User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Honda VFR 400R NC30

Hi guys just wanted to say Hi as despite being on this forum for a while i've never introduced myself I'm Kennon a second year Automotive engineering student who lives in the UK, come this saturday I will be picking up a new (to me) motorcycle. I have owned a 50cc scooter when I was 16 a Yamaha jog RR on a 09 plate then in 2011 I got a 11 plate Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM which I currently still own until it is Sold.

I can't wait to get a sports bike so I can start getting more miles underneither me with the added capacity and power, I plan to spend a week riding round the limousin region in the south of France this summer.

but for now I will post a picture of my next motorbike adventure which I've named Sarah she's a 1990 model in type 4 colours.

Kennon screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 03:54 PM
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Welcome, Kennon, and congrats on that beautiful VFR400. They never saw the light of day in the US, so I've never seen one in person, but I'd have to guess the handling would make it a phenomenally fun bike to ride.

Post up some ride reports on your trip. That bike in the French countryside would make for some beautiful and interesting pictures.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennon View Post

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Oh, my.

Lovely bike, should cross thread in VFR how many of us have them.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Id never even heard of the 400 until two weeks ago when I saw one at the Rock Store here in LA.

sooo coool
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

cheers guys,
they sold for 2 years and very small numbers in the UK so most are japanese grey imports as there was a big boom in japanese imports during the 90's to early 00's mine is a grey import so its cheaper to buy the 400's were made to meet japanese cc limiting motorcycle licenses and also they raced these ina TT-F3 class against 250 2 strokes where the class made around 85~bhp the standard road bike makes just under 60bhp, it'll be my first sports bike will give a first impression on saturday just hoping the weather reports are wrong and it won't be raining.

other 400cc sports bikes were the CBR400RR NC29 (babyblade), GSXR 400, ZXR 400

only the ZXR 400 and VFR 400 officially sold in the uk at one point Canada were looking to officially import them during the 90's they even braught a few over for testers to review but the costs were too high to deem suitable for the small market.

Kennon
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Oh man that is beautiful, and a prime example of how modern bikes have lost their way for styling.

It is unfortunately also a prime example of how fun bikes are all designed for someone 5'4" tall.... I'm only 11" past that.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I had a red one . Yours looks in really nice condition.
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 589
GoonerYoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It will be my first proper bike i'm 5'8 so will easily get a foot flat on the floor it'll be a nice bike to start learning more about cornering and do some touring on, just sorted my insurance today So will be picking her up at 10 am come Saturday.

Kennon
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thinking about doing a 17'' rear wheel conversion using a Rick oliver kit best get a summer job after my exams to get that would make getting decent tires allot easier plus have more choice been looking at Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's after reading really good reviews about there performance in the dry and wet.

Edit: Picked up the bike on saturday and it seems i'm cursed when it comes to picking up a new motorbike everytime I do it's raining, got the paddock stand given to me for free as the tires need changing soon so will go back home once the tyres have been changed and when tax and MOT are renewed.

Kennon

Kennon screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 03:56 PM
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting a set of RVF 400 wheels next month they've been powdercoated gold so will make a nice contrast to the bike, they have been fitted with Michelin race "road legal" tyres so will just need the jack up kit to make the ride height standard once fitted.

Kennon

Kennon screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Once again you Euro guys get all the sweet goodies & we get the dregs! That Honda V-4 is the sweetest motor I've ever thrown a leg over. I know exactly what the new electric bikes are like, because that V-4 had power delivery like an electric rheostat. They drew the power curves with a straight edge!. Made it incredibly easy to ride fast. Good luck & beware....there were no cameras when I had my 700 back in the '80s. Even though yours is only 400 cc, there's enough there to lose a driving license.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Kennon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

they only became big when japanese grey imports started to come over in the 90's as Japan had a throw away culture at the time buy a new bike then sell it cheap when you were bored of them but now there so expensive to import from Japan now. I ordered a Lockwood Speedo so I don't have to put up with a KPH speedo with MPH stuck on top.

Kennon
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Cracking bike, an ex had one a few years ago and it was a great ride, better than her but at 6`6" I was a bit large for it
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote