Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
If I could put on or take off a Roadcrafter in 20-seconds it would be great. With practice it seems possible.

Are the sleeves big enough for you to tuck your glove gauntlets in when it rains? Is the passthrough for heated gear power standard or an extra?
It won't take much practice to hit that mark. I've not come across anything as quick and easy to put on and take off.

Yes, normally there is lots of room for gauntlets, so long as they are not hockey gloves. The passthrough for heated gears is standard. It also allows access to pants pockets without removing the suit.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I had a 2 pc RC. I thought it was the worst of both worlds. Takes longer to put on. The pants are no good for wearing by themselves when you stop and want to take the jacket off. The extra material from where the jacket and pants overlap bunches up in your crotch when you're on the bike.

At least, that's why I sold mine and got a 1pc. Of course, YMMV.
That's good to know. I'm thinking about replacing my 13 year old Darien Suit, and have been thinking about a 2pc Roadcrafter.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Are the sleeves big enough for you to tuck your glove gauntlets in when it rains? Is the passthrough for heated gear power standard or an extra?
Short answer? Yes. Long answer? If the gauntlets are thin, I can tuck them in and zip up the wrist zippers. If the gauntlets are bulky, then I think worst case is you can zip the wrist zips part way and then use the wrist velcro to cinch the ends of the sleeves tight around the gloves. The wrist zippers have bellows flaps behind them, so water won't come in even though they aren't zipped up all the way.

As for a heat pass through, I think they do offer that as an extra cost option. But, I don't have that on my 1pc RC. I just run the cable out the zippered hip opening and zip it up tight to the cable and close the velcro flap over the zipper.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldburg View Post
I wore a Fieldsheer Transit suit for a season before it shrunk unexpectedly in the wasit area. It was a decent commuting suit for cold weather. i had no complaints. It's not in the same $$ as the roadcrafter...
Thanks. I looked and it looks like it's no longer made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Plus if you are near SF , Aerostitch is having a roadshow there for a couple of weeks .
Yup. 9 days. Went last weekend, and might go back. Even if I don't find the right off the shelf size apparently I can get fitted there for a custom. If I'm sold on the concept.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
The Roadcrafter Light video makes it look appealing for commuting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
The Roadcrafter Light video makes it look appealing for commuting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc
If does. It looked to me like he was putting it on and taking it off with his boots on. I wasn't wearing my boots when I tried a regular RC but it didn't seem likely to me it would go on over them.

Can you get your one-piece textile suit on over your boots? If so curious I'm curious what suit and boots.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
huy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
If does. It looked to me like he was putting it on and taking it off with his boots on. I wasn't wearing my boots when I tried a regular RC but it didn't seem likely to me it would go on over them.

Can you get your one-piece textile suit on over your boots? If so curious I'm curious what suit and boots.
At first I didn't think I could but it's pretty easy. A little easier taking the suit off but not difficult at all to put the suit on with boots.

I have a 1 piece Roadcrafter in 38L and size 10 boots.
huy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 411
I've spent a bunch of time and effort mulling over a similar question myself. I wanted a reasonably water resistant commuter suit that was easy to get in and out of. I knew Aerostich and the RC name; many family and friends have had the suits and raved about them. I always thought the price was way too high to even think about. But I've become tired of buying new crap gear every few years. Ultimately it hit me: If I had bought an RC 5-10 years ago, I'd have done it once and been done.

I considered the RC light.

Ultimately, three things turned me off:
Sacrificing protection for a lighter suit seemed like too much of a sacrifice. I felt that if I was going to spend this kind of money, I might as well have the best protection they offer.
The RC light is not US made.
By the time you add pads (the RC light does not include them), you are close to a RC suit price.

This led me to believe the light was not for me. A onsey RC it is then, right?

Then I realized I wasn't shaped like the Aerostich test model. Also I decided that I wanted to mix and match colors. Finally, I heard rumors that the 2-piece was somewhat better at keeping the rain out than the 1-piece.

Ultimately I ordered a 2-piece. I am still waiting for it. They sent me a suit we knew wouldn't fit for sizing comparison. I wound up taking the same size and style pants, but having them shortened. Then ordered a different jacket. I am expecting it any day.

I have a co-worker with a 1-piece. He's had it forever and can put it on/off very quickly. I brought the 2-piece in to show him. He couldn't get the thing on very quickly either. The 2 zippers definitely slow you down. But it is still light years better than traditional pants with zippers on the outside. The big zipper down the middle and the ability to step out of the left leg is pretty nice. Once I get it broke in I imagine I'll be able to get from commuter mode to work mode pretty quick. If I never ever unzip the two halves.. so be it.

Edit: Another option is the new RC 'City' suit. It solves several of my complaints with the RC light. Namely it is made in the US and can be mixed and matched for better fit and color choices. It still uses the lighter fabric, but maybe one can live with a suit with 1 strike against it.

nhbubba screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:56 PM
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I commute almost every day wearing a suit and tie, rain or shine but not so much when there is snow on the road. My commute is about 60 km each way if I go direct, although heading home often takes me a greater distance than heading to work. I drove my car to work three times last year from March 12 until sometime in November. I don't see how I could do it so easily if I didn't have the Roadcrafter.

I have a two piece Roadcrafter and can say that it does go on in about 20 seconds. I don't have issues with bunching, there is no issue with heated gear wiring and it has proven to be waterproof for me in most cases. (I sometimes get water in the neck if I am not careful how I do up the neck part.) my temperature range has been as low as -16c, single digit f with fleece on (no heated gear at that time.) I have worn it in very hot wether but would take the suit and tie off and put in the top case if the temps are above the 70's.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #25
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:

You can put on a 1pc Stich with ski boots on, no problem. One of the joys of their design. Don't know about other designs.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
One of the great features of the Roadcrafter (One or Two piece) is that you can (and should!) put the suit on after your boots are on and take it off before you take off your boots. It's easy and avoids wet and/or muddy feet from water dripping off the suit.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I can use my 1-pc RC yearround for my short 25 minute commute. Takes less than a minute to put on or take off. I need to treat mine at least once a year for water repellency. I have owned mine since 1991. They are bulky to stow when you are off the bike. I usually just run a locking cable through the sleeve and leave it on the seat. Never regretted shelling out the $$ for the suit.
Get over to the city to check them out, as someone mentioned in an earlier post.
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #28
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
More of the same...

1pc RC. Commute every day, year round. Boots are no problem. With practice and break-in, it goes on and comes off quickly.

I've always worn my gauntlets over the sleeve. Trying to stuff them under the sleeve is too much hassle for daily wear. I've also found no benefit.

I do get crotch leakage even after I upgraded the zipper last year. However, my current leakage is coming from an area that suggests it's not the zipper. I'm sending it back this weekend. They say they can pressure test it.

Interesting comments about the 2pc which I've recently considered upgrading to. I'd really like to have a removable jacket but not the bunching.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
Darkseid
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Interesting comments about the 2pc which I've recently considered upgrading to. I'd really like to have a removable jacket but not the bunching.
I went from a one piece to a two piece a few years ago. I don't regret it. I haven't had any issues with bunching or extra fabric getting in the way, and it's just as fast to get on and off as the one piece--if you leave the jacket and pants zipped together. I like having the versatility of being able to just remove the jacket while on the road.

Right now I'm considering the suspender attachment for the pants. You lose the ability to attach the jacket to the pants but it strikes me that it might be more convenient when touring.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
RC one pc is about the easiest to get on/off. Ive owned three different one pc textile and RC has them beat. plus you can get it custom made. even though it cost 1k it will last you for a decade easy.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote