Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm definitely paying attention to what you guys are saying about that rough route... like I said... it's rough!

ill post maps with each update with the actual roads. thanks so much for all the tips and things on places to visit and stay... this is what makes ADV rider so great!

this is my first post here, a buddy strongly recommended I bring this trek to this board, I am not disappoint :)

I'm all packed up! camping and overnight things in the blue roll on the back. saddlebags carry street clothes, cold / wet weather gear, tools, electrics. tank bag is snacks, camera, personal effects (lip balm, cigs, etc).

the bike is a 2001 Suzuki sv650.

gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight methinks.... haven't been this excited since I went to disneyland when I was 8.
curiousthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

day 2. morning.

yesterday was a bit bittersweet.

started the day by having breakfast with my sister. we've lived together for the last 4 years. you might think living with your sibling is insane, but we compliment each others personalities pretty well. she's neat, organized, and keeps the house running in tip-top shape. I mostly make messes and make her laugh.

she left me a goodbye card in my tank bag. surprisingly nice things to say despite being siblings and roommates. she even gave me some gift cards for some fast food and Starbucks! score!

visited my parents in centralia on the way out of town. they were great. got the last of my insurance straightened away and they gave me some advice and encouragement. overall they're cautiously excited for me to be doing this, and it's really great to know they're behind me.

hugs and a prayer on the way out the door.

from centralia it was a short but sweet ride to Vancouver via I-5. the bike feels great. nice temps in the 50's, partial sun the whole way.

staying with my aunt and uncle in Vancouver is always a great time.

I actually lived in Vancouver with them for a good while when i was in college. it's crazy how time flies, but I have fond memories of this town. it was neat to gas up at the 76 station on mill plain i used to frequent. and dinner was from an old 4:30 am favorite, muchas gracias...

if you don't know, MG is a chain of fast food Mexican restaurants. open late, and never in a building of their own design. the one we hit-up tonight used to be a skippers. it still has the signature porthole windows. it's shitiness only adds to it's charm. and the food is darn good too.

my uncle and I spent most of the evening playing with balloons, cameras, and a BB gun. he's been taking photographs for longer than I've been alive. it's always magic when we get to create images together.

he had a vision of capturing primary colored balloons exploding with colored sugar inside them. it's a tricky thing, but it turned out pretty cool!

working the kinks out a bit on the bike today... ill make a few adjustments to the luggage. basically just securing the camp roll around the seat, instead of just roped to the saddlebags. should help keep the soft saddlebags a little more easily accessible and keep the camping gear from shifting forward during braking.

the road 3's motor sports of Olympia (link) put on are great so far, just breaking them in a bit. they did see plenty of water yesterday, and even brand new felt capable.

today I'm heading down to grants pass Oregon. will stay with my cousin kyle and his awesome wife. looking forward to meeting some new itty bitty members of the family for the first time.

(btw seafood chimichangas are delicious)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I'm in! Stay safe out there

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
DirtDancer
Slidin' Downhill

Oddometer: 90
on this road as well

Just did half this, east half this summer so in, on, going , keep it twisted!
DirtDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

I'm camping tonight after riding CA199 from grants pass OR to just outside crescent city CA. camping in the Joseph jedidiah smith campground among the redwoods.

got into a few proper twisties today... I'm ready for the coast and more more more :)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

joseph jedidiah smith campground to Trinidad CA.

I had a rad evening for st. patties. after setting up camp I paid a visit to my neighbors... actually the had taken the picnic table from my site and were ready to bring it back over for me... I posed the question to them "how about I just come over to your camp to use it?"

after assuring them I was not some crazy hobo they warmed right up. say hello to (from left) Emily, Mack, and Andy.

these guys all knew each other from working at the Oregon Shakespeare festival up in Ashland. funny story about that... a buddy and I had crashed our friends class trip there once. we weren't in the class that was supposed to go, but we tagged along anyway. good times :)

I managed to kill a six pack in honor of mr. patty's day, shared some laughs with these new camp friends and slept a little on the chilly side, nestled among the redwoods and smith river.

I woke at about 9am, surprisingly feeling refreshed (despite a bout at 3 am with a demon in the pit of my stomach which insisted on escaping through my mouth).

I enjoyed the hottest coin operated shower I could stand, said goodbye to my friendly neighbors and hit the road, south on 101 through crescent city.

seeing the pacific just south of town... I stopped here and had a brief call with my folks. the excitement in their voices was apparent and the happiness in mine came through as well.

I continued south and took several jaunts through the redwoods. 101, 169, and the Newman b. Somethingorothers scenic parkway. from this road I took a right (damn I need to do a better job of marking these details down) into a 1 mile, supposedly dead end grove of redwoods...

after the mile the road was blocked by some downed branches and whatnot... luckily it was easily passable and I kept going.

another mile or two and I came to a locked gate. haha! I fucking love this pic...

after the gate the road started seeming ancient. there were marked and bricked turnouts as though this was a forgotten stretch of 101. old cracked pavement buried in mulch and detritus from years of disuse. after a while the road turned I gravel and the bits of pavement gave way to dirt, rocks, and branches.

who says you can't take a sport bike offroad?!

the view from this "road"... incredible...

if you look closely I wrote "Paul was here" in the gravel... lighting is bad so it's barely visible. but hopefully the next person to go around that gate sees it. I just couldn't resist leaving my (non permanent) mark.

currently in Trinidad CA. enjoying a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich from the lighthouse grill. they make their own ice cream here and I keep hearing people behind me ravin about it... might need to give it a try.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Paul:

I haven't been south of Crescent City, perhaps next year.

Can't wait for some Giant Redwood photos, and also of the Lost Coast if you are taking the coast route

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

@bESS I didn't take a lot of pics of the trees, but here's one more from behind that locked gate I mentioned...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Ready for more info on a curious journey...

I'm in, looks like it should be an awesome trip.
Keep it upright and ride safe man....
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Paul:

I can't believe that there was a great road behind that barricade

I used to ride an SV650K3 but I traded it in for my Vstrom back in 2009. I really liked that bike

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
dukethedog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thumb

In!
01' HD Heritage Springer
09' Bimota DB7
dukethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

Trinidad ca to Legget ca (standish hickey campground)

as I was leaving Trinidad ca I stepped out front of the lighthouse grill for a cigarette before mounting up.

there was a big ford truck with the alarm going off incessantly. the woman inside of it looked annoyed. HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK...........

another woman was loitering outside the cafe, feeding the that smooth tar soaked Virginia monkey. I gave her a look and we caught eyes. I offered a glib "that's not annoying or anything..." which was the right thing to say. her name is Sarah. she's there with her husband, Clint and their little toe-headed girl in pigtails. I had noticed the little one staring at me earlier, I think she liked my power ranger suit.

we talked about the route and where I was hoping to reach by the end of the day. her husband looked at me over his beer in a Kerr jar and said that I should go check out hwy 1 and big sur. oh and to swing by the Trinidad lighthouse before I left town.

I added Sarah to my Facebook (hello mrs. Vincent) she seemed interested in following my travels.

I shook her hand, said "nice to meet you" and was one my way.

I hit 101 south, hard.

with 4g data I had spotify feeding me dubstep. I kept it fairly under control, only hitting 115 mph once or twice >:)

this road is good, but cops... so many cops... argh...

before I knew it I was in eureka... nice town from what I saw. only put my feet on the ground a a few stoplights though.

just north of confusion hill I stopped for gas and to take a race-horse-esque piss... men's room was occupied, the ladies was unoccupied... I always giggle when I go in the door without my sign... but single occupancy!!! who cares?!

on my way out I noticed a middle-age couple next to my bike, hugging, whispering secrets to each other and making out while leaned against a newer Lexus SUV. their 3rd wheel was a dude named Elmer. he had confederate flag tattoos and gripped at the air as he talked like he was on some powerful drug. I asked him if he had any recommendations for camp spots... he offered me his RV which he said he "stashed" just after confusion hill. it had Illinois plates, was in some parking lot "I couldn't miss it" and "no one would bother me there"...

as nice as that was... there was no fucking way I was staying where this methed-out trio would know where I was. I thanked him for the offer, said "nice to meet you" and was off for my own camp spot in the woods.

I reached the hwy 1 connection and started down it... this is where the "drive through" redwood tree is. I stopped for gas at the last service station for 28 miles... with my gas indicator flashing I figured it was prudent.

my energy indicator was in the red as well so I thought it best to ask the guy there where a good camp spot would be. jim directed me back up the road to standish hickey. there was a little market where I could get a meal, and with the 1 pickup a few miles away I could start the twisties fresh in the morning.

I shook Jim's hand, said "nice to meet you" and was on my way.

standish hickey is nothing special... right on the highway, nothing very interesting around the campsites that are open (there's a lower campground that seems close to water, but it's not accessible).

with rain forecasted ( and currently sprinkling) I had a go at making a proper waterproof shelter. the SV is wrapped up too. one nice little rainproof (and hopefully critter resistant) shelter.

with my shelter put together I hoofed it across the street to the peg house market. picked up a bundle of firewood, and a fairly balanced meal of deviled eggs, an orange, a superfood smoothie, and 2 tallboys of bud light with lime. the shop keeper, Gary was on his smart phone when i walked in... leisurely reading and eating a brownie. theres no cell service here, so i asked if they had wifi. they did, he gave me the password so tomorrow i can come back and post this update before setting off. btw, it's "anexanex".

i told him a bit about my trip. he wanted to know how I left work and if I got in a good last "fuck you" on my way out the door. I told him that I left without a word, except a long email my former (dyslexic) boss could enjoy reading. Gary laughed.

I shook his hand, said "nice to meet you" and walked back across the 101 to camp.

got the fire going properly and set to work rewarming the second half of that grilled cheese from earlier. delicious... simply delicious.

it's been a quiet night. only one other camper here and as I cruised past he didn't look up... I take this to mean he's maybe a little anti social, so I didn't bother with the steps that lead to "nice to meet you".
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #28
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

legget ca, to guealala ca.

today's riding was amazing. highway 1 is super beautiful, twisty, and fun.

it's also been pretty cold and rainy all day. after camping the last two nights I caved and got a hotel. I'm staying at the sea crest inn, in guealala.

it's right on a bluff overlooking the beach. ill get a pic or some video tomorrow before heading out.

got some pulled pork from bones roadhouse BBQ restaurant which is just up the road from the hotel. great stuff, and a nice bartender.

it's about 9pm but I'm looking at another couple hundred miles of cold, twisty, and wet riding tomorrow as I get into San Francisco. I plan to stay on hwy 1 right up until point Reyes and the golden gate, I can't wait!

took some good video today, so ill start with the one I took this morning... what a weird way to start the day, lol.

a guy blaring Irish music dropped by my camp this morning, here are my bleary-eyed thoughts on that and a tour of my camping setup.

http://youtu.be/aB0kqWKdO4E

here's a stop after about 35 miles of highway 1, after it finally spat me out on the coastline

http://youtu.be/IEhdX6ityNI

and a shot of an amazing hairpin once I was able to get into the cruising zone...

http://youtu.be/N_pTbi27Q8A

and lastly... remember that image of the balloons popping I made with my uncle in Vancouver? here's a little "behind the scenes" peek at how we made that happen...

http://youtu.be/CpjGnn5wCQs

btw... what's it mean when people are commenting here "in"... does that mean you're following the thread now?

I'm likely to have some time to kill tomorrow in SF. any recommendations on things to see while I'm in the golden gate area?

-Paul
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousthomas View Post
... btw... what's it mean when people are commenting here "in"... does that mean you're following the thread now?
... -Paul
Yep, and if you're feeling extravagant have a bowl of cioppino at Scoma's down at Fisherman's Wharf.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

what would you guys recommend for stashing my gear? I'm pretty paranoid with leaving my saddlebags and camp roll on my bike while being a tourist about town...

my dad told me they have lockers at most bus stations and such... which might-well work.