Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #136
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 878
So, another crazy story from the road. Tent space hooked me up with a guy in Socorro NM, and both my gps's decided his road didn't exist. After being on the dirt and dumping the bike, shattering a blinker, I gave up on it and went to a motel because I dont feel like pitching a tent at 2200 (midnight eastern time).

So I jumped into the motel 6 where I noticed a guy, all alone, grabbing a room. He has a military ID so I strike up a conversation. We end up splitting the room, saving some cash, and I have another place to stay for dirt cheap.

Update: Breakfast was at Denny's and he picked up the tab. Airborne!

Something yellow this way comes

Jrjoyce2007 screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 07:36 AM
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #137
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

I'll back track now that I remember I never posted about Miami....

So no shit there I was...lol... Coming in US1, jumped on I95 to quick access the city. I stop in a Ft. Lauderdale starbucks (in the most flamboyant part of town might I add) and being to look at tent space. The only person in Miami on TS was in Jacksonville, FL for the weekend where I had just come from. I meet a woman named Judith, and she gives me her # incase I need directions or anything around the city.

I motor around to all the camp sites, full... Go to the major hotel chains, booked... I call my buddy Audstanley to see if he can hook me up with anything because coverage want so hot on the cell. One motel had an opening. I motor in, and everything is in spanish, abs I shared a wall with a strip club. WRONG SIDE OF TOWN HOMBRE!! I get out of mexiville asap, and call Judith to see if camping on the beach is an option, or if she knows anything I might have over looked.

Woman lets me sleep on her couch, makes me right at home offering drinks and foods. I had already eatten and it was probably 2300 eastern at this point. I just go to bed, abs in the AM she sends me off with 2 extra bungie cords, and 3 rice crispy treats. Incredible for only knowing me an hour over coffee small talks.

After everything I told her where ti find this thread. Thank you for everything Judith, your awesome.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #138
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Sounds like a fun time looking for a place that night. Glad it worked out. That's what the journey is all about.
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #139
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Found my way into Phoenix AZ for the evening. It's beautiful out this way. Probably going to mill around a few days lost in the desert. See what I can find. I'll have all the nikon photos uploaded tomorrow hopefully.

If you are ever going to Phoenix AZ and you are up north by Flagstaff or Winslow, take SR87 down. Absolutely GORGEOUS road, and it hugs the mountain for 160 + miles. Lots of camping, hiking and things to see. I am coming back to play in Strawberry and Pine AZ on 87 sometime. Looked like a blast

Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #140
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer: 118
Yes! 87 is a great Hwy and that area is awesome. Watch out in the Phoenix area traffic, those people are busy and do not look out for bikes.
Get outside the city, and it's a riders place though.
Stay safe out there and we know you're having a good time.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #141
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

I want to live in Phoenix. This place is down right gorgeous, close to all sorts of national parks, all kinds of awesome roads to ride, and everything is so scenic

Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #142
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Apparently it's bike week here in Phoenix. Looks like I'll have to stick around a minute and get in with the crowd

Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #143
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Not to terribly pleased with the oem chain I have. Freaking rivit chain almost forces you to go to a shop. I WAS going to replace sprockets and chain today.... guess not ghead: and I'm not buying a rivit gun to haul around.

And it's sunday...

Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #144
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

While I wait for the motorcycle shops to open up around here, and because everything is in working condition (I just want to have everything solid as can be before embarking on Utah), we will go play!

View Larger Map
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #145
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjoyce2007 View Post
Not to terribly pleased with the oem chain I have. Freaking rivit chain almost forces you to go to a shop. I WAS going to replace sprockets and chain today.... guess not ghead: and I'm not buying a rivit gun to haul around.

And it's sunday...

Hit up the local inmates. Put the feelers out and I guarantee someone will give you a garage to tool in and probably some local stuff to check out.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #146
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Ah man! You rode up the Apache Trail? Awesome road and some nice dirt road to get away from it all.
Did you pull into the bustling Metropolis of Tortilla Flat?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #147
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
Ah man! You rode up the Apache Trail? Awesome road and some nice dirt road to get away from it all.
Did you pull into the bustling Metropolis of Tortilla Flat?
I don't have the slightest what your referencing, and that is the ride plan for tomorrow. Today I just tinkered and adjusted. 5000 miles in and everything needed a good tightening.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #148
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Flickr is up and running with my photos. Link on post 1 on the top. Posted some of them to the forum. Also did a photo update and filled in some holes when the phone camera didn't want to give me results and stopped working.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #149
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjoyce2007 View Post
I don't have the slightest what your referencing, and that is the ride plan for tomorrow. Today I just tinkered and adjusted. 5000 miles in and everything needed a good tightening.

OK, I see that was Google Maps, and not a GPS track. You'll have fun, but watch out on Fish Creek Canyon, steep, dirt, 1.5 lanes wide down the side of a cliff. But it's all like a miniature Grand Canyon in areas out there. State Hwy 88 runs out of pavement just east of Tortilla Flat.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #150
Jrjoyce2007 OP
ADVenture Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
OK, I see that was Google Maps, and not a GPS track. You'll have fun, but watch out on Fish Creek Canyon, steep, dirt, 1.5 lanes wide down the side of a cliff. But it's all like a miniature Grand Canyon in areas out there. State Hwy 88 runs out of pavement just east of Tortilla Flat.
Noted. I'll have to grab the tracks if i can and be a real adventure rider

Edit: I see what your talking about. This is going to be EPIC! I can't wait. If you don't hear from me or see some photos, you know what probably happened on that fat ass Wee. WEE right off a cliff Totally kidding....kinda

Jrjoyce2007 screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 09:07 PM