Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Problem is you can almost get a palace for 10 euros a night somewhere else...

What you probably cannot escape in Europe, if youīve got a vehicle, is fuel prices. In Finland it is about 6-7 euros per gallon right now. If you want to keep the costs down, donīt plan to stay here for very long,and donīt do thousands of miles, if you can avoid.

I do think Europe is well worth a visit, though, thereīs lots to see and do in every country actually. Italy is my great favorite (but unfortunately it is very expensive these days!)
Well, there is that.

To make myself feel a bit better about the prices here, i ride up to Norway, get thoroughly ripped off, ride some of the best roads in the world, and then come back to Finland and feel like its a third world country for a few days where a beer only costs 10 bucks. One of my Norwegian buddies refers to the Swedish crown as "the Nordic peso"

Where you live in Helsinki?
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,810
Hi, actually I donīt live in Helsinki any more, but now literally a stone throw away from Helsinki border, in Vantaa.

"Nordic peso"... thatīs a good one

Pecha72 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 12:07 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Talk to GlobalRider( a Canadian) on the BMWMOA forum-he keeps a bike in Europe, ridden there lots & stays over there often.
Food- I do oranges/bananas,pineapples,etc for brkfst & peanuts & a pop or water for lunch & sit down to local food for eves. Everybody in other countries isn't wealthy so the less pricey stuff is always there if you choose it.
Lodging is pretty predictable based on info above. Some places I'd ride through quicker than others to save money. Hungary used to be one of several countries where many Euros traveled because it was cheaper, maybe not quite so true as economies have evolved since my time there. Might pose the question to a Euro based person as to places for lingering awhile on the cheap.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote