User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
990 Fuel Pump Won't Seal

My (2008 990) fuel pump has been leaking for months. Usually just a couple drops a day, so I've ignored it and parked over a piece of cardboard.

I finally got around to tackling it yesterday.

The pump was stuck pretty good, but after much coaxing, I freed it from the tank. The original O-rings (36k miles) were swollen and ugly, but not noticeably torn.

I spent probably half an hour cleaning the hardened amber 'fuel' from around the hole in the tank and the base of the fuel filter; I got it all quite smooth and clean. I replaced both O-rings (as well as both filters), lubed it up with Vaseline, and pressed it back in. It was a tight fit, so I used the 4 bolts to pull it flush (going around in circles tightening them a quarter turn each time. All seemed well.

I threw everything back together, went for a 10 minute ride, and parked it.

An hour or so later I notice a small puddle of gas beneath it. I saw dropplets hanging from the pump bolts, the bottom of the pump, and running down the skid plate beneath the pump.

Tore it all down again, and popped the filter back out. The O-rings looked and felt perfectly fine.

This time I lubed it up with a gasoline rated, non-hardening gasket slime. I pressed it back in extremely carefully, making sure there was no way I dislodged the O-ring. Buttoned it back up, threw gas in, and another 10 minute ride. All seemed well again, and it sat overnight without leaking.

Today I went out for a ride. After 45 minutes I checked it and everything was bone dry still.

An hour and a half later, it's dripping again. Again, dropplets hanging on the fuel pump bolts, so I'm quite confident that's where the leak is. It does not look like anything else in the area (hoses/barbs) could leak and accumulate gas where I'm seeing it.

So I've got it back apart again and I've wiped all the remaining lube/slime off everything. The plastic in and around the tank hole is smooth. The O-rings still look brand new. The O-rings came from CJ Designs.

I've been tightening the 4 bolts as much as I feel confident, knowing they're in plastic. I know I'm compressing the O-ring, and I see the lube press out on all 4 sides. But I'm very hesitant to really crank on them.

Not really sure where to go from here. Any advise? Tips?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Unrelated to the leak... I just foun this in the bottom of the tank:

Small plastic tube, threaded on one end, filter material on the other. Was it a part of this fuel system? Or did the previous owner drop it in the tank?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Mine were both off the petcocks floating around.

As for the leak... how does the threaded serts in the bottom of tank look, could it be from one of those?
I use a nut driver not a ratchet when i button mine back up, never had any leakage yet. Sounds like you got the o-ring in OK and properly lubed, you know when the first one slides in.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
I believe the main job of sealing is accomplished with the smaller oring from the 2.

So I would think this is where you should concentrate your attention. I would also like to ask if there is any little cracks at the fuel pump base, or at the metal parts?
Can't think of anything else.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
leaks

Mine started leaking at 10K mi tried new O rings didn't work ended up using permatex the right stuff not a drop in 7,500 mi, the round hole wasnt round.
It;s like standing in the rain with a strainer hoping for a bucket of water
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Mike, I didn't know that you had a 990. Is this what you replaced the Super T with? Gefr can hook you up with filters and O-rings while you're in there poking around. Great product.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did replace the tenere with a 990! That was around May I think... About exactly 10k miles ago. There are definitely pros and cons to each bike, but I'm generally (when the ktm isn't endlessly dripping gas) very happy with the ktm.

Also, I did buy the filter kit from gefr before I popped the pump out. The factory filters looked alright, but it's over 35k miles, so I figured I'd knock it out. I also bought his SAS plates and air filter plate for future use. Good stuff!

In other news, the pump is still leaking. My permatex stuff is pretty old, and while it's not supposed to harden like rtv, it's supposed to firm up... Mine is staying liquid, and seeping out with the fuel, even after letting it setup for a couple days. I'm going to buy some new stuff and try again.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Rock Junkee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Awh man that sux were pulling for you don't give up or get pissed off
good luck
Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
I suggest you bore the tank back to round shape.

Then go for thicker o-rings. That should fix your problem.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 12:36 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Mike, I feel for you, Man. I am contemplating purchasing a 2013 990 ADV Baja, vs. a Triumph Tiger 800xc. I notice yours is a 2008 model. Is this a known problem with the 990s? If so, has KTM changed anything to resolve this problem since?
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,167
I had the same problem with my 990. I had the left tank replaced under warranty. I was living out in San Francisco at the time and I think Scuderia West did me a favor. They said they saw this occasionally, and claimed it was due to the ethanol in the fuel not playing nice with the ABS plastic tanks. KTM provided a new left tank but I don't think this is standard practice or cover under a TSB.

I just replaced my fuel filters and again I had a bit of fuel leakage (enough to stink up the garage but little visible evidence) so I pulled the pump and used some fuel tolerant gasket sealer around the base of the fuel pump where it meets the tank. No problems since. I just figure, I'll have to continue to add a little sealant goop around the base of the fuel pump everytime I swap fuel filters. And of course, run ethanol free gas.

I hope this is useful.
Jesse

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 07:47 PM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Jesse, what year model was your 990?
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,167
2008 990 adv s

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
jesse, what year model was your 990?

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
Is this a known problem with the 990s? If so, has KTM changed anything to resolve this problem since?
The related 'known problem' is ethanol in our gas slightly distorting the tanks. This is obvious when trying to re-fit the tanks after you remove them for service; you kind of have to force them back to line the bolts up. Not a big deal at all, but noticeable.

I figure, if the rest of the tank is slightly distorted, the round fuel pump hole most likely is as well.

If a bead of gasket maker/sealer around the base of the pump solves the issue... then I'm perfectly fine with that solution. I'll be buying fresh gasket maker/sealer this afternoon to try again.

All that being said, I don't think you (satrider) have much to worry about with that 2013. Perhaps after 3-5 years of using ethanol fuel you'll be in the same situation, but at that point, just start using gasket maker/sealer.

As Gefr said... the optimal solution may be to re-round the hole with a borer something like this:

And then go up a size on O-rings... But I'm going to start with good sealer first.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've got faith this time. The new gasket maker/sealer was an entirely different consistancy from the old stuff...

I had used some gray gasket dressing or similar, but it was 3-4 years old, and very liquidy... and stayed liquidy. It's been several days, and pulling it apart, it was still nasty liquidy.

This time I used this stuff:

It came out thick and tacky, and quickly dried to thicker and tackier. I applied a thin layer to both the base of the pump and the surface of the tank, and let it setup for about 15 minutes (it's only about 40-45 degrees out there, so a bit longer then their recommended 'few minutes') and bolted the pump back in the tank. I figure I'll leave it on the bench to harden and seal as much as possible, before I put it back on the bike and put gas back in it.