ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
CJGamer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I'd be leery of buying the "best equipment" if you never camped before. Like trying to buy the perfect motorcycle when you're just learning to ride.

If you start camping and enjoy it, you'll quickly decide what works for YOU, and then you can decide what is the "best" tent.

This is a steal for $80:





http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ductId=1402472

Reviews indicate that Alps is very good quality for the price point. Only knock on this model, which matters to some folks and not to others, is that it isn't free standing. The poles don't connect or cross each other, rather it uses the tie-out stakes tension the roof, rather than poles. As long as you can pound a stake into the ground, or find melon-sized rocks to anchor the corners, this works fine. This design helps increase improve headroom, and reduce weight.

It is pretty light, and packs pretty small. I like side entry much better than end, and having 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

I wouldn't choose a 2-person tent for 2 adults, but the 2-person size should be fine for 1 + a 7 year old, and perfect for solo.

I bought the same tent from Steep and Cheap last Fall, but as it is still winter here, it has not be used yet.
I have an ALPS tent and love it- mine is a 1 and a half person model perfect for on my bike to put gear in with me. Good quality for the money- light enough, and enough room.
That said- We also have a Kelty that I got a few years ago as a special one they made for Target- it was $99 and a 4 person that really is a 3 person tent- that we use all the time in the backyard etc.....great for the kids. A lot of times the big companies have a special line for target etc...
that said- a basic coleman 7 by 9 or something like that for 80 bucks is prolly all you need. Target, Dicks, bass pro etc.
__________________
2003 BMW F650GS
CJGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGamer View Post
I have an ALPS tent and love it- mine is a 1 and a half person model perfect for on my bike to put gear in with me. Good quality for the money- light enough, and enough room.
That said- We also have a Kelty that I got a few years ago as a special one they made for Target- it was $99 and a 4 person that really is a 3 person tent- that we use all the time in the backyard etc.....great for the kids. A lot of times the big companies have a special line for target etc...
that said- a basic coleman 7 by 9 or something like that for 80 bucks is prolly all you need. Target, Dicks, bass pro etc.
What's cool is that right now, the Alps 2-man is $80, so I'd choose that over Coleman or made for Target, as those are made to sell for $80, not $220, and tend to be heavy.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Cerberus83
The Wingman
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Oddometer: 141
I got Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 with the footprint for ~$140 @ Sierra Trading. Takes 5min to pitch and it's a great 1 person tent (plus gear). Super light with aluminum poles. You can def fit 2 adults (made for two people, hence the name) but I think it's going to be quite cozy :)

There's Drifter 3 as well, but more mula...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,526
First, Maybe try borrowing a tent or get a cheap one to see if you are going to be up for tenting.

After you have decided you are up for it, go for it.

It took me along time to step up to what I have now and I love it. I saved enough money camping vs staying at hotels to cover the cost in my mind. Besides, hotels are too far from the fun around a camp fire and the views are not even close. This outfit goes anywhere and I am comfortable rain, snow or shine.













It is a Kifaru Sawtooth

http://store.kifaru.net/sawtooth-p86.aspx

More info on their forum here:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/forum.php

Not for everyone, maybe not for you.

Their gear is expensive and addicting. I started with a 4 man tipi that I found used, then got a 6 man, now I have the Sawtooth.

Getting older I appreciate being sable to walk into my tent, not having to leave my boots outside if they are muddy or wet, being able to sit in a chair by the fire in the rain, sleet or snow and being able to dry gear on the drying line when needed.

The shelter weighs less than some 2 man tents at 4 pounds 8 ounces.

The wood burning stove weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces and packs smaller than some laptop computers.

So for 9 pounds 2 ounces I have a true 4 season shelter that can withstand more than I want to that can keep me comfortable and provide shelter in case of whatever an adventure might bring.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danh600's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
I've never camp before but I plan to do so in the future, however a situation has come up and I'll have to camp for one night with my oldest daughter (7 years old) in a few weeks.
Lots of good suggestions in the follow up posts. I would just add a few things.

1. Buy as nice a tent as you can afford.
2. Put it up at home BEFORE you go camping. Every tent goes together a little different. The modern tent poles are very nice, but can take a bit to get the concept the first time you put the tent together. A dark camp site is not a great place to put together a tent the first time.
3. Make sure the tent is clean and dry before you store it. If it was wet when you packed it camping take it back out and dry it when you get home.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Get the really expensive one that everyone is typically out of.

Call around frantically, and find one, only to race others to get there and find it gone.

Couple years ago, I was getting ready for a couple week long adventure, and was tent shopping. I read everything I could, and made a choice based on what I learned or wanted in a tent.

And then could not find one in stock anywhere.

This was the one, a quick search and I clicked on the first link, and walla, it's still OUT OF STOCK today, two years later.

I would have considered the two person one as well. Link below.

That must say something about the quality. I bought a shiddy no name tent instead.




http://www.nemoequipment.com/tents2012
Camped with a guy that had this tent. Every morning he woke up drenched because it doesn't allow the moisture to escape. Would not trade it for my decade old K-mart special.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Str8lin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 474
MSR Mutha Hubba great for 2-3. There is a two man that makes a great solo.
__________________
Attitude IS the difference between Adventure and Ordeal!
Str8lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
Deliverator
not a replicant
 
Deliverator's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 79
Here is what I would get

Hi,

There's information I don't have, such as the number of people you need to sleep and the type of riding and camping you plan.

For adventure riding, I would get a Black Diamond Firstlight tent. It is a two-person, 4-season tent that weighs 3 pounds. It is free standing and single-walled, meaning that you don't have to mess with a rain fly and you don't need to put in stakes if it's not windy. It only has two poles which are inside of the tent and go up in a simple x from the corners. $360

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...irstlight-tent

But right now there is a sale, and you can get the same tent in a more robust and fire retardant version called the I-tent for the same price. The material used in the tent is a bit more sophisticated, more waterproof and breathable, I have a Black Diamond tent made of this material so I know it performs. It also has a more sophisticated ventilation system. The downside is that the I-tent is heavier. I am told the fire retardant version is even heavier so that's why it on sale, but perhaps it has an odor, call and ask if this is your choice. If you're going to be carrying it on a motorcycle weight should not be an issue. It weighs nearly 5 lbs. and is not as compressible as the Firstlight. But for backpacking 2 lbs. is a huge difference.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...helters/i-tent

These are technical mountaineering tents designed to stand up to high winds and high exposure situations. Consequently, they are relatively low to the ground so you will not be able to stand in them. But they compact to a small size so that you can carry them on a motorcycle. I don't think the poles for a tent you could stand in would be a good fit on a motorcycle.

Good luck and congratulations for getting your daughter started out camping at such a young age.
__________________
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will.” -Ghandi
Deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGamer View Post
I have an ALPS tent and love it- mine is a 1 and a half person model perfect for on my bike to put gear in with me. Good quality for the money- light enough, and enough room.
That said- We also have a Kelty that I got a few years ago as a special one they made for Target- it was $99 and a 4 person that really is a 3 person tent- that we use all the time in the backyard etc.....great for the kids. A lot of times the big companies have a special line for target etc...
that said- a basic coleman 7 by 9 or something like that for 80 bucks is prolly all you need. Target, Dicks, bass pro etc.
Good deal. I just ordered the 1.5 for $68 shipped because it'll fit in my pannier.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer
 
Rainier_runner's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Yelm, Washington
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
First, Maybe try borrowing a tent or get a cheap one to see if you are going to be up for tenting.

After you have decided you are up for it, go for it.

It took me along time to step up to what I have now and I love it. I saved enough money camping vs staying at hotels to cover the cost in my mind. Besides, hotels are too far from the fun around a camp fire and the views are not even close. This outfit goes anywhere and I am comfortable rain, snow or shine.













It is a Kifaru Sawtooth

http://store.kifaru.net/sawtooth-p86.aspx

More info on their forum here:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/forum.php

Not for everyone, maybe not for you.

Their gear is expensive and addicting. I started with a 4 man tipi that I found used, then got a 6 man, now I have the Sawtooth.

Getting older I appreciate being sable to walk into my tent, not having to leave my boots outside if they are muddy or wet, being able to sit in a chair by the fire in the rain, sleet or snow and being able to dry gear on the drying line when needed.

The shelter weighs less than some 2 man tents at 4 pounds 8 ounces.

The wood burning stove weighs 4 pounds 10 ounces and packs smaller than some laptop computers.

So for 9 pounds 2 ounces I have a true 4 season shelter that can withstand more than I want to that can keep me comfortable and provide shelter in case of whatever an adventure might bring.
A sawtooth, a moto-mule, and a wr250r. My dream minimalist setup...
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 Suzuki DR 650 ADV
Rainier_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #26
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
A sawtooth, a moto-mule, and a wr250r. My dream minimalist setup...
It is well traveled and thoroughly tested.

Last report in my sig... Oh, and it is a WR250X not a WR250R, but close enough
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #27
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,526
A little on scene footage...

Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #28
CJGamer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 17
one last thing to add- Head to harbor freight, and get a cheap tarp to use as a footprint- i.e. you lay it on the ground under the tent. And easy way to get someone UNINTerested in camping quick, is to wake up with the whole floor of the tent wet. Footprint prevents that. you can get a cheapo tarp at HF for like 10 bucks, instead of the 30 that a tent specific footprint will cost you.
__________________
2003 BMW F650GS
CJGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #29
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGamer View Post
one last thing to add- Head to harbor freight, and get a cheap tarp to use as a footprint- i.e. you lay it on the ground under the tent. And easy way to get someone UNINTerested in camping quick, is to wake up with the whole floor of the tent wet. Footprint prevents that. you can get a cheapo tarp at HF for like 10 bucks, instead of the 30 that a tent specific footprint will cost you.
Tyvek works just the same only it's lighter. I paid $10 for a big sheet that I laid down under my tent and cut out the footprint. The problem with tarps under a tent is they stick out usually and is rainstorm, the water will be funneled under the tent. You want a footprint that's actually the same shape as your tent, but about 2-3" smaller all around the edges. Any good tent should have a waterproof floor. The footprints are just to extend the life of your tent's floor from rocks and sticks, etc.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #30
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder
 
Adios Pantalones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
Oddometer: 2,325
Go with the REI Half Dome. Nice, solid, mid range on price. Great Co.
__________________
http://www.thefreerangehuman.com
Adios Pantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014