Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #91
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Alright, then i am good to use no-toil to oil. The no-toil cleaner we use is a powder soap and you add water, so you got me a little confused there on not using that. That is what we use on all of our foam dirt bike filters as it is as about mild as you can get.
I'm just passing on what the filter importer is telling me.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #92
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Got'er installed on my 06 950 SM. Was actually easy to do. I took my time and didn't disconnect anything from the carbs. Just pulled all the lines up through the bottom of the air box and pulled air box out with all the carb stuff still connected.

Starting off with the following setup for SM Sport Riding and tuning from there.

FMF cans
Part Factory Pro kit and Part H2W kit for my jetting
Main Jets 170R / 168F
Pilot Jet #45
Needles Factory Pro Ti needle 4 position from top
IMS screws 2 turns (Flex-Jet installed for easy adjustment)
Air Jet #70 as supplied by H2W to replace stock #50
Float Height 3.5MM

Thumper996 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 06:18 AM
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #93
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Love the pics, man. Get her dyno'ed and let me know how that wild jetting works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Got'er installed on my 06 950 SM. Was actually easy to do. I took my time and didn't disconnect anything from the carbs. Just pulled all the lines up through the bottom of the air box and pulled air box out with all the carb stuff still connected.

Starting off with the following setup for SM Sport Riding and tuning from there.

FMF cans
Part Factory Pro kit and Part H2W kit for my jetting
Main Jets 170R / 168F
Pilot Jet #45
Needles Factory Pro Ti needle 4 position from top
IMS screws 2 turns (Flex-Jet installed for easy adjustment)
Air Jet #70 as supplied by H2W to replace stock #50
Float Height 3.5MM

Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #94
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Im waiting for someone who has installed one of these on their 950 to give us a comprehensive report on how it runs and the fuel consumption.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #95
JTS1
Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer: 64
Would like to purchase the kit for 950 SE. Are they avail and ready to ship? Thx
JTS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #96
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS1 View Post
Would like to purchase the kit for 950 SE. Are they avail and ready to ship? Thx

Yep, have a SE/SMR kit in stock. Get your order in and I'll ship tonight!

Out of ADV/SM until a new shipment of filters arrives next week.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #97
JTS1
Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer: 64
Payment sent. Looking forward to the install. Should i nix the canister and plumbing while im at it?
Thx
JTS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #98
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS1 View Post
Payment sent. Looking forward to the install. Should i nix the canister and plumbing while im at it?
Thx

Thanks!

I would relieve my bike of all those troublesome plumbing lines first thing.*

*For off road use only

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 04:22 AM
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #99
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Look what arrived today from Amazon :) Time to put the carb and crankcase vent filters on and then the tank

Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #100
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
I’m waiting for someone who has installed one of these on their 950 to give us a comprehensive report on how it runs and the fuel consumption.
Have you ever known a freer-breathing engine to get poorer fuel economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I installed a filter and tuned a friends bike yesterday.

It had Akras on it, no quiet tip. A 70 idle air jet, 45 slows and tiny mains(148 & 152) had been added along with a Uni pre filter dealio. I 'think' the needles were stock but couldn't tell for sure. They had been moved to the 3rd clip.

I set it up with 172 mains. Guessed that the richer bottom end would compensate somewhat and wanted to keep it from gasping at elevation...plus I didn't have a set of 175's. Adjusted the floats to 4mm from 3mm. Also didn't have any 50 idle air jets to set the slow mixture back to stock, so I got creative. Swapped air cut offs to 90's from 80's and put in 40's in place of 50 idle air jets. Total air is the same but it seems to backfire a bit when the throttle gets closed. . That'll get swapped back once some 50 air jets get ordered!

The bike ran like a raped ape, not rich or lean anywhere in its range. It remains to be seen how it runs at elevation (roughly 1000' here). I've always had a hard time getting the 45's to work on the mountain.
He is I and I am him. I made it up Mt. Mitchell, along the BRP yesterday - 6,500'-ish, and it still runs like the proverbial raped ape, thank you very much. I did the same thing we did with it that Saturday - 4,000 rpm, full-throttle loaded runs out of 2nd and 3rd. It's strong as an ox and, with those silly silencers out of the Akras, I'm sure I saved a coupla dozen lives.

To Tangai's (indirect) request, I made certain to note gps trip odometer readings at fill-ups yesterday, and calculated mileage: 185 miles on 4.5 gallons = 41.1 mpg. I can't claim that my riding style reflects a concern for fuel mileage, so I'm sure it could do better, but I was too busy wringing it's neck and doing wheelies to care. I doubt that qualifies as "comprehensive," but it's enough for me to be satisfied. As for "how it runs" - again, I'm not certain what you're looking for, but there's no doubt the mid-range and top-end are significantly stronger. The thing just rips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood
Also, when I installed the filter on this bike I noticed what could be a potential issue. I can't say for sure as I've put these on several bikes with no fit problems, they've always been tight. There's also lots of folks who've made their own with the same grommets who've not ever reported a fit issue. This bike is the first early production version (2003) and has been through a lot... rebuilt several times.
When I went to put the velocity stacks on, they didn't tighten down enough. The plate was a tiny bit loose. The bottoms of the stacks were warped and it had a BMC filter in there which seemed a but thicker than normal, maybe its stretched the plastic mounts. Regardless, I shoved in another gasket under the filter plate to make it work.
If any of you encounter a similar issue, let me know. While I think its an isolated problem, I can't say for sure. All the filter plates up till yesterday fit nice and tight... I can rush out a filler gaskets and include them with subsequent kits if this is a problem.
I haven't had it apart again since our tuning day, and I'm confident our creative gasketing is holding up well, but I may order new stacks and have them on hand for the jetting swap at the Rendezvous.

In conclusion, I'm a huge fan of Sporting Wood's filter dealio. The factory airbox is a nightmare and a PITA. This arrangement simplifies things dramatically, and there's no doubt the performance gains.

Thanks again, mang. I feel like I've got my bike back!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #101
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post

He is I and I am him. I made it up Mt. Mitchell, along the BRP yesterday - 6,500'-ish, and it still runs like the proverbial raped ape, thank you very much. I did the same thing we did with it that Saturday - 4,000 rpm, full-throttle loaded runs out of 2nd and 3rd. It's strong as an ox and, with those silly silencers out of the Akras, I'm sure I saved a coupla dozen lives.

To Tangai's (indirect) request, I made certain to note gps trip odometer readings at fill-ups yesterday, and calculated mileage: 185 miles on 4.5 gallons = 41.1 mpg. I can't claim that my riding style reflects a concern for fuel mileage, so I'm sure it could do better, but I was too busy wringing it's neck and doing wheelies to care. I doubt that qualifies as "comprehensive," but it's enough for me to be satisfied. As for "how it runs" - again, I'm not certain what you're looking for, but there's no doubt the mid-range and top-end are significantly stronger. The thing just rips.

I haven't had it apart again since our tuning day, and I'm confident our creative gasketing is holding up well, but I may order new stacks and have them on hand for the jetting swap at the Rendezvous.

In conclusion, I'm a huge fan of Sporting Wood's filter dealio. The factory airbox is a nightmare and a PITA. This arrangement simplifies things dramatically, and there's no doubt the performance gains.

Thanks again, mang. I feel like I've got my bike back!
When your driving around where you normally drive around, whats your elevation? (as in when your not going up a mountain?)

Maybe i missed that somewhere?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #102
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,700
Could you share your full setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post

gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #103
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Got mine completed today and took her for a test ride. Idle and bottom end feel great and top end feels like it has more power (butt feel). I have some tuning to do as i can tell she is leaner in the mid-range and pops a little on deceleration. I figured i was lean starting out, so this is expected. I wanted to tune her from lean to rich instead of vice versa. Gotta love the flex jet setup as i can stop on side of the road an in seconds adjust.

I am going to ride her for a week or so before changing mains to get a good feel for where i am at.

You can sure hear the bike breath now when you roll into the throttle.

I also added crankcase and carb vent filters to my setup.

UNI Filter UP-124

UNI Filter UP-121

UNI Filter UP-121

Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #104
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
When your driving around where you normally drive around, whats your elevation? (as in when your not going up a mountain?)

Maybe i missed that somewhere?
I'm generally in the neighborhood of 1,000 feet around home.

How 'bout you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
You heard me? Sounded goooooood, didn't it?
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #105
motorcycledave1000
Speed Thrills

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomryder View Post
Any chance you'll make a plate up for the 990's?
Any news a 990/FI setup?

Isn't the difference between the 950 airbox and a 990's, the addition of an air intake temperature sensor mounting point and a crankcase vent mounting point?

2008 KTM990 Adventure
2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2002 Yamaha WR-426
1983 Honda V45 Interceptor
motorcycledave1000 is offline   Reply With Quote