Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
jprism OP
Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer: 81
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corney View Post
If you looking for a good camping spot close to Jasper there is a great provincial campsite at the bottom of MT. Robson that I highly recommend! It is west of Jasper and nicer camping!
Thanks, Jim
Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles!"
jprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanb777 View Post
In Canada,I have found, where there have been public works projects, there are also campsites, often free, often very nice places. I think they built them for the project workers, and then afterword they just keep them for the public.
I've never noticed this before. At least not along the TransCanada or anywhere in Alberta or Ontario.

If the OP ends up needing to stay around Grande Prairie, there's a decent
little campground at the ski hill south of town.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,447
If you're going through Kenora Ontario, I have a camper in the yard, you're welcome to use.....if the fucking snow ever leaves!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
corney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
No kidding its melted down from 5' to 3'! This is one of the worst winters in a long time!
corney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprism View Post
Upcoming trip through Canada up to Alaska. I will try and camp each night in Regina, Edmonton, Charles Lake, Mucho Lake, Johnsons Crossing and Beaver Creek.
Was at Charlie Lake yesterday afternoon and saw the coolest thing. 4 young 10-12 year old girls sitting around a hole ice fishing. A cow moose walks out to them from shore, lies down in the snow approx. 75 feet away and serenely watches them fishing for at least 15 minutes. Had to get going but the moose was still there watching them when I left. Should have taken a pic...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
corney
Adventurer

That is cool, to bad you didn't get a picture!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
If you're looking to stay off the slab and avoid the heavy truck traffic on the two lane I can give you some routing tips from the Canada/US border to Edmonton. You're also welcome to spend the night here on our ranch if it fits your timeline in either direction.
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've always thought the provincial parks or local government parks were really nice. Private campgrounds tend to be really crowded and kind of like an RV parking lot. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. One thing I noticed is that you can often get into a park after it's closed and just set up a tent somewhere. The honour system is up to you...
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
corney
Adventurer

You have hit it on the head! Provincial parks and National Parks are the way to camp in Western Canada. Ontario also some of the nicest Provincial Parks I have ever seen!

KOA's give you a small paved site between two motor homes with gensets that run all night to power the big screen and AC. That is not adventure riding as far as corney is concerned. I won't even stay there with my trailer and Bride!

Life is short so get off the beaten path!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
And if you're through PG on your way up or down, drop me a PM. I'm 10 minutes west of town on Hwy 16, lots of tent space in the yard and a spare room as well if you need a break from camping.

Good luck with the trip!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Free camping

Check out the laws in Canada. I have ridden up there quite a bit, and was told by locals that you can set up camp just about anywhere. I don't know for sure, but it's worth checking out.

Ride along a river, see a neat spot, stop and camp. Maybe it's ok, maybe not. Worth checking out.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by QED View Post
Check out the laws in Canada. I have ridden up there quite a bit, and was told by locals that you can set up camp just about anywhere. I don't know for sure, but it's worth checking out.

Ride along a river, see a neat spot, stop and camp. Maybe it's ok, maybe not. Worth checking out.
My word QED, you paint a pretty picture. I'm heading that way next month, and really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #28
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by QED View Post

That's what I'd do, and did. Depending on where you're traveling, I saw quite a few places where I'd feel perfectly comfortable pulling off and setting up my tent.

I found the provincial park campgrounds to be very nicely set up, and outrageously expensive. $35 for a campsite with a picnic table, fire pit, and no power was the price I found. I traveled with a couple Canadians for a few days, and we split a campsite. The ranger charged us $12 extra because we had three "vehicles." Each motorcycle is the same as an RV in their eyes. We paid almost $50 to set up three tents. It was a nice campground though, I'll say that.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Yup , provincial park campgrounds although they may be nice tend to be quite expensive. Also during the summer in Ontario and BC for instance many tend to get filled to capacity as the big city crowds rush out to enjoy the several long weekends, transferring city congestion to the bush .
For stealth camping in Northern Ontario and anywhere else I keep an eye open for bits of abandoned highway where curves have been straightened out or intersections were reconfigured. These often are left to get overgrown with brush providing a good obscured camping spot and only one way in so no traffic comes by .Never race out the other end , there is likely a deep ditch across the former pavement. Same goes for abandoned picnic areas at such spots ( Hiway 17 Ontario at the Manitoba border has a nice one)
Up in the Yukon and BC and Alaska keep in mind that grizzly bears may be in the vicinity you choose to camp, eg. Jakes Corners, Yukon .Brown bears can be anywhere in the north bush and mountains.Deer and moose sniffing around the tent are no reason to worry. Take the recommended precautions , or find a less bear intense spot if you see their signs.
Pick a site anywhere out of view close to the road but keep in mind that you will need to be able to get out of it if the weather turns on you, or if your bike's battery dies on you overnight. Avoid dirt trails which wind DOWN from the road- they will be slimy mud if it starts to rain and you will have a grand time getting out.Pick high ground so you will be able at least to drag and coast it down to the road and then go for help or wait for somebody with car and a booster cable..
Never start a campfire when stealth camping, the park rangers and other unwanted interest will be alerted, and you do not want to be responsible for burning down the woods. Get your feed looked after before you set up a tent for the night. No cooking also speeds the process of packing up.
In Alaska look into hostelling organizations, they have some neat inexpensive tent camping and very affordable huts , very useful in rainy weather
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Take the hiways that have "a" at the end.

Unless my recollection is wrong I believe the old roads, (read two lane twisty less traffic), are marked with an "a" at the end.

Example:

The old highway is marked hi 25a, the new freeway is hi 25.

Hope this helps.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote