User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
daviedog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
noobie lookin' for boots

Yo, new to ADVrider camp. Just found it today. Returning to riding after years away. I was born in the late 40s, so there.
Have a Honda Shadow 600cc cruiser for getting back into it and practice, practice, practice. I don't intend any very long trips just yet and eventually would like to get a 'scoot with a side car for some serious touring with the dog.
Just cruising the streets for now. I used to ride with just western boots but want more protection now.
Not riding motocross either. I've looked at Sidi, Icon, and TourMaster on line.
Already ruled out MC/Milwaukee storm-trooper 'fashion' stuff.
Any opinions on high vs. low (but still covering ankles), and lace-up vs. moto style.
Appreciate it.
daviedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,297
my ankles are shot, so I go with higher boots to provide some support (youare about 10 minutes older than I am, so I imagine our self-induced damage is similar) . . . . .

LAce up USED to be the way to go if you wanted increased support, but many non-laced boots are now adjustable enough that yu have choices.

If there is a Cycle Gear or simlar store near you, yuo can see a range of available boots . . . . always nice to actually see and touch something like boots before putting your money down . . . . .

Another decision point to ponder is waterproof vs non-waterproof . . . . .

I used to try to save on boots (still do, actually), but think of the numbe of bones in there, and buy some good protection for your dogs . . . .

Lasly, fit and comfort are more important than a list of features. . . .
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Check out www.atomic-moto.com Ask for Brian, the owner, and he'll take the time to discuss boot options with you.

I just bought a new pair of Alpinestar Toucan style boot. Great all around boot.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
The Tour Master Solution WP 2 boots should be a very good waterproof boot that should also be very comfortable to walk in, if they are anything like their predecessor. The only difference/update I can see is a different sole.

I have the 1st gen of those boots and they are all of the above.

Dusty
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,639
I bought a pair of aerostich Combat Touring Boots (CTB's) I have about 80,000 miles on them. They are made by SIDI for them. very comfortable, high boots, I had them resoled, replaced some components, they are still my goto road boots. Hit them with some snow seal on the welts, they keep my feet dry.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-c...-boots-20.html

My feet are a bit wide with a high instep , they fit fine from day one.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 78
Daytona Roadstar GTX

I asked the same question once. If price is no object, people swear by this German boot. Lot of info on the company website.

http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=793
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
aerostich cbt lites for me.

theyre great. not too high, but high enough to be supportive, comfortable enough to walk around all day in (once broken in)

i dont plan on ever buying another pair of boots.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
aerostich cbt lites for me.

theyre great. not too high, but high enough to be supportive, comfortable enough to walk around all day in (once broken in)

i dont plan on ever buying another pair of boots.
Ditto on the Combat Lites. But they do take breaking in.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
The Tour Master Solution WP 2 boots should be a very good waterproof boot that should also be very comfortable to walk in, if they are anything like their predecessor. The only difference/update I can see is a different sole.

I have the 1st gen of those boots and they are all of the above.

Dusty
I have the WP 2 Boots and they work very well for the money. Fairly warm and DRY. I also have Sidi Adv Rains & Crossfire TA's for offroad.
Lumberjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 610
Another vote for Combat Touring Boots.

I bought mine in 1998. I don't know how many miles I have on them now, but I put 15,000 on them in the first 2 months. I only know that, for sure, because I got them 1 month before leaving on a 4 Corners Tour. So, 1,000 miles in the first month, breaking in the boots and a new bike. Then, just over 14,000 miles in the next month, riding to the 4 corners of the country and home.

I finally, just this past year, had them resoled for the first time. I got OEM soles from Aerostich and had a local shoe place put them on and clean up the boots. Now, they look like new and should be good for another 15 years and 100,000 miles.

When I first got them, I also got some Aquaseal Leather Waterproofing from Aerostich. I put 3 coats on when they were new and another coat every year or two since then. My feet have never gotten wet in these boots. And they breathe much better than a Gore-tex lined boot.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Check out www.atomic-moto.com Ask for Brian, the owner, and he'll take the time to discuss boot options with you.

I just bought a new pair of Alpinestar Toucan style boot. Great all around boot.
+1 on Atomic-Moto .

Brian is very helpful. He spent a lot of time with me to make sure I purchased the proper boot.

I bought the Toucan too. Absolutely love the boot

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
SpeedyK
Guzzisti

Oddometer: 210
Great way to try out boots is to buy them here in the Gear section. I've gotten two nice riding suits and 3 sets of boots here, at greatly reduced prices, in one case with the tags still on them. You can always resell. With rare exceptions it's a really safe place to buy and try.

Out of what I have now, I nearly always reach for the Combat Touring Lites I got here. I replaced the laces that stick to velcro with tent cord, put in some Superfeet, and all is good.