Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #31
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Yes, I checked out the jacket in Cordura. With the Aero Tex liner it seems like it would be very versatile for a long ride.

The only sticking point is still the WP liner UNDERNEATH the outer jacket. Of course, Motoport says this is the best way to go...The Riderwearhouse guys say just the opposite.

Decisions, decisions...

Steve
I have both (a Motoport 2pc with their Aerotex liner) and a Roadcrafter 1pc.

For commuting, I like the Roadcrafter best (unless it's warm out) - for the convenience in wearing street clothes underneath. For anything else, I like the Motoport setup better. It's more comfortable and breathes better (comparing liner-in to RC).

And I do wear my Motoport mesh kevlar from freezing to 113 (actually, so far). Once it gets down into the low 60s, I put on my Warm n Safe Gen WP (waterproof) heated liner jacket and add heated socks and Aerotex pants underneath as it gets colder. If it's really cold, I also add long johns under everything. If I had heated pant liners, that would be even nicer. Long rides in serious cold and my legs do start getting a bit uncomfortble. I will add heated pant liners and heated glove liners, probably for next winter.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I have both (a Motoport 2pc with their Aerotex liner) and a Roadcrafter 1pc.

For commuting, I like the Roadcrafter best (unless it's warm out) - for the convenience in wearing street clothes underneath. For anything else, I like the Motoport setup better. It's more comfortable and breathes better (comparing liner-in to RC).

And I do wear my Motoport mesh kevlar from freezing to 113 (actually, so far). Once it gets down into the low 60s, I put on my Warm n Safe Gen WP (waterproof) heated liner jacket and add heated socks and Aerotex pants underneath as it gets colder. If it's really cold, I also add long johns under everything. If I had heated pant liners, that would be even nicer. Long rides in serious cold and my legs do start getting a bit uncomfortble. I will add heated pant liners and heated glove liners, probably for next winter.
In all fairness they're different membranes in addition to different philosophies on waterproofing and breathability.

It's all relative anyway. I froze in my Motoport pants in the 50's with the liner a couple weeks after getting them because they weren't treated with the recommended 303 so the fabric just absorbed water. I was cozy on top with the Darien jacket and a thin fleece.

The key to all of this is understanding the limitations of whatever gear you choose and using those limitations in a smart, efficient manner.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
In all fairness they're different membranes in addition to different philosophies on waterproofing and breathability.

It's all relative anyway. I froze in my Motoport pants in the 50's with the liner a couple weeks after getting them because they weren't treated with the recommended 303 so the fabric just absorbed water. I was cozy on top with the Darien jacket and a thin fleece.

The key to all of this is understanding the limitations of whatever gear you choose and using those limitations in a smart, efficient manner.
Very true. There is no one size fits all...efficiency and versatility are the key.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,524
I didn't read every response, but I think you need two jackets. Any decent brand would do, but I'd use a Kilimanjaro for the colder, wetter days.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
What "they" are you saying wasn't treated with 303? I've never treated any of my MP gear and don't recall any instructions that I should do so.

But, levain, I think you have the stretch kevlar, right? I have the mesh kevlar and I don't tink it really absorbs water.

I have not ridden in COLD and wet with my MP gear. Just cold or wet or cool and wet. But, in the conditions I've ridden in with my MP gear, it, with the liners, has seemed as warm, to me, as my Roadcrafter 1pc. But, maybe if I rode when it was truly COLD and wet at the same time, I would feel differently.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I have a two piece Roadcrafter and have worn the Jacket in temperatures from over 120f down to single digit f.

The hottest was in Death Valley and I did the trick (I learned here) of putting ice in the pockets. At that temperature a mesh wouldn't help you at all. When moving I found the airflow within my Roadcrafter jacket to do a great job of cooling me as long as I am moving. The Death Valley part was extreme, but much of that ride (over 10,000 km) was in temperatures that hit highs of around 100f. Wearing moisture wicking clothes underneath makes a huge difference. When stopping the Roadcrafter goes off so easily that you don't overheat. [You do look goofy with boots and shorts though so I have sandals at the top of my topcase for stops.] I found that for me the key to riding all day in 100f weather is to keep hydrated, and Gatoraide made all the difference in the world to me.

For colder temperatures I add layers underneath. I have recently added a heated jacket liner and gloves, and have a fleace pant liner from Aerostitch that goes over my street pants but under the riding pants. I can ride all day at temperatures around freezing without getting cold legs, adn a soft shell over the heated jacket and moisture wicking undershirt and shirt below keep me plenty warm.

Tillley travel dress socks in my Alpinestar Web-Goretex boots keep my feet comfy and dry in the hottest weather and down to the 40's f. I have worn them in single digit temperatures for an hour commute and that was cold but for long rides below 40 I would put on heavier socks.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What "they" are you saying wasn't treated with 303? I've never treated any of my MP gear and don't recall any instructions that I should do so.

But, levain, I think you have the stretch kevlar, right? I have the mesh kevlar and I don't tink it really absorbs water.

I have not ridden in COLD and wet with my MP gear. Just cold or wet or cool and wet. But, in the conditions I've ridden in with my MP gear, it, with the liners, has seemed as warm, to me, as my Roadcrafter 1pc. But, maybe if I rode when it was truly COLD and wet at the same time, I would feel differently.
I think warm and wet is just plain not fun... 110f with 98% humidity and there's no good gear unless you can really keep moving. Not so easy to speed along the beach communities of Costa Rica.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #38
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I didn't read every response, but I think you need two jackets. Any decent brand would do, but I'd use a Kilimanjaro for the colder, wetter days.
I never really thought about taking two jackets....I guess because I've never done this on long rides in the States. It is certainly a doable thing. I've got more room to pack stuff on this bike than the law allows...

Cheers,
S
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I think warm and wet is just plain not fun...
That depends. But it's nowhere near as bad as cold and wet.

People can say what they want about wind and dehydration. I've ridden across Death Valley in June in my old Roadcrafter 2pc and I've ridden in 113F (peak) heat for multiple hours in my Motoport mesh kevlar. And when I go riding anywhere hot now, there is no question I where the mesh kevlar. When it's that hot, I normally wear a spandex riding shirt as my only layer under the jacket, and I soak it in water at stops. There is no way I personally would choose to wear my (current) Roadcrafter 1pc when it's that hot.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
People can say what they want about wind and dehydration. I've ridden across Death Valley in June in my old Roadcrafter 2pc and I've ridden in 113F (peak) heat for multiple hours in my Motoport mesh kevlar. And when I go riding anywhere hot now, there is no question I where the mesh kevlar. When it's that hot, I normally wear a spandex riding shirt as my only layer under the jacket, and I soak it in water at stops. There is no way I personally would choose to wear my (current) Roadcrafter 1pc when it's that hot.
couldn't stand my old two piece roadcrafter past about 80f ... just too hot... but two piece RC worked really great in cold nasties. prefer one piece RC for cold nasties with heated gear. one piece RC is just more friendly dealing with all the wires.

my one piece RC is not lined, so it's thinner than two piece RC. so I can tolerate one piece RC up to about 90f ... Motoport mesh kevlar is the ticket 70f to 110f+, but fails in wet/cold just above freezing nasty conditions.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #41
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:

Yeah. Mine are stretch. "They" are stretch Ultra II. I don't know about mesh, but Motoport recommends spraying with Fabricguard to help with the fabric repel water and keep it from soaking in. It is great stuff and works well, I just didn't know about it until I whined to Wayne about freezing in his gear
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote