Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
If you're tailgated, you're too slow. If you're too slow, pull over. Problem solved.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #17
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
I just slow down gradually then wave them past......then tailgate them back.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
If you're tailgated, you're too slow. If you're too slow, pull over. Problem solved.
I was going 65 in a 55.

I slowed down to 30 but he never passed. I brake checked the guy but apparently he didn't get the hint. I turned around to gesture "back off cock-face" but he doesn't read sign language. He eventually passed me while I nearly topped 70 so I matched him to be a dick and keep him in the opposite lane since I was livid by this point. Once I let him pass, I then proceeded to tailgate him.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I believe most East coast rural cagers are by far the most fucktarded since everyone thinks they're Ricky Bobby.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #19
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
If I'm in line of traffic then it's not that I'm going too slow, but that one cager somewhere up there is. On eastern roads there can be fewer places to pass. Pulling over may offer temporary relief if one is willing to move to the end of the line repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
I believe most East coast rural cagers are by far the most fucktarded since everyone thinks they're Ricky Bobby.
E. coast cagers can be pretty fucktarded.

It looks to me like there are generally 2 varieties of tailgaters: unconcious and impatient.

The unconcious ones may move back with just a signal. putting my left hand down and pushing back is usually clear. Cager may see it as "asking" for room or may see it as an unwelcome order.

Impatient ones just see everyone as being in the way and are more likely to resent my presence on the road no matter what.

There IS a place where tailgaiting can be used to our advantage. That is when approaching a left-hand turn when there are cages in front and cages in back. Let the cage behind get closer then when you turn on your turn signal and brake light they are right there "entrained" or "in step" with your speed and changes in your speed. It eliminates the chance that they'll approach at a closing speed of 50 while you're preparing to turn.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I keep a handful of pennies in my tankbag. Toss a few over my shoulder or out the sunroof if I'm in the car = tailgater gone...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Several strategies that work well:

1) Flashing LED brake lights. Gets them to wake up.

2) Stand up for a short while. Don't know why this works but I learned it here and it's fairly effective.

3) Do some apparently random turns/swerves across your lane and back. Wakes them up and makes them think you're crazy/unpredictable.
A standing happy dance does wonders for freeking out drivers and making them back off.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post

I just pull over and let them go by, then follow at a safe distance (plus some) so I don't get caught up in their mayhem.
+1. Easy and 100% effective.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,050
too many angry people out there armed with 4 wheel bike killing machines...
too many clueless people not paying attention....

personally I don't think pissing them off (if they are the angry variety) would be in my best interest, so no pennies for me thanks.

letting them by is as many have said, easy & effective.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #24
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
If I can read your VIN off your dashboard through my mirrors, you're too close, asshole.

Any remedies for dealing with cagers who apparently have troubles with depth perception?

Last thing I need is some f*ck-d*ck plowing over me in his sh*tty minivan because he was too busy admiring my "where I've been stickers" on my panniers while simultaneously hating his life because he drives a minivan.
Pocket full of small rocks. Don't toss them over your shoulder.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
I was going 65 in a 55.
Posted speed limit doesn't matter to the one behind you. You're still too slow.

Quote:
I slowed down to 30 but he never passed. I brake checked the guy but apparently he didn't get the hint. I turned around to gesture "back off cock-face" but he doesn't read sign language.
I said "pull over", not "slow down" or "brake check" or "turn around" or "be an asshat in some other way".

Quote:
He eventually passed me while I nearly topped 70 so I matched him to be a dick and keep him in the opposite lane since I was livid by this point. Once I let him pass, I then proceeded to tailgate him.
Great, really great, you're sooooo grown up... You get what you give.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #26
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
too many angry people out there armed with 4 wheel bike killing machines...
too many clueless people not paying attention....

personally I don't think pissing them off (if they are the angry variety) would be in my best interest, so no pennies for me thanks.

letting them by is as many have said, easy & effective.
I agree lots of angry people out there. I figure it's never a good idea to get in a road rage incident while on a bike. I found that slowing down or brake checks seldom seem to work. In fact they normally piss people off and they get closer. What does seem to work is just a friendly back off kind of gesture. Just take my left hand and make kind of a pushing back motion. If the person just wasn't paying attention it normally wakes them up and they back off. If they are jerks it doesn't work. Then I just take some action to not be in front of them anymore.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Had a guy behind me the other day, he was talking on his phone and almost hit me as he turned onto the road behind me. I pulled over and let him by,, at the next light he gives me the "what the fuck asshole" look and rolls his window down. "What, did ya think I was gonna hit you? I wasn't gonna hit you" I said "I figured your phone call musta been pretty important to you, so I got out of your way, don't take it personally but I'd like to make it home alive." He then goes on to say "at least I wasn't texting"

WTF??????/
Our society is completely fucked up. And, disappointingly, you are still not allowed to just shoot people like that even if it would be doing a great service to others.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
I try a few different things.

if possible, get another car in between you and them.

Turn your head and give the a good look and maybe a back off wave (friendly style)

Stand up ( I've had great results with this one)

And finally just get out the way and let them go.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #29
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
tailgaters

gastone says " I braked checked a tailgater only to have him pull up beside me and swerve into me and make contact with my bars...twice. Now I'm inclined to let them go by."

Some of the idiots who tailgate have no understanding of the danger and the life threatening risk they create. I don't mess with any of them when I'm riding. Either pull over and let them pass or leave them behind in the dust. Just get clear.

And for the record, drivers in the US are far more respectful then in my Canada. Tailgating is the normal way of driving for many here; I've rarely been followed too closely in the US. Our highway #401 between Montreal and Toronto is to be avoided on a motorcycle.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
I was going 65 in a 55.

I slowed down to 30 but he never passed. I brake checked the guy but apparently he didn't get the hint. I turned around to gesture "back off cock-face" but he doesn't read sign language. He eventually passed me while I nearly topped 70 so I matched him to be a dick and keep him in the opposite lane since I was livid by this point. Once I let him pass, I then proceeded to tailgate him.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I believe most East coast rural cagers are by far the most fucktarded since everyone thinks they're Ricky Bobby.
road rage is not the answer for tailgaters, your a moron
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote