Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
charlesernst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
almost any bike shop will loan you their oil pan and recycle the oil for you, especially if you buy the oil from them. I carry my own filters.
charlesernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesernst View Post
almost any bike shop will loan you their oil pan and recycle the oil for you, especially if you buy the oil from them. I carry my own filters.
I had 4 different motorcycle places tell me they wouldnt loan me a drain pan due to "insurance". I even had one say sure, then after I bought the filter the service department told me no.

I had a few that did let me use a pan though. Suzuki dealer in Little Rock had me pull in the shop, gave me a drain pan, cardboard, rags, and wouldnt even let me dispose of the old oil for them
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 430
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
ORielly's Auto Parts had a deal for $5.99 you got a plastic drain pan , roll of good wipes, small funnel and hand cleaner. They took it all off my hands when I finished changing the oil behind their store. I Luv those guys!
Hmmnnnn . . . I've not seen the kit at O'Reilly's, but they've been great to me as well. On my last trip, I changed my oil twice next to their stores in Colorado, and Wyoming. The DRZ gets new oil every 500 miles, a filter too every 1K.

I buy a small roll of paper towels and one of those disposable foil roasting pans at the local grocery store for a couple of bucks, 2qts of Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil at O'Reilly's, and carry crush washers and foil to make disposable fill and drain funnels with me.

I also changed my oil twice in motel parking lots, and that worked better 'cause I could drink a nice cold beer while my oil was draining. Then I had to ride across town to the nearest O'Reilly's to recycle my oil.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #34
banjobart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm good for 10,000 miles between changes with Amsoil synthetic. That's Alaska and back for me, did it twice. Bikes still run like new.
2007 DL1000
2007 FJR1300
banjobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post
I'm good for 10,000 miles between changes with Amsoil synthetic. That's Alaska and back for me, did it twice. Bikes still run like new.
What kind of bike? No way I'd do that on a single, especially any air cooled single...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
banjobart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Water cooled bikes for 10K miles between oil changes, of course.
2007 DL1000
2007 FJR1300
banjobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
The DR650 was really easy to change since I had the centerstand. Two quarts of 10w40 every 3000 miles max. Quick and easy, the oil filters looked almost new at 3K, so I figure the owner's manual was correct with the oil filter change interval of every other oil change. Checking dumpsters quickly for an empty container is a good green thinking...

I prefer to change oil discretely at a primitive camp site, I hate hot parking lots. I don't go on long enough trips to fuss with my water cooled bikes most of the time. I took my FJR on a 8,000 mile trip once and just changed the oil when I got back. Bike didn't even blow up, didn't burn oil, still shifted good...
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #38
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post
Yep I'm back home by the 10000 mile mark generally so I don't change on the road. Alaska was a little over but not a lot.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #39
LaurentM
Laurent

Oddometer: 22
I spent a few months in the US last year with a klr. Dealerships were a rip off so I bought my own oil a Wal Mart and went to places for cars.

Be reasonably safe !
LaurentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #40
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Buy a large aluminum foil baking pan from a dollar store to use as a drain pan. They sell funnels as well. Fill up the now empty containers of the new oil, to dispose of the old. Toss away the baking pan and donate the funnel.

$2-4 extra for being able to DIY oil change is not bad.

I've also used an empty gallon milk jug, cut up on one side as a drain pan.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,777
Kitty litter pans work too, but are a little more pricey at $5.

I bet most auto dealerships would take used oil. A friend of mine works at Ford. When customers come in for oil changes, it isn't uncommon for them to be 1/2 to 1 quart low. The state requires them to document that they dispose of as much oil as they sell, which just doesn't add up, so they encourage all their employees to bring in their used oil to help meet quotas. Crazy, huh?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #42
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Good God! What a great way to create an undesirable event for what could otherwise have been an uneventful trip (eg post #18). Now if you were going to be out on the road for over 10k mi. OK - I get that. But sticking to a regular oil change schedule on a long trip for the most part I find so 'diculous it's kinda ridiculous. Is it that essential, that critical and in the big scheme of things, a factor that can't wait till you get home or somewhere not on the road?
In my case the Ural only had 500 miles on it, was still on break in, was under warranty, and the folks at Ural headquarters had offered 24 hr assistance AND were watching my ride report. I followed their instructions. On my Japanese bikes I do agree with you though.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #43
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,593
Ten thousand miles on synthetic engine oil, fresh filter and highway riding poses no engine danger for air or water cooled singles or twins. Try some in your air cooled lawn mower engine and you'll see what I mean.

Name brand synthetic engine oils have higher Noack scores and typically don't shear nearly as quickly as non-synthetics.

If you want even longer OCIs, use automotive synthetic engine oils that contain more robust EP additive packages.

You want really tough engine oil? Try HDEO rated for diesel engine service. Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac or Delo 400 in 15w-40 viscosity...$12.00 per gallon most anywhere.

The OTR truckers typically run these oils for 20K miles and up to 50K miles in high HP diesel engines.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #44
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Thanks to the helpful folks for their comments. I did my first on-the-road oil change, and it went great. I was all worried about it, but the folks at O'Reilly were really accommodating. I offered to buy paper towels, pay a "shop fee", etc, and they wouldn't accept it. I used their pan and funnel, brought an oil filter, and bought the oil. I was done in 20 minutes, and back on the road. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to, but if needed, O'Reilly is really helpful!

I'd say most every town has at least 1 parts shop or mc dealer that will accommodate you (drain pan & towels) if you buy the supplies from them. You might need to ask around or stop in the next town.

You know they will have the oil you need, but I would bring the filter(s) I need with me , just in case. I'd say I'll but the oil and filter (if you have it & most do) and if not I have a filter and need to buy the oil. You can use your stocked filter for later at home.

All the guys that work at these shop get it, they are home mechanics too & would love to help out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 12:36 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #45
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Now if you are traveling south to Mexico and beyond, bring the filters you need! & buy oil on the road. Big auto parts store don't exist (except for Autozone in many places). It's all small local shops. The biggest issue is getting rid of old oil as recycling is hard to find. Many shops either store it for ever or just dump it. Either way, have your oil & filter ready and find a shop that has a drain pan and more importantly will take the oil. Offer up a few bucks or some beer and no one will say no.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote