Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #76
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Friends who were in Baja recently said it was cold and windy....more this winter than most others, even though they were once caught in an ice storm north of Ojos Negros....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #77
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse18 View Post
Awesome progress on the RR. Walmartians are alway going to show up...just gotta zone them out. Beach riding looks like pure sex.
Speaking of sex on the beach. Actually Chuck and I had an encounter on a cactus trail that Magoo was unfortunate enough to ride up and witness. I will let Magoo chime in here.

AteamNM screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 01:57 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #78
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
Tony, that video was pure awesome! You guys got to do the part of the ride that we did not so a little jealousy here!

The beach riding looks absolutely amazing and you gotta love Chuck on the stand up wheelies at God knows what speed! He is a beast!!

Epic... keep it coming!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #79
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Friends who were in Baja recently said it was cold and windy....more this winter than most others, even though they were once caught in an ice storm north of Ojos Negros....
Two days after leaving Mike's Sky Ranch, we were told there was a huge dump of snow there, the same storm that put snow all over the nearby Tucson Mountains and south into Baja. Our next day of riding was spectacular in a misty & rainy sort of way. The Sand Ludge was an out of body experience with no dust and grip & rip traction. After this day, I think we all slowed down a bit. High speed riding in Baja is a bad recipe. Chuck was crazy fast in this cold rain day of riding coming next.

Punta San Francisquito was by far my most favorable place we stayed. I could stay there 2 or 3 days easy. Memories of our morning meeting on the beach will be embedded as a mental J peg file forever.

Quote:
The Sand Ludge was an out of body experience with no dust and grip & rip traction.
I have video of the Ludge.

Oh yea, and i hit a cow.....

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:42 PM
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #80
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Speaking of sex on the beach. Actually Chuck and I had an encounter on a cactus trail that Magoo was unfortunate enough to ride up and witness. I will let Magoo chime in here.
I was cracking up when I rode up and "suprised" you two; didn't wanna risk taking a photo of the "short work".........(camera would have broke for sure)----

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #81
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
The video!!!!!!!

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #82
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post

The beach riding looks absolutely amazing and you gotta love Chuck on the stand up wheelies at God knows what speed! He is a beast!!

If you watch the sand and rear tire, you can see when he is on the gas as well as the shift. Watch the sand spray from the tire. Started in fourth, shift and shift. I think the second wheelie he started in sixth? I was also informed that a sit down wheelie is way easier. Respect Captn' Nemo. Moto eye candy all week long.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #83
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
If you watch the sand and rear tire, you can see when he is on the gas as well as the shift. Watch the sand spray from the tire.

Respect Captn' Nemo. Moto eye candy all week long.
Speaking of Captain Nemo's skilz, he e-mailed me this pic from a ride out to Cabezon, New Mexico he did yesterday.....(yes, the Captain has fully recovered from his final day dismount in Baja!)----I'll let A-Team fill in the details on that event--

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #84
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
I saw that photo this morning. Still talking about that one. That shot is insane!! Front page material for sure!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #85
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,819
Nice report Chris! Looks like you guys had a great time.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #86
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Ride Day 4
Guerrero Negro to San Francisquito

Today's ride was a contrast in weather, it was misty and raining. Hmm, this could be interesting. The plan was to ride south across the coastal plains, down into Baja California Sur. Clarification here is in order, the two providence of Baja are north and south. Technically, Baja Del Norte is Baja California and the southern providence is Baja California Sur. Apparently when you cross into southern Baja, you have to pay some tourist tax or something? But our route by-passed the check point and we rolled through deep sand two tracks, the ridding was, typical deep sand wobble and throttle. Mid day we made it down to a highway that leads west to Bahia Tortugas. A small town out on the point f Bahia de Sebastian Vizcaino. It would be cool to go visit there, but we turn left, east toward Vizcaino.

Stopped raining for a bit. El Sprockito Grande. Hard to get in front of him to snap a picture.

Chuck has a way of walking up and looking at your bike. Then he points out something like......., uh your missing a bolt on your throttle housing Ateam. Rut Roh . So we roll into Vizcaino, I would say an industrial town at a major cross roads on Highway 1.
The wind is blowing with mist and scattered rain.

We find a hardware store and this place had everything you need. Car parts, appliances, tools, Baja lights, tires, fishing gear, toys and there were many people working inside the store.

And we disassemble the throttle. Let me clarify, Bruce takes charge when a wrench is in order, so I was an observer and speculator. Always a team effort, Team Magoo!

Bruce and Chuck at work. What the hell does Bruce have in his right hand?

We needed a 4 mm bolt. After many attempts, the store found one bolt that was a bit too long. Bruce went back inside, much Spanish was spoken and Bruce came out with a couple of washers, the throttle housing is fixed but the cable is dragging. The throttle is disassembled several more times, attempts to lube the cable with WD-40 and general WTF? Oh well, I can ride it the DRZ fine with a sticky throttle, it never was an issue. Oh and I remembered when I returned to New Mexico that I had a complete set of throttle cables inside my fender bag.

Bruce goes back into the store and asks how much for the bolt and washers. The guy says no charge, wheelie, illustrating a motorcycle popping a wheelie. I say no problemo, Chuck - Chuck!

We inform Chuck that payment is a wheelie. Chuck gets this sly grin on his face and say okay. At this point every employee and half the kids in town are gathered outside in the wind. Chuck rides about a quarter mile down the main highway, turns around and stalls traffic behind him. Bruuup, shift, shift and here he comes down the highway, front tire turned full lock, standing and whizzing by until he had to stop for a traffic light. Bravo Captn' Nemo

Leaving town the rain starts again, we are headed to the Sand Luge. Big Sprocket said this is one of his favorite trails, it should be spectacular wet! Well, again I'm thinking this is gonna be hell. I was wrong. It was throttle whicking city. This is a Go Pro moment.

With that said, time for a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-03...yh5Ctg&index=1

This section of well packed sand riding could not keep the throttle in check. Kevin is just flat out fast. Today, Chuck got bored going slow to allow me to film him in the absent of dust and so he takes off. I caught a few glimpses of the two speed freaks way out in front. I was going near 50, I am not used to going fast and I was loving it while also very worried about a possible wreck and cactus encounter. A fine line in speed management. In the back of mind I was soon understanding that Baja is big & remote. If something bad happens, it would be a nightmare to find help, to arrange a rescue. So after the Sand Luge, I started to slow down a bit. I think we all started to slow down and, hence, become a bit more cautious.

Also note the rear wheel spin on the sand n the video. Look at Big Sprockets tire tracks. I kept thinking his tire was bigger. Nope, his engine is bigger. That damn bike is always spinning on loose stuff. He and Chuck would leave massive squirmy tracks in the sand at high speed. Ripping is defined by their tracks.

Kevin tells us there is a cool mission if we want to detour. We all agree so we make about a 20 mile ride due east to Santa Gertrudus.

Built in 1751

Evidence of nearby copper mining eh.

The primary reasons there is a mission here beside neighboring copper, an oasis.

Kevin and Bruce have been looking at our maps and consulting with his GPS. There must be a way from the mission due east to get to Cabo San Miguel on the coast. It looks to be less than 20 miles but there is a big ass mountain between the mission and the coast. We take many trails, we ride behind old barns, there is water or aquia's bordering the mountain base. We truly make a valid attempt to find a way over and through. We turn around, explore another canyon, we stop and consult many times. Bruce is determined and Kevin is all for making a new route. However the sun is setting, our time is limited as well as the gas thirsty KTM's are gonna need refreshing. The decision is made to turn around and head back on our Charla Head sandy road.

But then Bruce stops, says give me a few minutes as he stares at the mountain and a game trail heading off in rock garden & cactus maze. After about 10 minutes of waiting, Capo comes back, dejected and vowing he will come back, maybe from the coastal side, via sail boat.

Yea, a sail boat. Bruce wants to charter a mega sail boat that can sleep a dozen or more, rig up a deck on the bow to hold motorcycles and harbor hop. Unload bikes, go 150 miles into the bad lands and camp for a night. Come back to the boat and cruise on down the coast. Hmm, plan your work and work your plan.

Our next stop after the Sand Luge was a copper mine in El Arco.

Quote:
In the El Arco region of central Baja California, lode and placer mining for gold has beendone sporadically since the late 19th century. The potential for copper at El Arco has beenrecognized in the late sixties of the 20th century. Since the seventies Grupo Mexico, thecurrent owner of the El Arco porphyry copper deposit, has completed more than 75,000meters diamond drilling in 252 drill holes.

European settlement of Baja California began in 1697 with the founding of a Jesuit mission in Loreto. Until their expulsion in 1768 the Jesuits extended a chain of missions over the southern two-thirds of the peninsula to Santa Maria, their last one, founded in 1766. Their Franciscan successors, with far greater governmental support, given for geopolitical reasons, founded a mission at San Fernando Velicatá and pushed on overland to San Diego whence the California mission system was extended. Baja California thus served as a strategic corridor to the frontier province up which personnel, livestock, plant propagating materials, tools, and church furniture were carried. It was regarded as a more secure route than the one by sea against strong northwest winds and a south-setting current. Briefly, from 1775 to 1781, another overland route from Sonora was used, but that was cut by the successful Yuma Indian revolt.

In 1773 Baja California was transferred to the Dominican order which missionized the gentile Indians of the Frontier between San Fernando Velicatá and San Diego and tended the declining older Jesuit establishments through the end of Spanish colonial times and into the period of Mexican independence. Records are less abundant in the first half of the 19th century than in earlier mission times, but until after the middle of the latter century there is no report of wheeled vehicles or roads for them anywhere in the peninsula. Note 1 Transport was exclusively along mule trails, a network of which came to connect widely spaced missions and other oasis settlements and ranches. Less affected by accidental topography than roads, these trails run fairly directly between points of interest. In rugged, subsequently abandoned regions, as around Mission Santa Maria, they can still be followed.
A backwash from the California gold rush brought a wave of prospectors into Baja California, and by 1870 a number of successful gold, silver, and copper mining properties had been located as well as a myriad of unsuccessful ones. For a time even high grade copper ores were hauled as much as 50 kilometers to coastal landings on muleback, as from Mina de San Fernando near San Fernando Velicatá, to the coast at SanCarlos. Note 2 The need for heavy equipment such as boilers and stamp mills, however, was an inducement to construct wagon roads to coastal points, and once they had been established other mines would tie into them. By 1910 the peninsula had a broken net of mine roads, especially in the Northern Territory http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/BajaRoadPages/Route1/RoadHistory.html

We pass through Rancho Pedro Blanca, thinking there may be gas and lodging. The sun is dropping, shadows are getting longer, the late evening light is magic, soft.

Kevin and Chuck are way out in front, I am in the middle and Chris and Bruce are in the back. We space out maybe a quarter mile or more because the dust is bad. I see many signs of cattle, very fresh signs. I know that a cow strike or animal strike is common in Baja, especially near dark thirty. I am situationally aware of the risks, it's heads up riding.

The cactus forest is dense, almost a wall at a brisk pace. Then in the right corner of my eye is see movement. Three cows are entering the road. I lock up both brakes, I'm in a standing position because I can see better. the bike stalls, I swerve left. I'm thinking that I'm going to miss them, the sound of the silent bike is strange as the Suzuki skids. At the very last second one stupid cow decides to jump, like in the air. Wham, contact is made. The whumfp sound of the impact is rude. The bike is falling over to my left, I pull it back up. I didn't wreck but the cow rolled once on the ground, stood up and his eyes were the size of dinner plates. I swear the cow said dude, WTF? My heart is pounding, I can feel it beating hard, I hear nothing but the clinking sound of the dead engine. My legs are numb. I look behind me, where is Magoo? I can't believe I just hit a cow. Stupid cow. Wow! I'm not hurt, so I may as well go on, Magoo and Bruce are back there somewhere. There is brown fur on my right side bark buster.

