User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
rogerc OP
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Anyone have a Multisrada & 800XC?

Really like the Ducati Multistrada 2013 but test rode the 800 XC and liked it.
I have always had 2 bikes, just sold an FJR 1300 and selling my VStom 650. Was planning on just replacing it with one bike, a new Multistrada.
After riding the 800 been thinking about picking up a used Concours 14 and a 800XC to feel my needs and have 2 bikes again.
I am a 60 year old experienced rider that rides the California back roads and a very occasional we'll groomed fire road. 1 or 2 long trips a year (1200+ miles).
A lot of guys do ride their Multistrada on fire roads and say it does great. My question is does anyone have experience with both on fire roads?
Any input is appreciated on both bikes.
What congfiguration would you go with?
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
I probably posted the same info elsewhere and it's not exactly what you are looking for....

Coming off of a an 06 Multi. Test rode a new Multi a few times. Loved it. Decided I wanted to ride the numerous Colorado passes. Eventually rode an 800XC. Loved it. Will tour on it - generally one 3000-4000 mile ride per yr. Hope to pick up a used Hyper just for fun road riding.

I would occasionally take my Multi on a dirt road but its out of its element. Can it do it? Sure. If I was to only have one bike (well, two with a full dirt bike being the second) and wanted a fun, fast road bike, the Multi would be my first (and only) choice. That was the mode I was in for the past six yrs.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,388
I have both. The multistrada good on pavement, not going to ride it on gravel unless I need to. It probably will do well, but not why I bought it. The 800XC does very well on gravel. But it has two issues that bother me, related to dust: 1) the airfilter is under the tank and requires some effort to clean it, it accumulates a lot of dirt on top of it. A pre-filter may help it; 2) the stepper motor that maintains the idle speed gets crude from the road, especially when in dusty conditions, and eventually will freeze, and you will end up without an idle (this is different that the software problem that was fixed in 2011). You will need to know where it is, carry a WD40 with you and clean/lube it. Once you know what you have to do, not a big deal. But just think of it as a bike that handles gravel very well, but requires some attention.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I can comment on the Concours14. Just traded mine. Its a good bike to tour on, it does have odd ergos that I never fully loved. The stock seat sucks for me, put on a Sargent which was better but still hurt after a couple of hundred miles. I found the stock screen fine and the heat a non issue on my non-abs equpited bike, the breaking was great.
The stock tires suck, Angel STs made a huge difference.

All that said, I found it a bit boring somehow. I traded in my Griso 1100 and the Connie and got a Stelvio. The Griso wasn't equipped with luggage and I had removed bits to clean up the lines and had some carbon fiber. I couldn't see loading the bike up with panniers and shield, it was a better solo bike I thought. Thing is this... the Stelvio does everything well

I had considered a Tiger 800 xc and loved the bike since its debut. I can see owning a Concours and Tiger.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
rogerc OP
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Thanks for the info guys, it is helping. Really having a hard time making a final decision. Usually I can pull the trigger no problem. Just want to make sure I get the right ride.
Where the hell is the stepper motor?
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote