Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #46
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'm loving this build. Skinny v-twin makes for a really appealing package.
You are very talented...
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thanks for the comments, the next task is to make an exhaust system, but that has to wait until mid July when I have the spare cash to buy the stainless tubing it'll need. In the meantime, there are lots of small jobs to do, like losing some weight.. a whole 6 grams per sprocket bolt from machining the bolt heads
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 06:18 AM
Bevelheadmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #48
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I now have a headlight though it needs the correct sized mounting bolts and spacers making, as the yokes are a little wider than standard. Also had the dropped the forks to get the bike level. Current task is making a billet top motor mount, which will also be home to the few switches it'll need.. ignition key, horn button and starter button.

img host

upload pictures free
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:24 PM
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #49
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
excellent job!...

i'm in the middle of cleaning up an EVO chopper, lotta the parts look the same, tho' i wish it had that generator that you have.... replacing the stator on mine was quite an adventure.....

saw your starter apart, and i did it too... mine would never start well....the manual has the instructions.... you turn the commutator down on a lathe between centers just enough to even it out, i went about .005" in..... then you run a small saw blade(i had the perfect one in my exacto kit....)between the ribs of the commutator to clean it all out, right down to the mica.... yeah, the brushes are a pain to get back together.... mine spins great now, 100% better than before. i could never get past the first compression cycle, now it starts like a sport bike....

i just wish mine was gonna end up as cool as yours..... been following this, can't wait til' the end.....

davesupreme screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 07:33 PM
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #50
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The exhaust is pretty much done, though still needs to be polished, and one pipe under engine needs to be expanded to give me a slip joint. I'll get a couple hooks welded on and use exhaust springs to hold it together next week. And the brackets holding the silencers are temporary, now I know how long they should be, I'll make a new neater pair..

Last week my mate Tim gave me the remaining stainless bends left over from his XL scrambler build to get me started. The first problem was that the tubing wouldn't slide over the exhaust stubs on the heads. The tubes would need to be expanded. But I didn't know which tubes I'd end up using, and nearest place I knew that could expand the 16 gauge tubing was a 60 mile round trip. So instead we made stainless two collars which would be welded on the end of the headers (when I'd worked out which tubing to use). They were machined with an internal step, so they'd be a snug fit on the tubing and the exhaust stub..

image upload

upload image online free

Another problem I had was that some of the bends I had to cut were deformed, which would've made welding them to a straight piece look awful, so they were binned. Using the good bends I did have, I could've gone for this option, as it involved a minimum of welded joints..

free image host

But it didn't look quite right, so I tried again and came up with this instead.. note all the string, tape and even an old tooth brush I used to hold everything in place, it was tricky with just one pair of hands

image uploader

A few more trips back to the welder (he tacked a couple of bends each time, I went home and checked the fit, before returning to have those joints fully welded, and so on) and its done.. It would've been better if the megas were a little higher and tilted up, but the gearchange linkage means this is as far as they could go on the left and the right hand side had to mirror the left.. I may revisit this, but not yet..

print screen windows xp

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:34 PM
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #51
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Beautiful! I love this build. It's going to be a very nice bike when complete. I do have mixed feelings about the velocity stack on an otherwise sleek and clean machine.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #52
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Beautiful! I love this build. It's going to be a very nice bike when complete. I do have mixed feelings about the velocity stack on an otherwise sleek and clean machine.
The V stack was fitted only because I had it left over from my drag bike, it wont be used on the finished bike. I keep looking for a suitable air filter, but haven't found anything yet. Perhaps I'll try to make one..
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #53
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Easily one of the best builds going on here, well done!

But as long as we're picking nits ...... do you plan on keeping the segmented pushrod tubes?

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #54
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Easily one of the best builds going on here, well done!

But as long as we're picking nits ...... do you plan on keeping the segmented pushrod tubes?

Thanks for comment, its still along way from being finished. Looking at the exhaust today, I'm not sure its quite right. I may move the rear sets forward an inch or two, so the exhaust can be modified to raise the lowest part. Its annoying me the way it is now, though I may change my mind, depends how much ground clearance they give as they are now.

Standard pushrod tubes were in the first parts order I made.. I'll fit them when the dry build is finished, when the heads and barrels come off for painting.

Edit to add that the top motor mount is finally done, this is the mark 3 version. Mounted the single fire coil to it too, its a bit close to the engine, but mounting it higher would've put it out of the air flow.. swings and roundabouts.. I went for the lower position as it was easier to do..

post images

how to screenshot on windows

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:28 PM
Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #55
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Wow...what a beautiful build. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the rest of the build.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #56
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I refitted the rear brake, having got the bracket back. I'd lent it out to be used as template. Spent a long time looking at the exhaust, pity but its not quite right yet. The down tubes and megas need to be higher, for more ground clearance, to clear the rear spindle and to look better. I also noticed that the bracket of the rear sets were flexing under my weight (I'm not that heavy !), which was amplified by the megas. They'd probably be ok, but since I wanted to move the pegs forward for comfort (they are along way back) and to give more room to raise the exhaust, I decided to make new brackets and modify the exhaust too. The red lines show what needs to be done, hopefully by the end of this week..

image url

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:37 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #57
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I made a couple of temporary mounting plates for the rear sets, with a few holes so I could play around with the peg position. That done, the down pipes had to be cut up and remade to get the megas positioned just how I wanted, and gain more ground clearance etc.

image sharing sites

I took the headers back to Geoff the welder, who also added a couple of hooks, so I could use exhaust springs, as I don't trust the way Harley clamp the pipes to the head, going for a belt and braces approach.

20mb image hosting

An action pic of Geoff welding my pipes..

upload gif

I asked about his old work bench, he did his apprenticeship on it, in a local brewery. When it closed, it came with him. BTW that old brewery had been there since the 1740s.

upload an image

Next job is to make new brackets for the rear sets, fabricate a recess in the stainless seat under tray to allow a Ballistic Lithium battery to fit, find a pair of hydraulic brake and clutch levers.... may even be finished by Spring..

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:46 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Damn! That's looking so good! Love the updates.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #59
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Sorry for late subscription.
Great job!

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #60
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Beautiful build!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the airfilter. Would love to see you design your own.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote