ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #91
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
GS'ers VS Thumpers

First Stosh read your pm......

Okay this is the thought that I had and anyone that is interested is welcome to come along. Meet up Saturday in the am and run down 410 to Rainier. Head around Rainier to Mt St Helens and then back to meet up with those dirty thumper boys, kick there arse, ops, set up camp and eat all there food and drink all there beer. Wake Sunday and ride the GS trails. Eat more of the thumper guys food and drink more of there beer and head home. We can refine the plans a little more as we start roll call.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #92
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Saturday & Sunday:

gentry Thumper
a16tony Thumper
88NX250 Thumper
das Rider GS
Cascade Thumper Thumper
Gremlin9340 GS


Sunday:

Stosh23 GS
Guaglione GS
GSguy GS


Any of you sunday guys gonna come saturday night for camping???
I think I will be there for camping, I have to assume it's Camping with dirt and bugs and stuff at this point. I have to warn you I snore like a bear so put me off in the far corner.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #93
88NX250
Team USA
 
88NX250's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Saturday morning meet at Whistlin' Jacks. 10 a.m.
Ride hard all day.
Camp out nearby (TBD by tomorrow)
- Beer, booze, fire, meat, etc etc
Wake up sunday.
Ride more scenic roads and explore.
Go home.
So ... meeting at Whistlin Jack's at 10...where are we putting our trucks? We thinking about just driving to the campground and then leaving from there or did you find an exclusive trail riding park and ride?
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #94
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
First Stosh read your pm......

Okay this is the thought that I had and anyone that is interested is welcome to come along. Meet up Saturday in the am and run down 410 to Rainier. Head around Rainier to Mt St Helens and then back to meet up with those dirty thumper boys, kick there arse, ops, set up camp and eat all there food and drink all there beer. Wake Sunday and ride the GS trails. Eat more of the thumper guys food and drink more of there beer and head home. We can refine the plans a little more as we start roll call.

You wanna try outdrink an aussie in the woods?? brave, brave man......
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #95
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
So ... meeting at Whistlin Jack's at 10...where are we putting our trucks? We thinking about just driving to the campground and then leaving from there or did you find an exclusive trail riding park and ride?

Campground or if you ask sweetly they will let you leave trucks at the lodge. Campground would be best tho...
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #96
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Updated

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY

gentry Thumper
a16tony Thumper
88NX250 Thumper
das Rider GS
Cascade Thumper Thumper
Gremlin9340 GS


CAMPING SATURDAY

gentry Thumper
a16tony Thumper
88NX250 Thumper
das Rider GS
Cascade Thumper Thumper
Gremlin9340 GS
GSguy GS
Stosh23 GS

SUNDAY

Stosh23 GS
Guaglione GS
GSguy GS
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #97
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
I would think we would need a campground, the forest service guys really frown on just thowing out the tent and seting up camp any place you can find these days.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #98
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
I would think we would need a campground, the forest service guys really frown on just thowing out the tent and seting up camp any place you can find these days.

Yeah, although thats what I usually do around there but higher up in the mtns. das Rider??? Any thoughts?
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #99
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
For you guys that are driving and trailering the bikes is there a meeting spot that us riders could drop off a cooler with food, beer, ice or is there a store up there that we can get some grubb to eat. I have no problem carrying clothes, tent, sleeping bag and maybe even a camp stove but the cooler and bottles of drinking water will be the one that just kills me.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #100
Butthead
the name fits
 
Butthead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Oddometer: 59
Hey is this shindig open to any Butthead who wants come? If so I can make it saturday. I've ridden on most of those trails over there but it's been a few years ago. Theres a good forest service road to the top of Ravens Roost. Theres gas food booze and cabins at Whistlin Jacks. But the are probably full. About 5 miles east of Whistlin Jacks is squaw rock campground and cabins. It has gas and food. When we go we always stay by crow creek campground.If every place is full theres a good spot about 300 yards from the entrance to crow creek. It's big enough to hold hundreds of campers but only about 10 spots have tables. It depends whats going on that weekend it could be full or empty. Also the area is heavily patrolled by sheriffs on dirt bikes. They sometimes come into your campsite and check your bike for current tabs. If your parked in your site they can't give you a ticket. It's not uncommon to go around a corner on a forest service road and see the sheriffs with 10 or 15 dirt bikes pulled over for riding on the road. I'm just gonna ride on the forest roads because my GS has 3 wheels. Butthead
Butthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #101
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
Butthead, the rules are there are no rules. usualy as long as you have two wheels, a sence of humor and you flip me 20 bucks you are in.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #102
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead
Hey is this shindig open to any Butthead who wants come? If so I can make it saturday. I've ridden on most of those trails over there but it's been a few years ago. Theres a good forest service road to the top of Ravens Roost. Theres gas food booze and cabins at Whistlin Jacks. But the are probably full. About 5 miles east of Whistlin Jacks is squaw rock campground and cabins. It has gas and food. When we go we always stay by crow creek campground.If every place is full theres a good spot about 300 yards from the entrance to crow creek. It's big enough to hold hundreds of campers but only about 10 spots have tables. It depends whats going on that weekend it could be full or empty. Also the area is heavily patrolled by sheriffs on dirt bikes. They sometimes come into your campsite and check your bike for current tabs. If your parked in your site they can't give you a ticket. It's not uncommon to go around a corner on a forest service road and see the sheriffs with 10 or 15 dirt bikes pulled over for riding on the road. I'm just gonna ride on the forest roads because my GS has 3 wheels. Butthead

A trike GS??
Its an open ride fer sure. There were shirrifs out there checking to make sure all were street legal. I think all of us are so no worries...
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #103
GSguy
Here's a quarter.
 
GSguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: In the Kings County
Oddometer: 3,139
I've seen one GS side hack and it was years ago. The side car was made some place in the UK. I'm interested because little GS is only 2 years away from being old enough to ride on two wheels or ride in the side hack.
__________________
Team Drips, bring the rain.
GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #104
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
Ron- Family on the East coast...pfft convient excuse! I think those plates on your bike are fake anyways hahaha. I am going to miss you on this ride, I still haven't even seen your 525 in action.

GSers- I meant to press buttons, maybe not that many but hey, looks like it got you to come riding...SEE YOU THERE!

Luca- dude, I meant no harm, I have the utmost respect for a man who can crash in bear poop and keep riding. Please keep the buckles away from my arse.

Stosh- If you can find someone who will loan me a GSA and doesn't care if I wreck it then I would absolutly take you up on the offer of a "head to head battle royal super extreme challenge." I can guarentee you I will crash a few times because I have sat on Luca's bike and I could hardly hold the damn thing up and the engine wasn't even running...I am slightly inseam challenged. If you come this weekend you will probably see me drop my DRZ atleast once. So long as I am moving I am OK though :)

New rubber going on tonight or tommarrow whenever I get to it. I can't decide between 13-44 or 14-44 I guess I will just bring both and the wrench.

Iain - excited
Iain, No problem. I love a good poke here and there. I would lend you mine - but then what do I do.

Going to be a fun weekend and looking forward to meeting you.

Stosh
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #105
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist
 
das Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Yeah, although thats what I usually do around there but higher up in the mtns. das Rider??? Any thoughts?
My friend Stan had this to say after I forwarded your trip report to him. I will call him tomorrow and get some camping suggestions and trail info. He may be available to guide for us.

From Stan:

In regards to riding your bike on the trails, I personally would not ride the BMW bike anywhere on trails, it's too tight. You can ride it on the logging roads but it will be dusty. The enforcement is pretty strict depending on the weekend. If it's Memorial weekend or the 4th of July your going to get caught. On a normal weekend your probably fine but I have still seen them check, It's a matter of your luck. They have Rangers on the Forest Service Roads, Naches Sheriff on pavement (410), and they also have Rangers on XR500's on the trails at times. Although, they're pretty easy to lose. The trails don't require a plate but do require a ORV sticker and Spark Arrestor muffler.

In regards to place to stay. There are no Motels close. There are a lot of areas to camp with your camper though. I would check out Halfway Flats camp ground on the river or you can also camp up the Milk Pond road. When you get to Milk Pond up the road a few miles there is a camp ground on the right. It can get pretty dry and dusty though. I would try to camp by the river, there are a lot of camp grounds up and down the highway.

This is a pretty accurate report on the Naches area. There are some better less traveled single track trails (50 mile loops) that I like to ride. Make sure you get a map at Whistlin Jacks. Sometimes the trails are not marked well and it helps to have something to reference. I'll look at my map this evening and suggest a few trails for you. Feel free to give me a call and I'll share more details or we can discuss some of this. When do you plan to head over? I may be over this weekend.
__________________
Riding a motorcycle is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014