becomes a 1 day-er, I would like to get a Roll Call going so we can see about carpooling or riding down in a group.

I can drive my truck down with 1 other bike (and room to spare for gear) if someone feels like splitting gas costs or I can split gas with someone else if they have room for me and my bike and my gear.

I am not totaly opposed to the idea of riding the bike down but for security's sake I would like to have a vehicle to store my camping equipment in while I am riding in the dirty bits.

I would like to be there for 2 days but one is good enough.


I think a roll call is a good idea. I'd be interested in two days for sure. I'd recommend caging down as well as both my bike and Tony's took some damage. At this point I'll plan on the wife stayin' home.

So far (?)

IN:

gentry
a16tony
88NX250
das rider

MAYBE:

davidovich
Stosh23 (?)
Guglione (sunday)
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #13
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist
 
das Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 719
Where are we going?

I'd like to study my maps of the area, gazetteer, atlas, Forest Service, TOPO! with USGS coverage of Washington. Where exactly are you talking about going? Tell me how far down what Highway you go or the towns you pass through, where you plan to park/camp. Or give me geographic coordinates from a GPS.

If it's camping, fine by me, I'll have a truck camper, fully self contained. Plus a 7x14 enclosed trailer for the bikes, so there would be room for other people's gear to be locked up. I might even be able to offer someone a ride down. I'll also have a generator and lights for night repairs.

My rig, so you can recognize me. Bikes subject to change.

__________________
Riding a motorcycle is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/

das Rider screwed with this post 07-10-2005 at 03:17 PM
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #14
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
I think a roll call is a good idea. I'd be interested in two days for sure. I'd recommend caging down as well as both my bike and Tony's took some damage. At this point I'll plan on the wife stayin' home.

So far (?)

IN:

gentry
a16tony
88NX250
das rider

MAYBE:

davidovich
Stosh23 (?)
Guglione (sunday)
If it is FS roads and Medium to difficult GS stuff I am IN. If it is the 3 foot mud pits with boulders the size of Luca's nads I am OUT.

I will come up Saturday and depending on how many go the route my GS needs to go - I may stay or bail. I would prefer to stay round the fire....but we shall see.....

Enjoy
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
I'd like to study my maps of the area, gazetteer, atlas, Forest Service, TOPO! with USGS coverage of Washington. Where exactly are you talking about going? Tell me how far down what Highway you go or the towns you pass through, where you plan to park/camp. Or give me geographic coordinates from a GPS.

If it's camping, fine by me, I'll have a truck camper, fully self contained. Plus a 7x14 enclosed trailer for the bikes, so there would be room for other people's gear to be locked up. I might even be able to offer someone a ride down. I'll also have a generator and lights for night repairs.

My rig, so you can recognize me. Bikes subject to change.


Hi,
(Edited)


Suggestions welcome but I'd figure we could stay at "Kaner Flats" which is 4 to 5 miles west of Cliffdell. This is a nice place from what I hear and it would allow us to head off to Whistlin' Jacks in the morning for Gas etc and then head into the hills. I would like to do the ride back up to Government Meadows/Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks and then head over to the Monashtash ridge area. I havent checked yet but I believe we can pop out east of our campsite and head back. This would not be GS'able.

How about we do this ride all day saturday then spend the night and have a leisurely time exploring above cliffdell? That would be something the GS riders could come on.

Thoughts?

__________________


gentry screwed with this post 07-10-2005 at 04:03 PM
gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014