In El Progresso we find gas at a ranch.

It is now nearly dark after gas. We have a dark ride into San Francisquito.

I am a nervous wreck as I feel like a cow magnet now. The ride is uneventful but is damn dark. I don't like riding at dark and my DRZ's headlight is a monster compared to the KTM's. Two things I will be sure to have on my bike on the next trip, very large handle bar guards and a high powered head light.

As we approach a small building, the place we are going to stay at, there is really only one light on. The place looks like a dive. It is very quiet, the sea of Cortez is tranquil.

We are welcomed. They bring out cervesa's. Later they turn on the generator, they even had WiFi, the place is now alive with Team Magoo.

Happy happy happy. We are thirsty .

Chillaxing

Delicious, absolutely incredibly good fish taco's. I think we may have eaten 30 or more.

Our Pulapa's.

Now this is riding and living large in Baja.

There is a major storm to the north, dumping snow in Phoenix. We are just far enough south to only feel the edges of the rain and much across the southern USA is a massive snow storm. We are missing nothing back home but winter.
It is cold outside. Sleeping with gear on, not quit ATGATT.

What a great day. Sleep comes easy after day 4 of riding.

So far we have averaged 200 miles per day. Tomorrow we have an easy day. Tomorrow we have a beach side meeting, a very special part of our trip. The Genesis of our trip. I think David Garret will appreciate the next segment.

The next day also includes a cacti encounter, we visit a jail, I get to film a Johnny Campbell ride whoops and the Green Door Hell Trail.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 08:00 AM
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #87
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:

It is now nearly dark after gas. We have a dark ride into San Francisquito.

Delicious, absolutely incredibly good fish taco's. I think we may have eaten 30 or more.

As part of the Green Door, we explore the Window Rock Trail. Truly the best trial trail on the whole ride, even better than leaving Mike's Sky Ranch.

Man!
Great post.

We took the Sta. Gertrudis road out of El Arco but didn't stop.
I was wondering what it looked like - thanks for the pics!

Home sweet home - with the hamburglar curtains!

And, Window Rock. sigh.
I know you're going to make us super sad that we didn't do Window Rock.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #88
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Man!
Great post.

We took the Sta. Gertrudis road out of El Arco but didn't stop.
I was wondering what it looked like - thanks for the pics!

Home sweet home - with the hamburglar curtains!

And, Window Rock. sigh.
I know you're going to make us super sad that we didn't do Window Rock.

The mission was surreal. I sprinkled a bit of holy water in my face.

Yes Captain Magoo commented on your report and the Hamburgler curtains. And of course the puppy Magoo.

I edited out the window rock comment, I got a day ahead but it was awesome.

Quote:
Great post.
Thank you Mrs. Little Wans.

Quote:
RideFreak Nice report Chris! Looks like you guys had a great time.
Chris is the Captain, it was Chris's ride. I am the report guy. But I would never be writing this missive without Captain Magoo.

Thanks for riding with us.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #89
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Great ride out of Vizcaino....old Baja 1000 route....did it once solo after rains....ponds up to tank but do drowning

San Francisquito....my favourite Baja place no matter how it changes...

2005:

2007:

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #90
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
motoged
Gnarly Adventurer

San Francisquito....my favourite Baja place no matter how it changes...
I so agree. I love this place and could stay there for 3 days to explore and soak in the beach. The place is no destination resort, but so much pure Baja. The food was so good, the owners were so gracious and they laughed at and with us.

Post card here:

Thanks for posting.