User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
zookiemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Real ADV scooter riding.

How man people on this forum actually ride? I'm talking ride 200miles in a day, camp out, the whole deal. With all the questions involving junk Chinese scooters I have to wonder.
Anybody in the 55/60mph club doing any touring?

Story's,Suggestions?

zookiemike screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 02:04 PM
zookiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,822
I rode over 15,000 miles last year. I did a 2100 mile 8 state trip on my Aprilia which included some camping and some dirt roads. The link to my ride report is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404

So, tell us about YOUR rides.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Mohawk Badger
Registered

Oddometer: 135
Try to get a "real" trip at least once a year

I am not sure I qualify for the 55/60 club as I ride a Burgman 650 but I try and get a least one multi-day trip a year. I live in the Capital District of NY and in recent years have hit Maine, Ontario and nearer by the Adirondacks.
Mohawk Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
You mean like this?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic64128

Yes, that me. And my wife. One of our trips.

Here's another:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic57196

Log onto modernvespa.com and read about numerous intrepid scooter adventurists.( Ride reports section)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
zookiemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess I phrased that wrong. How man people are going for extended trips on the 150/300 cc scooters? What have you encountered? I'm glad I'm not alone in the madness from what I seen already.

For me its a challenge this year. I rode big dual sports all over Michigan the past year or two and liked the idea of a smaller bike.. so I bought some vespa 150's.
klaviator, I'll read your RR when I get home. Looks like a nice ride. I thought about a burgman 400 for awhile. Not sure about tire wear, service life on belts..stuff that sucks too work on with the bigger scooters.
Are the helix's still a viable option?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookiemike View Post
I guess I phrased that wrong. How man people are going for extended trips on the 150/300 cc scooters? What have you encountered? I'm glad I'm not alone in the madness from what I seen already.

For me its a challenge this year. I rode big dual sports all over Michigan the past year or two and liked the idea of a smaller bike.. so I bought some vespa 150's.
klaviator, I'll read your RR when I get home. Looks like a nice ride. I thought about a burgman 400 for awhile. Not sure about tire wear, service life on belts..stuff that sucks too work on with the bigger scooters.
Are the helix's still a viable option?

In my case we traveled by a 200cc and 250cc scooter respectively in those reports.

If you put serious miles in any scooter, expect to do some service. But even on the 150cc Vespas the drive belt lasts approx 6000 miles, and plan on a rear tire each 3000 miles. Ask me how I know....

On the larger scooters (200cc+) drive belts go 8000-10000 and tires are also 3000+.

Piaggios new BV-350 has a 15k belt life, and larger tires reportedly netting 6000 miles on the rear. I will find out as I recently added one.

The Helix is marvelous, IF you can find a decent one. A Big Ruckus is essentially the same machine under the skin, and has cult-like following.

To reiterate....touring by Vespa is popular and do-able. 150 up, just depends on where and what.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
zookiemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
In my case we traveled by a 200cc and 250cc scooter respectively in those reports.

If you put serious miles in any scooter, expect to do some service. But even on the 150cc Vespas the drive belt lasts approx 6000 miles, and plan on a rear tire each 3000 miles. Ask me how I know....

On the larger scooters (200cc+) drive belts go 8000-10000 and tires are also 3000+.

Piaggios new BV-350 has a 15k belt life, and larger tires reportedly netting 6000 miles on the rear. I will find out as I recently added one.

The Helix is marvelous, IF you can find a decent one. A Big Ruckus is essentially the same machine under the skin, and has cult-like following.

To reiterate....touring by Vespa is popular and do-able. 150 up, just depends on where and what.
Well the limits will be how much leg cramp and monkey butt i can deal with . I'm cool with 60mph. Freeways are boring. The only thing i might do is some heavier weights in the variator and a big bore. 3K on a tire i can deal with. I'm not sure if i plan on leaving Michigan with the vespa. I might take the ferry over and head into Chicago or something I just was looking for inspiration. This site has been such an awesome knowledge base full of cool people doing great things that it has changed how i look at riding. When i was the only guy riding in the snow 25miles to work on my xr650 this year at work, I loved it. Who knows. I have family out east. Maybe I'll do a Canadian run and drop back down. Might buy a reflex or burgman for all that, But i'm glad that people aren't just taking the easy route and buying GS monsters and stroms. It's a different breed i think, maybe a different mind set. I really do like the big Rucks, Just finding one and at that point i could pick up a reflex cheaper i think.
I rode my little green vespa 200mile last sat. It was its maiden voyage.
It really impressed me though. This bike has been the first piaggio I've owned.
I'm geeked for the spring.
With the helix, finding a clean one is a task. I'm not all that keen on buying a clone bike either. I would rather have a busted up honda knowing it was a honda.
Thanks for the info on belt life with the vespa, My bike i brand new. Dealer lost the keys and it had a dent so they just parked it at 70miles!! so i am just breaking this one in. I also got a sister et4 with it that has 3k.

zookiemike screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:38 AM
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Classic

Quote:
Well the limits will be how much leg cramp and monkey butt i can deal with . I'm cool with 60mph. Freeways are boring. The only thing i might do is some heavier weights in the variator and a big bore. 3K on a tire i can deal with. I'm not sure if i plan on leaving Michigan with the vespa. I might take the ferry over and head into Chicago or something I just was looking for inspiration. This site has been such an awesome knowledge base full of cool people doing great things that it has changed how i look at riding. When i was the only guy riding in the snow 25miles to work on my xr650 this year at work, I loved it. Who knows. I have family out east. Maybe I'll do a Canadian run and drop back down. Might buy a reflex or burgman for all that, But i'm glad that people aren't just taking the easy route and buying GS monsters and stroms. It's a different breed i think, maybe a different mind set. I really do like the big Rucks, Just finding one and at that point i could pick up a reflex cheaper i think.
I rode my little green vespa 200mile last sat. It was its maiden voyage.
It really impressed me though. This bike has been the first piaggio I've owned.
I'm geeked for the spring.
With the helix, finding a clean one is a task. I'm not all that keen on buying a clone bike either. I would rather have a busted up honda knowing it was a honda.
Thanks for the info on belt life with the vespa, My bike i brand new. Dealer lost the keys and it had a dent so they just parked it at 70miles!! so i am just breaking this one in. I also got a sister et4 with it that has 3k.

The ET-4 is already considered a "classic" Vespa by some, if not many (myself included).

It is the FIRST Vespa model to mark Vespas re-introduction to the US marketplace in the very early 2000's, its intrinsic simple "goodness" make it super reliable, and mostly its a hoot to ride.

Enjoy.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
How man people on this forum actually ride? I'm talking ride 200miles in a day, camp out, the whole deal. With all the questions involving junk Chinese scooters I have to wonder.
Anybody in the 55/60mph club doing any touring?
A whole 200 miles in a day AND camp out!! All on a 150-300cc machine! Wow! That's just crazy

(shhh, no one tell him about Dabinche or NathanthePostman or any of the other RRs )
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Give me an old 2 stroke Vespa for ADV touring over the new ones any day. No plastic, no belts or chains, spare tire that fit front or rear, manual transmission. I've done a 17,000 mile trip all around Canada and Alaska including about 2500 miles of gravel on a 74 Vespa 200. Carried all my gear and camped exclusively. Most miles in a day was over 700. Rear Michelin tires were good for 6000 miles and fronts for 18,000.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
A whole 200 miles in a day AND camp out!! All on a 150-300cc machine! Wow! That's just crazy

(shhh, no one tell him about Dabinche or NathanthePostman or any of the other RRs )
I was just thinking about you since your ride report was quite epic! Across America, Africa and Asia on a couple of Sym Symba's. If you combine both engines you have a whopping 210cc

Here's a link for those who never read Underboning's RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979

200 miles and camping may seem pretty tame to some, but there are many riders who never do anything nearly that adventuresome. Others ride around the world. Adventure is just like beauty, it's all in the eye of the beholder

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
zookiemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like that i stirred up enough commotion that people dropped all the good scooter and small bike RR links so i don't have to search lol.
My next vespa( if i get one )will be an older vespa p200. The only thing i don't care for on the new vespa is how top heavy it is, and the immobilizer ignition. BLAH

zookiemike screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 02:03 PM
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,437
I've done a few 500 mile weekends, including camping, on my Helix.. Basically, it's a baby Wing.. Comfortable and with my top box it's got room left over when I ride to rallies. That includes my tent, full size air mattress, sleeping bag and fleece bag, as well as clothes and anything else I feel I have to have..

And at a BMW rally, it's amazing how much it becomes a conversation piece.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,750
I ve done 300 to 700 K in a day on a helix touring. 900 once to get where I had to go at 73 mph flat out where it was flat. Only crazy thing is doing 73 mph flat out near it getting dark an you can deer around .
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I recently did a 700+ mile trip on my Zuma 125 (took 2 days, but not sunup till sundown) Did not camp, not safe around here, stayed in a Motel 6. I have a 2008 Yamaha Vino 125 with over 24,000 miles on it, all mine. I've done a couple of week long trips on that, but didn't get to far from home. I had to ride hundreds of miles out of the way to get where I was going, because it is not freeway legal. Again not much camping. I need a bed after an all day ride. The biggest issue with taking long trips on small scooters is they are not freeway legal, and it is almost impossible to get anywhere without at least getting on the freeway for a few miles. My 700 mile round trip involved 11 miles of freeway riding each way. Fortunately I didn't get caught. I could spend the rest of my life riding small scooters if they would put a slow moving vehicle lane on the freeways for them.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote