Thumb

Very Cool RR! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #137
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I take it the "range" included fuel jugs correct? No way I got 200 miles out of my 3.2 Clark tank on my 525.
you're spot on! Chuck, Bruce, & I all had the same 3.2 gallon Clark tank, and we each carried another 1/2 gallon (Kevin had those massive jugs)--

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #138
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,356
Awesome report. Thanks for sharing.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #139
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,833
On to Coco's! Coco for El Presendte

The wind on the slab sucked, slab sucks in Baja. We got back onto another Charla Head dirt road, Coco's was not far.

Got to sign Coco's book. Here Coco dates the book, we must have been his first visitor today.

I think now is a great time to introduce Coco and a little film interviewing Coco and take a stroll outside.

I was shooting a little video, walking around outside. A biker comes riding by, a girl and a bored-out XR-250. Kevin walks out, then the lady and Kevin embrace. Big Sprocket knows everyone.

Kacey Smith, AKA The Lizard Lady.

Baja GPS Guidebooks is her web site. This chick is el famouso.
http://www.bajagpsguide.com/index.ph...id=7&Itemid=69

What a wealth of information she has. Really a great resource for any Baja ride. Kacey has likely made more trails, mapped more trails and ridden more trails in Baja than most. We later had dinner with her, Tim and Will; her partners in crime. Her stories were incredible. I will tell you one of her stories later.

Kacey got to Coco's before her gang. They were making a trail or connecting a trail near here and staying in Gonzaga Bay. She told me that she likes to ride in the summer when there is 12 plus hours of daylight. I can't imagine how hot it is in the summer here. There is also an interesting thread here on ADV about the Lizard lady.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747324

My interview with the man himself.

Coco was endearing. He and Kacey go way back, she is like his guardian or maybe a daughter. The history here is steep in Baja, like many places Kevin took us to. I have been waiting a long time to meet Coco.

The light s fading, we have 25 miles to get to Alfono's in the Bahia San Luis Gonzaga or Ganzaga bay.

The road is very rough, wash boards and Charla Heads. We are going fast and I feel that unsettling wobble from the rear tire. Damn it, I got a flat.

Chopo takes charge and we discover a screw driver sticking out of the side wall, right next to the rim. It is a mother to get it out. It is like 6 inches long, one of those reversible screw drivers you get in a motorcycle tool bag.

I was the flash light holder and took this picture while Chopo put air in the tire.

The screw driver went in the bottom of the tire and came out the side. A new tube is installed and it's dark thirty.

This is going to be bad, three of riding into the dark and a terrible road. Kevin and Chuck are at the entrance to the little town on the bay. They drink an 8 pack while they wait.

I ride in the middle, Bruce is on the left and Magoo is on my right. We are going exactly 33 mph. I'm in the gravel but the others are on the edge. About half way, I see Bruce make this massive unloading move. I hear the rear wheel slamming, Bruce somehow holds on tho the bike. He came up on a wash out, followed by a most rude gap. Chris even heard the rear tire and swing arm make contact. Bruce is good on a bike and also lucky. In the distance we see a bluish strobe. I'm thinking it's an airplane. The light is miles and miles away. After what seemed like hours later we come up on Big Sprocket and Mr. Speed control Issues. They were worried only for a little while. Kacey and her group stopped to see what is up and she later told them the little yellow bike had a flat. They did not, I repeat, DID NOT offer us a beer. There was an empty container and empty bottles. The airplane light turned out to be a flash light that Magoo picked up for Kevin. I think is was a trillion candle power, likely can be seen from space.

We share another awesome feast of seafood and join a table with Kacey and Will.

Kacey talks about the Baja Bug, a few horror stories. She said once a guy broke his femoral artery. With a a simple statement, monotone; she says it takes 3 hours to bleed out while you hold their hand. Or 24 hours to die after a bad wreck with internal injuries. We talk about Coast Guard rescue. The Coast Guard is the one's to call and she said it could take 24 to 36 hours to get the chopper in the air and for Gods sake, to find you.

That little Baja bug has been squirming around in my mind since the Sand Luge. Kacey just made a strong impression on us discussing the Baja bug.

Sleep again came easy except for me. I was willing to contribute in any way I can and I took the couch. The darn couch was 2 inches too short, it sucked and I was disgruntled but sleep with the soft and peaceful sound of SNOORING lulled me to dreams of femoral arterial bleed outs and internal bleeding.

Tomorrow we get to meet the Baja Bug, up close and personal.

AteamNM screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 01:47 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #140
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #141
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Bruce took many awesome flower pictures. For Little Wan and her friend Lady Bug.

Oops, took a little time off the internets and fell behind...
Thanks for the flowers!

I'm so sorry about your friend. That was a touching post.
San Francisquito is a lovely place for a memorial.

Nice riding, you guys! You found some really good stuff.
Wow, scary stories from Kacey. Guess we got lucky with Scott...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #142
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,246
Tony, loved the Coco video and interview!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #143
burque magoo
master of disaster....

our ride report leader was out riding near Cabezon, NM today, (short little 275 mile jaunt), so the next chapter of this story might be delayed just a tad....

(you da man, Tony!)

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #144
Big Sprocket
n00b

Oddometer: 4
A little story here: While at the turn for Gonzaga Bay (near Pemex Station) with darkness approaching, Mr. Throttle Control Issues (Chuck) and the Big Sprocket are pondering and waiting for the remaining three. After waiting for a while, we finally see what looks to be 3 moto headlights coming our way. Big Sprocket asks TCI, How far away do you think they are? They are a long way off B.S., TCI replies. Big Sprocket replied, As your Baja guide, as well as profiient in measuring distances by sight...I would say they are an 8-pack away. Without hesitation, taking one for the team, B.S. lit a fire in that big 690 and ripped a whole half a click over to Rancho Grande and brought back an 8-pack of Modelo Especial Cans, pronto! Life is tough in the desert and you need to stay hydrated. So we wait and drink as one after another set of car and moto headlights go by and it's not them. More beers go down! I have my LED strobe in one hand flashing at another set of moto headlights coming up the road, and a Cerveza in the other. TCI and B.S. are almost out of beer. Not good. Big Sprocket wonders if there is time for another 8-pack. But by the time that thought passes, the rest of the group arrives to our flashing strobe, safe and sound and to 8 empty beer cans. It"s hell to be Irish, especially in Baja!
Big Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #145
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Holy cow, Big Sprocket has his first post!!!

Quote:
Big Sprocket A little story here
Oddometer: 1
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #146
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Amazing!!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #147
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Awesome first post Big Sprocket!

With you and Chuck, an 8-pack would mean they were fairly close I would presume!!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #148
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Epic tale of the trail!!!!!!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #149
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern rider View Post
Subscribed! Can't wait to hear the details of this ride!! Should be a good one!

Paul.
I just connected the dots thanks to NMTB. Next year Paul, you and Curtis go back and finish your ride with us.

Thanks for riding along. And we didn't even need Malcolm Smith.

More about the NMTB Baja ride report that was never finished:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556285

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #150
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I just connected the dots thanks to NMTB. Next year Paul, you and Curtis go back and finish your ride with us.

Thanks for riding along. And we didn't even need Malcolm Smith.
We're already talking about it Tony! Gotta work out the details!!

I would love to meet Malcom again under better circumstances though!