User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
xj9140 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
rear tire on the front

Is this a bad idea? I want a bigger front tire. Im only finding rears in the size I want.
xj9140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj9140 View Post
Is this a bad idea? I want a bigger front tire. Im only finding rears in the size I want.
depends. check your clearance. it will probably mess with the handling as well.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
xj9140 OP
Adventurer

Has anybody tried it?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
What are you wanting to put it on?
Are we talking dirt or road bike?

There have been some who have done it on Vstrom's to get more dirt oriented type tyre.

But there is also now a good range of tyres to suit adventure touring bikes available these days.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
xj9140 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
What are you wanting to put it on?
Are we talking dirt or road bike?

There have been some who have done it on Vstrom's to get more dirt oriented type tyre.

But there is also now a good range of tyres to suit adventure touring bikes available these days.
Thanks, its a road bike but id like to go through the dirt as well. I had a crash when I hit some mud. Suzuki tl1000s and im looking for more of a all terrain tire up front to complement the rear 190. I also want it super tall like at least 3" taller. I can only go so far before the radiator is in the way. I even looked into fork extensions. 120 70 17 is the current size. Im finding 120 90 17's but they are rear tires. How much taller would the 90 series be?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,245
TL1000 is not a dirt bike, even if you put motocross tyres on it. First models had some handling issues at high speed (even when using recommended rubber)... not so sure I'd like to try, what happens, when you put back tyre up front on this bike!

(much taller than original means it'll alter the bike's steering geometry, and most likely will considerably affect handling.)

Pecha72 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 02:32 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Mefo Explorer, Mitas E07 and Heidenau K60 are all available in a 130/80-17 [rear] tyre in a 50/50 tread pattern.

These may be too wide for your rim though and WILL catch your front mudguard.

You would be far better to replace the bike with a Wee-Strom [or a maybe a V].

The Mefo Explorer front combined with a rear Mitas E07 are working very well on my Wee for dirt/tar use [Mitas had a recall on the 19" front E07, luckily I had gone with the Mefo because I was needing to save some dollars- having just done Mefo's on my old KLE500 a week before doing the Wee tyres, never enough money in my bank account ]

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
xj9140 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
TL1000 is not a dirt bike, even if you put motocross tyres on it. First models had some handling issues at high speed (even when using recommended rubber)... not so sure I'd like to try, what happens, when you put back tyre up front on this bike!

(much taller than original means it'll alter the bike's steering geometry, and most likely will considerably affect handling.)
Yeah you are right its a '97 and gets a bit of a wobbly at speed. There are improvement s that nneed to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Mefo Explorer, Mitas E07 and Heidenau K60 are all available in a 130/80-17 [rear] tyre in a 50/50 tread pattern.

These may be too wide for your rim though and WILL catch your front mudguard.

You would be far better to replace the bike with a Wee-Strom [or a maybe a V].

The Mefo Explorer front combined with a rear Mitas E07 are working very well on my Wee for dirt/tar use [Mitas had a recall on the 19" front E07, luckily I had gone with the Mefo because I was needing to save some dollars- having just done Mefo's on my old KLE500 a week before doing the Wee tyres, never enough money in my bank account ]
Thanks, I found several 120 90 17's I want to try.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
TKC 80s come in Multistrada sizes. Try them. They won't last long, though.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Making some rather wild changes (rear tyre on the front? 3 inches taller?) based on your own assumptions of what's gonna happen, to a streetbike, that is not known to be the most stable even on stock form, sounds like a good recipe for disaster.

But you seem to want to experiment, so lets hope you live to tell the tale..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
oomis
What's a noob?

Oddometer: 175
You couldn't have a more wrong tool for the job. Your 97 TLS is destined to be a collectible bike. Do yourself a favour and keep it out of the dirt.

In your first post you asked if it was a good idea.

The answer is no, it's a terrible idea.

What other questions do you have?
oomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
I ran shinko 244 knobby rear tire on the front of my supermoto in 17 inch sizes. When I first put it on after I rode it I thought that I broke something -- it didn't want to turn (or at least didn't turn like a supermoto). I got used to that and then proceeded to ride that setup on extended dual sport tours including texas hill country, continental divide, utah backcountry discovery route. Of course its a different bike but this set up worked well and lasted. Tkc 80s are now made in 17 sizes so thats another (more expensive) option.

It works, plenty of people have done it. I have a high front fender so no problem with clearance, but you may have to raise the front fender a little like folks have done with Versys.

Its not the ideal solution, but if thats the bike you have and you want more offroad traction its a reasonable move.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
xj9140 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Making some rather wild changes (rear tyre on the front? 3 inches taller?) based on your own assumptions of what's gonna happen, to a streetbike, that is not known to be the most stable even on stock form, sounds like a good recipe for disaster.

But you seem to want to experiment, so lets hope you live to tell the tale..
I'll be carful and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomis View Post
You couldn't have a more wrong tool for the job. Your 97 TLS is destined to be a collectible bike. Do yourself a favour and keep it out of the dirt.

In your first post you asked if it was a good idea.

The answer is no, it's a terrible idea.

What other questions do you have?
Yes, why would it be a collectors bike? It rides like shit and was Suzuki failed attempt at a competitive race bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I ran shinko 244 knobby rear tire on the front of my supermoto in 17 inch sizes. When I first put it on after I rode it I thought that I broke something -- it didn't want to turn (or at least didn't turn like a supermoto). I got used to that and then proceeded to ride that setup on extended dual sport tours including texas hill country, continental divide, utah backcountry discovery route. Of course its a different bike but this set up worked well and lasted. Tkc 80s are now made in 17 sizes so thats another (more expensive) option.

It works, plenty of people have done it. I have a high front fender so no problem with clearance, but you may have to raise the front fender a little like folks have done with Versys.

Its not the ideal solution, but if thats the bike you have and you want more offroad traction its a reasonable move.
I was thinking along the same lines. Its what I got.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
Save your TL, its a beautiful bike, don't screw it up with this misguided endeavor. Find a more appropriate hammer for the job.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Of course its a different bike but this set up worked well and lasted. Tkc 80s are now made in 17 sizes so thats another (more expensive) option.

So, works on a supermoto -> works on anything, right?? Your bike and OP's bike could hardly be more different regards frame and steering geometry.

I seriously doubt the TL1000 will ever become a very nice off-roader, no matter what you tried with it.