Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I just noticed a similar thread was posted last year, might be worth a look: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755838
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #32
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
white is good

A white helmet is always the least expensive. Add your own reflective material material for less than expensive manufacturer's paint and white doesn't show scratches.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I bought a hi-vis helmet this winter. It sure is bright, I like it. Haven't had a chance to ride with it yet. Blizzard warnings for tonight and tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Mercedes did a study a few years ago. White is the most visible color on the road. I own a fleet of passenger vehicles. We use white for that reason. Oddly enough, the US Coast Guard also did a study on visibility. Baby blue is the most visible color in the water.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
I think it's splitting hairs honestly. Both are great choices for high visibility.

Personally though, I think hi-viz stands out more than white. As a cager, a hi-viz helmet (or jacket) pops right out at me... Far more than any other color.

I wonder if there are any studies that include both white and hi-viz colors?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #36
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 977
Just got this the other day... it sure is jump out at you bright...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,938
Oh how I wish I could lay my hands in the study....
Iirc it was that wearers of white helmets were under represented in the studied crashes.

Draw your own conclusions.

Conspicuity wise White crushes high viz at night, assuming you are talking high viz yellow or high viz orange.

My feeling after having read a bunch of papers from hurt report based stuff to current stuff.

Is that for the widest range of situations a white helmets have a leg up conspicuity wise over other colors.

But all the bright colors and reflective tape will not do squat if the nut holding the handlebars to the seat is loose or cross threaded.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #38
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Oh how I wish I could lay my hands in the study....
Iirc it was that wearers of white helmets were under represented in the studied crashes.

Draw your own conclusions.

Conspicuity wise White crushes high viz at night, assuming you are talking high viz yellow or high viz orange.

My feeling after having read a bunch of papers from hurt report based stuff to current stuff.

Is that for the widest range of situations a white helmets have a leg up conspicuity wise over other colors.

But all the bright colors and reflective tape will not do squat if the nut holding the handlebars to the seat is loose or cross threaded.
Someone posted this earlier in the thread : http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #39
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
A lot of people are talking about adding reflective tape to a white helmet. That kinda defeats the purpose of a while helmet. Once you add stripes, even reflective ones, you loose a large part of what makes the white so effective. Take a look at other riders on the road. Look at them when they are a long way in front of you. A solid white or hi-viz helmet stands out like a bouncing ball. Any graphics is camouflage against the rest of the cars on the road.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #40
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
Someone posted this earlier in the thread : http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857
Thanks for the link. I missed that earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
A lot of people are talking about adding reflective tape to a white helmet. That kinda defeats the purpose of a while helmet. Once you add stripes, even reflective ones, you loose a large part of what makes the white so effective. Take a look at other riders on the road. Look at them when they are a long way in front of you. A solid white or hi-viz helmet stands out like a bouncing ball. Any graphics is camouflage against the rest of the cars on the road.
What about white reflective strips?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #41
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post

Very true, unless the reflective tape is white like the Solas.

Graphics, while seeming to scream look at me do clutter up the shape and break it down into tiny pieces that get lost in the background....an effective camo if you will. A large, solid, light color traveling @ six feet off the ground on the highway helps.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,778
White helmet, with white reflective tape, and a High-Viz jacket. White isn't as noticeable in fog, snow, or a sea of white vehicles and/or billboards/signs. High-Viz isn't as noticeable in the dark.

Switch between orange and green jackets for the season, or even just for wash day. Generally though...Don't match the foliage.

Also have the High-Viz color contrasted by patches of a dark color.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #43
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
I started with a white helmet when I started riding almost 20 years ago. I thought it was pretty noticeable.

Then for many years, I had all kinds of various colored helmets, but nothing bright.

When Scorpion first came out with their Hi-Viz EXO-700 helmet some years back, I jumped on board right away. I loved that helmet, but it faded after a year and they replaced it, but the next one faded again. I kept wearing it, but became pretty disgusted how bad it started looking. I've seen many other faded hi-viz helmets and I think unless you take the time to maybe wax them or something, they are going to fade.

I wasn't ready to give up on Hi-viz helmets yet though, so I when saw that Nexx had a bright high-viz XR1R in Florescent orange, I had to give it a shot. So far this one is holding up well and not fading. This is my new favorite helmet by the way. I still love the EXO-700's but this XR1R rocks!

Between that Orange helmet and my hi-viz yellow gear, I know they can see me!

Oh yeah, when Scorpion started closing out the hi-viz EXO-700's I picked up a 3rd one and going to try the car wax this time to see if it lasts longer, but I know eventually it will probably fade.

I've also had a lot of high viz Olympia gear for the past few years too, but once again, I'm tired of how grungy it starts looking so I think going forward I'm going to just get the hi-viz vests to wear over darker colored gear that is cheaper to replace and keep looking nice.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Here is my $0.02.

87% of statistics are made up.

However, anecdotal evidence suggests a while helmet is easier to pick out. My friend Reid rides a Goldwing (on his way to 550,000km so far) and wears a Hi-Viz jacket and white helmet.

No matter where I am travelling, whether it be in my car, in the Ambulance or on my bike, I have NO problem identifying Reid from huge distances. I've also noted in traffic that those riders with white helmets catch my eye quicker than those wearing flashy colors.

I'm 75% sure you'll make the right choice.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #45
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
If you can't find a hi-viz helmet you like, can afford, or fits properly, consider the following comparison:

My brother and I both ride flat black V-stroms and wear very similar colored gear, including hi-viz jackets. Consider the following two pictures, taken within minutes of each other under overcast, mid-day skies. The major difference is his helmet is white, mine is anthracite grey. These photos were a major reason I sold my grey RF-1100 and replaced it with a White GT-Air.

Considering the bike blocks large portions of the jacket and the helmet is the highest most visible part of your gear, which one would you rather be wearing to be better seen?

Me:

My brother: