User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Higher milage cruiser question.

Finally sold my old BMW and am looking at a cruiser for local riding and short trips. Have looked at all the mid sized cruisers and found one locally that seems to be good, but want to get some opinions. For what I need, high powered big cruisers are just not required.

So, the bike I am looking at is a 2005 Honda 750 Aero. I know, the Aero isn't as powerful as the other mid sized cruisers, but as I am going from a 1981 tractor to a much more modern bike, I think it will do me fine. I like the semi retro styling, and think that the amount of power should be more than adequate for around town and the odd short trip. All my riding will be one up as my wife still has her little BMW, and will not part with it.

So, this particular bike has 70,000 KM (43,000 miles). Is that high mileage for an 8 year old bike? He used it for a daily commuter. It has been regularly serviced with oil changes every 5000 KM and the rear spline lubed twice a year. Antifreeze replaced every year. Last fall he put on new tires and replaced fork oil and flushed the brake fluid. It looks great, and appears that it has been fairly well taken care of. The present owner is asking $2850 Cdn which is about 1/2 what most are going for in my area. I am wondering if there might be some hidden issues that might be of concern.

What type of issues might I look for on a higher mileage Aero? Are there some mechanical issues that may be looming due to the mileage? Cam chains, bearings, what? I don't know these new fangled bikes all that well. I am willing to do mechanical work, having owned an old Airhead for the past 35 years, I have learned to do my own maintenance, as well as major work when required.

Oh, and his reason for selling is that he has ordered a new Harley for long distance trips. Says he is only asking what the dealer will give him on trade in.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 223
Shadow

FWIW My friend has a 750 Shadow and as of last year I believe he is over 80K miles. He has just done regular maintenance on it and has had no problems. He already has plans for more trips this summer and no intention of getting rid of it.

From what I've heard the Shadows are regarded as highly reliable

If it's what you want and fits the budget, get it.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Yeah, it's got a lot of life yet.

All the service stuff you mentioned, in addition to regular items like wheel bearings and head bearings.

Mind the coolant system. There is a connector between the two heads that needs to be attended to, maybe.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Thanks guys. I am real old school in that the newest bike I ever owned was made in 1981. I was wondering if there is anything to worry about, or expect to have to do on a bike with that kind of mileage. I would think that with the technology today, the newer bikes should be able to last a very long time, as long as it is properly maintained.

I will be going to see this bike this Sunday and will probably pull the trigger. Been without my good old beemer for 3 weeks now, and starting to get the shakes. But it was time to move on. I just was not using it like it was intended. No more long bike trips for me in the near future.

I am retiring in a couple of years and am thinking of getting a couple of small dual purpose bikes to take with the motorhome, so we can do some back country adventures and still have a good bed to come back to. Comfort is getting more and more important as I gain years.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
The 750 Aero's with the shaft drive are simple and extremely reliable bikes, just not real fast. Typical Honda quality. Pull the trigger and have fun.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote