User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
mike1952 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
kendon trailer

I am retiring soon and want to take extended trips and tow my bikes. I am thinking about a Kendon dual place that is supposed to allow you to ride up onto it. Anyone experience with this unit? They also make one that is not a ride up on model.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,150
I'm not familiar with the new ride on models. I looked really hard at the kendons for a while. I liked the stand up feature and they seemed to be pretty well built. I talked to a few folks who had them and heard nothing but praise. But they were too much $$$ for me. I found a 5X8 landscapers trailer locally for 1/4 the price of the kendon. I bolted some caulks in the front and it carries 2 bikes fine. It has a fold down ramp that allows me to ride on for loading. I've used it for dirt bikes, track bikes, and touring bikes. It's heavier than the kendon and doesn't fold for storage but I'm happy with it.

I'm sure you'd be happy with the kendon too if you decide to go that way. Like I said, nothing but praise from the people I talked to that owned them.

Congrats on your retirement.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 996
I have one. I would not ride on using the stock ramps, they are way to narrow and the risk of dropping the bike is way to high. If you got a wider ramp I think you would be OK though.

The trailer does easily fold and stand up when you need to store it.

Overall, I would say the trailer is good and solid - but depending on your budget - there is absolutely no doubt the Aluma MC2F folding trailer is better. It is truly ride on and is much more solid.
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
I am retiring soon and want to take extended trips and tow my bikes. I am thinking about a Kendon dual place that is supposed to allow you to ride up onto it. Anyone experience with this unit? They also make one that is not a ride up on model.
A friend of mine has one (3-rail model) that has the optional HD suspension. That thing is scary-dangerous to pull. I suspect that the HD suspension is achieved by shortening the axle arms to increase weight capacity, which would move the wheels forward. With two bikes loaded it's impossible to have any tongue weight whatsoever (even short dirt bikes). I will never pull one of those trailers again.

And beyond this personal experience, I've never heard a negative comment about them.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
A friend of mine has one (3-rail model) that has the optional HD suspension. That thing is scary-dangerous to pull. I suspect that the HD suspension is achieved by shortening the axle arms to increase weight capacity, which would move the wheels forward. With two bikes loaded it's impossible to have any tongue weight whatsoever (even short dirt bikes). I will never pull one of those trailers again.

And beyond this personal experience, I've never heard a negative comment about them.

John
I'm not quite tracking this concern, although I don't know anything about the HD suspension. I bought mine off Craigslist--slightly used for just over half the price of new. The construction is very high quality and it pulls beautifully. I've carried a single dirt bike, two dirt bikes, and two road bikes on it for many hundreds of miles. It loads and rides smoothly and easily. The tongue is short which makes it a bit tough to back up, especially unloaded as you can't see the trailer. Expensive, but worth it if you're going to use it for any real distances.
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
scarysharkface
30-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
I'm not quite tracking this concern, although I don't know anything about the HD suspension. I bought mine off Craigslist--slightly used for just over half the price of new. The construction is very high quality and it pulls beautifully. I've carried a single dirt bike, two dirt bikes, and two road bikes on it for many hundreds of miles. It loads and rides smoothly and easily. The tongue is short which makes it a bit tough to back up, especially unloaded as you can't see the trailer. Expensive, but worth it if you're going to use it for any real distances.
Yep, very well built.

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post

Same here.

I have a dual and I've had a single 12GS and two 12GSs and a Vespa on it and it pulls beautifully. You almost don't know it's back there.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
mike1952 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
I have one. I would not ride on using the stock ramps, they are way to narrow and the risk of dropping the bike is way to high. If you got a wider ramp I think you would be OK though.

The trailer does easily fold and stand up when you need to store it.

Overall, I would say the trailer is good and solid - but depending on your budget - there is absolutely no doubt the Aluma MC2F folding trailer is better. It is truly ride on and is much more solid.

Is it the standard or the new ride on model? Could me and my wife load the bike? Vstrom, Ninja 650 or DR650.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
Have owned a single rail for 20 years, and only problem was the spare fell off a couple years ago! And owner of company went out of his way to solve it and get me the proper (old style) spare. great product and great people to deal with. Rides smooth as new. Third set of tires now. Love the folding flip-up feature.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
scarysharkface
30-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Same here.

I have a dual and I've had a single 12GS and two 12GSs and a Vespa on it and it pulls beautifully. You almost don't know it's back there.
My point is don't order the heavy suspension. The trailer geometry isn't designed for it, however tempting it might be. My friend's concern was that he was hauling a KLR, a KTM 990 and a dirt bike, and that exceeds the normal Kendon 3-rail gvw.

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
My point is don't order the heavy suspension. The trailer geometry isn't designed for it, however tempting it might be. My friend's concern was that he was hauling a KLR, a KTM 990 and a dirt bike, and that exceeds the normal Kendon 3-rail gvw.

John
Those three bikes don't exceed the 2000# capacity of the Kendon. I carried two KLR's and a Dr650 with ease and two 990's just as easily. The real benefit besides easy loading and towing is the ability to stand it up in the garage out of the way.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Those three bikes don't exceed the 2000# capacity of the Kendon. I carried two KLR's and a Dr650 with ease and two 990's just as easily. The real benefit besides easy loading and towing is the ability to stand it up in the garage out of the way.
It's definitely well-built and being able to stand it up in the garage is a great feature. Not sure about the weight thing, but my friend asked them to increase it and they did. It *has* to have been by shortening the length of the trailing axle arms, because his Kendon pulls like a back-loaded trailer full of horses. It's downright scary on everything but the smoothest of straight asphalt.

I'd be interested in towing a standard-configuration 3-rail for comparison. I'm certain it's a significantly better experience, since Kendon trailers are highly-regarded and never discounted that I've ever seen.

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Actually, the 3 rail trailers only have a 1500 LB capacity. The dual rail trailers have a 2K lb capacity.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
scarysharkface
30-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Actually, the 3 rail trailers only have a 1500 LB capacity. The dual rail trailers have a 2K lb capacity.
That 'splains it, and now that I think about it the third bike was a V-Strom, not a dirt bike.

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,674
I have a dual rail 2005 that I have pulled about 10k+ miles, sometimes with a Goldwing and BMW K1200 GT on it. Great trailer- tracks beautifully. Easy to walk a bike up into the front wheel catch system.

Great bearing arrangement too - grease through the center of the axle to the back bearing which then pushes the old grease out.

Balance the wheels and make sure you pump the tires to 40 + psi
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote