User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #16
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
What a great idea.

The reason new riders go too fast is most often that they don't percieve any dangers up ahead. They think the coast is clear and that it's a free-for-all speedfest all the time.

Once a new riders learns that blind corners can have obstacles at the other end... that treas and bushes may indicate a wildlife crossing.... that unknown bends can tighten...... that dusk and dawn is when there is the most wildlife about.... that there can be gravel or leaves mid-corner..... that cars don't always see you even if you think they do... they usually slow down quite a bit.

In my experience good riders ride both over AND under the speed limit depending on the conditions.

Apart from basic techniques such as countersteering and looking where you're going I think most riders benefit the most from "hazard awareness training".
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Do wheelies...........the instructors LOVE that shit!
And stoppies!

Just go with an open mind. "Basic," sure, but it's good to touch on fundamentals from time to time.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
Just go with an open mind. "Basic," sure, but it's good to touch on fundamentals from time to time.
That is probably the best advice to give right there. Let the instructors instruct. It is a good base for starting riding. After miles and experience we will all modify certain aspects of how we ride.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Yes, I took Basic (the best, fastest and safest way to get your endorsement and not dealing with State Troopers failing you when you go take your bike test).

I also used to go and take "Experienced" rider course every or ever other spring right before the "season" starts... it's just a refresher course and it's a great way to polish your skills, meet new people to ride with and learn a new trick or two...

I would definitely recommend it!
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
That is probably the best advice to give right there. Let the instructors instruct. It is a good base for starting riding. After miles and experience we will all modify certain aspects of how we ride.
Yep. I took the BRC after about 10 years of safe street riding, and I still learned a lot. My ass still aches sometimes from the crappy seats on those Suzuki 125s... pick a comfy bike if you get a choice.

Open your mind, close yer yap, and do things their way. Show off your experience by nailing the exercises on the first try and acing the exam.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yep. I took the BRC after about 10 years of safe street riding, and I still learned a lot. My ass still aches sometimes from the crappy seats on those Suzuki 125s... pick a comfy bike if you get a choice.

Open your mind, close yer yap, and do things their way. Show off your experience by nailing the exercises on the first try and acing the exam.
I'm hoping to, but to be honest I have not done "figure 8s" since the first BRC 5 years ago.

However, those little 125s are easier to throw around than my recently removed ex500

I'm looking forward to it! Weather is currently forecast to be in the 60s That is much better than when I took the BRC my first time, it was 105 those two days!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
I'm having to take this the whole weekend. The military or at least my unit has made it a requirement in order to ride a motorcycle. Guess too many guys have been getting themselves killed in the last several years. I've been riding for quite a while now, but to be honest I'm sure I'll get a few things from it.
Military requirement. Yes they did loose a lot of recruits to motorcycle accidents, hence the requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I'm hoping to, but to be honest I have not done "figure 8s" since the first BRC 5 years ago.
Go find a parking lot and do U turns inside of two spaces.

bwalsh screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 05:23 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

However, those little 125s are easier to throw around than my recently removed ex500

I'm looking forward to it! Weather is currently forecast to be in the 60s That is much better than when I took the BRC my first time, it was 105 those two days!
The 2 main things about the "box" :

1) Turn your head as far as you can. Most people have a problem doing that as they want to stare at the line to know if they're going to hit it. But turning your head as far as you can (and not really staring at anything) allows you to see the lines in your peripheral vision, then (and only then), you will know you're going to make it no problem.

2) Counter Weight. The more you counter weight the more you can let the bike lean in. The more you're able to let it lean in, the tighter the radius of your turn. Just be sure to of course be in the friction zone so you can let it out a little if you need to. When you get it right, you'll basically just power it around in the friction zone, while counter weighting and yer head turned all the way.

Every class I teach, brc or erc, have to remind people that the "box" gives us confidence we can handle the bike at slow speeds... that's a good thing.

But it's not a skill that keeps you from crashing. Emer Braking and swerving, along with cornering technique, those are the skills that keep us safe as possible. Practice those first ;)

Cheers, sounds like yer gonna enjoy it :)
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Cheers, sounds like yer gonna enjoy it :)

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
No..... I have neither done a course nor read a book about how to ride.

My father took five minutes to show me how to start stop and change gear on a motorcycle when I was a kid, and left me to it. A few years later, a couple of weeks after I turned fifteen, in 1969, I got my full m/c licence after a road test that consisted of riding 150 metres up the road, doing a feet up U-turn, and returning to the testing officer, who was watching from the side of the road.

I have muddled along since then, covering several hundred thousand kilometres in about 15 different countries, with just one accident on the road, in 1976. I was not to blame for that one, but I realised that if I had been more aware of what was going on around me it could have been avoided.

Do all the courses you want; you will learn a bit for sure. You may even become the inter-course champion. But in the end surviving the mean streets comes down to awareness and common sense.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

Do all the courses you want; you will learn a bit for sure. You may even become the inter-course champion. But in the end surviving the mean streets comes down to awareness and common sense.
That, and knowing how to Emergency Brake, Emergency Swerve and get around a corner, stay in your lane, and still have fun.

You may already know how to do these things, but many (if not all) new riders don't. While you survived, not everyone does. Many found out they didn't have these skills the hard way.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
I've done the BRC and just last year did the Military Sport Bike Rider Course. It was pretty good.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I've done the BRC and just last year did the Military Sport Bike Rider Course. It was pretty good.
I agree, that's an excellent course.

It's also called the Advanced Rider Training (ART) in the civilian sector. It's for any type of bike, not just sport bikes, as the techniques are the same.

In one of the exercises, you practice emergency braking, then immediately do an evasive maneuver, basically simulating a quick stop and then getting out of the way of someone behind you that isn't able to stop.

There's some fun cornering exercises and one with a simulated swerve in the corner.

And not least of the things you learn is trail braking, which could save you in a decreasing radius turn or many other situations.

I was scheduled to become certified by the MSF to teach that class 2 wks ago... an emergency root canal put the kibosh on that.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
I agree, that's an excellent course.

It's also called the Advanced Rider Training (ART) in the civilian sector. It's for any type of bike, not just sport bikes, as the techniques are the same.

In one of the exercises, you practice emergency braking, then immediately do an evasive maneuver, basically simulating a quick stop and then getting out of the way of someone behind you that isn't able to stop.

There's some fun cornering exercises and one with a simulated swerve in the corner.

And not least of the things you learn is trail braking, which could save you in a decreasing radius turn or many other situations.

I was scheduled to become certified by the MSF to teach that class 2 wks ago... an emergency root canal put the kibosh on that.

Cheers
This is the course I would like to follow up on as soon as I can. The Army will pay for this one as well, and its training so it's a good thing to do!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #30
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Do wheelies...........the instructors LOVE that shit!

As I discovered at a military ERC they get a little mad if you don't a rolling burnout to get through the small box.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote