Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I didnt get very far with lacing the front wheel today, so on the basis that the only stupid question is the one you dont ask, I popped around the corner to see Bill who soon pointed out my beginners error. When I unpacked the spokes, the rear spokes were in two seperate bags. I did check to see if there were any differences but they were the same length and had the same angle of bend. So without further thought I got stuck in. Bill pointed out that I had two diferent spoke sets, one of which had a slightly longer bend, these should be used when a spoke crosses on top of another at the hub. Mystery solved, he kindly offered to finish the wheel for me and true it up, in the meantime I admired the last of the three 1920s Sunbeams he'd restored, from being piles of rust dug up out of ground of a old scrap yard. Not to mention his Velo and Vincent and a couple of specials.. I must remember to take my camera when I collect the wheel in a day or so.
Bevelheadmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The wheels are done now at last, and I managed to reuse the front disc spacers from the original bike on the new hub, with some machining to fit the EBC discs. Unfortunately, I didnt realise that the underside of the spacers would also need a bit of work, so the the front discs will have to wait till I can sort out their spacers.

The rear disc mounting holes also had to be widened (as HD hubs use bigger bolts on the back than the front) and disc manufacturers dont seem to bother drilling the correct size holes. I need to find a rear Nissin caliper then I can make a caliper mount and wheel spacers fo rthe back wheel.

Here's a blurry vid I just took of progress to date, you can see I dont have a lot of room, as I'm working in the conversatory, as the garage is full up. By the end of the month I hope to have it on its wheels, then I can start on the engine, first task, is to make an exhaust system then a one off Hydraulic clutch conversion, so I can use a matching pair of brembo hand controls. May not work, but I want to try.

http://youtu.be/MeqE9wE2gTY
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #33
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The front disc spacers are finally done, I took them off the original mag wheels, and luckily they were about the correct thickness for the new forks and calipers. I had to reduce the diameter by 10mm and widen the hole a bit for the stainless wheel spacers, still thats a lot less work than making them from scratch. It was asking a bit too much to expect the spacers to be spot on in the new front end, and sure enough I had to use a washer to space the calipers out to get them centred on the disc, they were about 2mm out. I wont leave it like that as using washers is a big no no, I'll machine some little spacers later.

image hosting over 2mb

One of the favourite parts I've bought so far is this toggle for the tank strap, lovely bit of kit. The tank strap has to be sized and a hook pop rivetted onto the strap, but need to make the buckle at the other end yet.

Its almost on its wheels now, the tyres turned up today (Avon AM26s) but I'm still waiting on the inner tubes and rim tape. The rear is a 120x18, when I started out on bikes that seemed a huge tyre, now it looks like it belongs on a moped.

My plans for a hydraulic clutch conversion are starting to come together, as I'm swapping an old roll of roofing felt for a mint Brembo clutch slave cylinder.
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:15 AM
Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #34
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

and here it is.. just got to work out a neat way of bolting to the case and extending the clutch pushrod..

image sharing
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:16 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #35
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well today it finally sat on its own wheels, still need to sort out the wheel spacers and a brake caliper for the rear wheel, but bodged a couple of spare spacers I had for now. Then I had one of those strange incidents that leave me baffled.. I knelt down to fit the front wheel, trying to line up the spindle with the first spacer, and the spacer fell to the floor.. need three hands for this job.. I fished around for the spacer, couldnt find it. I stood up, had a look around my feet, no spacer. I had a good hunt around, no spacer, I moved everything in the blooming room, no spacer.. god knows where its gone, it only fell a foot, so it could hardly have bounced off somewhere.. must have a black hole in there, its the only explanation. I'll have make another, in the meantime another spare spacer (a bit too narrow) was bodged on.

At least I didnt lose this cool replacement choke 'enrichener'.. since I wont be using a std teardrop S&S air filter with its choke lever, this little gizmo takes its place..

imgur
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:17 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Super cool build! I have always loved the idea of this marriage, and remember, but can't find, a beautiful one built in in Aus that was featured in Classic Bike many moons ago.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I sat down the other day and made a list of all the jobs still to do.. it came to three pages of A4...At least one easy job was to make an undertray to sit beneath the seat hump, as thats where most of the electrics will be going. So in best Blue Peter style, (famous kids TV program in the UK) I cut up a cereal box to make a simple template.

I made it longer than expected, so I can use it to mount the seat a little further forward if needed, and maybe the oil tank too. I can always cut it back a little to look neater. Then to save myself a lot of hassle, I went over to a local fabrication workshop (best welder in town) who is happy to make stuff for me for a few quid cash in hand. When he isnt on site working at places like Kellogs and Heinz, he works out of a small place in an old converted barn..

image post

gif uploader

Where he soon made me the tray in 1.5mm stainless plate, all I had to do was bend it slightly to follow the lines of the seat loop when I got home. Just need to drill a few mounting holes and sort out some kind of P clips to support it at the back. I dont want to weld any taps onto this frame, its too nice to mess up.
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:18 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #38
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I sat down the other evening and listed all the jobs and parts I still needed to finish the bike.. it came to 3 pages of A4 .. oh well, best keep going then.
I ordered a few more parts this week, headlamp, ignition barrel, tail light etc. The tail light arrived today, a bit of a cliche perhaps, but I like it. need to make a mount for it now and for the number plate too.. Ill add it to the list.

I've also taken the starter apart, painted the case and polished the alloy end cap. Putting it back together wasnt so easy, keeping all the spings and bushes in place is very fiddly. The ridged end cap normally has a chrome cover, which wont look right on the bike, so I intend to make a billet one instead.. I'll add it to the list

When I refitted the starter motor, it needed a new gasket, not a problem as I'd bought a full gasket set ages ago. One of the best things about older Harleys is the availablity and cost of spares, the full gasket kit cost me about 50, and its a quality product, not a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #39
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Loving the work and the pics. Just a question - isn't that frame bronze welded not brazed? I'd love to have room for an acetylene setup for brazing/welding myself, results looks great.
regomodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #40
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
Loving the work and the pics. Just a question - isn't that frame bronze welded not brazed? I'd love to have room for an acetylene setup for brazing/welding myself, results looks great.
Its brazed, tubing is T45, the modern version of Reynolds 531.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #41
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelheadmhr View Post
Its brazed, tubing is T45, the modern version of Reynolds 531.
I thought my eyes weren't deceiving me, Norley's site says they're all bronze welded. I'd love to so a brazed frame motorbike with the fancy lugging that'd be needed.
regomodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple more tasks ticked off the endless 'to-do' list.. First fitted a Tomaselli throttle and grips, it will need a one off cable to work with the S&S carb, that can wait for now..

image hosting site

Next the hydraulic clutch conversion is going ok, had to use a Banjo bolt with a built in bleed nibble for the slave cylinder. It sticks out a fair bit from the case and looks as if it'll need some kind of protection in case its gets knocked or the bike falls over (fingers crossed it never will). I need to work out how long a new clutch rod needs to be to work with the slave cylinder.. another item on the to do list..

Old Bembo slave cyinder on the left, we used its piston and seal in the new one..

screen shot windows

The one off slave replaces the clutch inspection cap in the Primary cover

img host

Finally, I tried a few calipers I had, all Brembos, a couple from a 916 and one from a CB500. None really worked how I wanted, so I ended up buying a new rear caliper at a very good price. I'll take the swingarm and wheel to my mates workshop later this week and make the wheel spacers and a caliper mount. It means the bike will have two black front calipers and a gold rear, which bothered me a little, till I noticed that a BMW 1000RR has gold front Brembos and sa black rear, so if its good enough for BMW its ok for me..

Shiny new caliper.. need to make a mount, torque arm and wheel spacers next..

free upload pictures

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 03:42 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #43
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple more tasks ticked off the to-do list, first I replaced the generator end cover with an aftermarket one which is also a rectifier. This cleans up the wiring and looks a bit better I think..

I didn't like the chrome covers that normally get fitted to the end of the generator and starter motor, so with the generator sorted, we made a billet cover for the starter which mimics to style of the new generator cover. Not sure if I'll paint it black with the fins highlighted, or just leave it as is..

Just need to make a new mount to sit it a little further over the starter..
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 05:13 AM
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #44
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Couple of pics.. rear brake caliper mount and wheel spacers done, and special order alloy hard anodised sprocket arrived from Renthal.. the stainless wheel spacers were a bit heavy so we took some weight off by cross drilling them.

upload images free

windows screenshot
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:21 AM
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Just in case you didn't think anyone was following your progress, I'll chime in and say nice work. I've always like the iron head in a featherbed, but it's rarely done well. Yours is looking great by the way. I had the misfortune of working on a shovel sportster (a friend and I welded a rigid hard tail on his boss' bike), and everything is to shoddy on harley products for me to ever want anything to do with them again. Kudos to you, and I look forward to your progress reports.