Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #61
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Do you have any pix of your bike straight from the side?
I have the feeling that the level of the seat, the gas tank not really match together... Well, don't know how to say... but I think it would be better if the seat and the tank being on the same level, or they all slop with the same degree.

The below sketch showing what I wanna say. The first set-up seems better (IMO), both seat and tank are same level, and they could either horizontal or slop to the same side with same degree.
The second set-up I think it looks like yours currently.
Just my two cents.

Btw, my CX650 had the same issue with it original chassis. However I had it chopped of, the rear side of chassis, so I can make the bike pretty much horizontal.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #62
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
The tank does slope slightly, its bottom edge following the top frame rail. The seat angle depends on how its positioned on the frame. The further back, the flatter it sits, it needs to be close to the tank. Its just sitting on the frame for now, I need to add some kind of foam on the seat underside to protect the frame paint. That will raise the front of seat the slightly which will level it. Though the slight angle it has at the moment doesn't bother me at all.

Got the seat under tray modified today, I need a real Ballistic battery now, the cardboard version is a few mm larger than the real one..

As for designing an air filter, any suggestions will be welcome..
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 06:23 AM
Bevelheadmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #63
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelheadmhr View Post
there are lots of small jobs to do, like losing some weight.. a whole 6 grams per sprocket bolt from machining the bolt heads

This is one of my favorite parts of your build. I'm in the bicycle industry where every gram counts, so nice to see such attention to detail. So many bikes out there with the cool parts but shitty hardware attaching it.
Well done

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #64
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like bicycles too, got an old Orange P7 and a Carbon Scott MTB. This year I bought my first road bike in 25 years, a Sensa, so much faster than a MTB. Clocked up around 5000km over the summer, probably further than I rode my bikes.

One of the targets for the build is to lose 100lbs compared to standard XL1000, that is 528lbs down to 428. I've weighed everything that came off the bike and everything that went on. I have cheated a little because the bike wont be having pillion footpegs for example, which helps a lot.

Here are some examples of old Vs new part weights (in lbs)

OLD NEW
Frame/SA 53 34
Front wheel/tyre/discs 31 29
rear " " " 38.5 30.1
rear fendor/seat 10.5 2.7
oil tank 7 2.3
tank 7.5 6.5
front fender 3 0 (not having one yet)
footpegs/controls/mounts 16 2.9 !
rear brake caliper/mount 5.7 2.3
Forks/yokes/calipers 36 31
Rear shocks 8.4 7
Bars / risers / grips 5.5 1.8

that's approx. 73lbs lost so far.

And today with the arrival of my new Ballistic battery, its lost another 11lbs, compared to the equivalent Yuasa YTX20BS (13.9lbs Vs 2.7lbs)
or 1.2kg

Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 06:25 AM
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #65
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And now for a slight diversion... I mentioned my mate Tim a couple of times, he is Ex Army engineer (REME), owns my local bike shop. They don't sell bikes, just work on them and have a Dyno too. I spend far too much and money there lol..

A while ago, he asked me to find a bike for a project he wanted to do for himself. They work mostly on Jap and Italian sports bikes, while Tim has a newish tarted up KTM, so I was surprised when he asked me to find him a Harley 883...

Tim told me it would be a budget build, just a bit of fun, to be worked on over the winter when work wasn't so busy.. we'll see I thought..

Well, that didn't last long, soon USD forks from a GSXR1000K5 turned up, followed by progressive shocks and an alloy swing arm.. front wheel from a KTM, rear a HD hub, laced with a matching alloy rim, different tank, cut down rear guard, etc etc..

screen capture windows

imageupload

The Stainless bends we got to make both our exhaust downpipes.. should be enough..

pic upload

This is the start of a new oil tank to live in front of the engine, between the frame down pipes. Made by Geoff the welder, who also welded my pipes for me. The engine is to have a big bore kit, cams, and buell heads too I think.

image hosting

Finally this is Tim's KTM, its had quite a few mods..

image sharing

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 04:45 AM
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #66
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Making slow progress, lots of small jobs done, hopefully in early January I'll be able to dismantle the bike and take the frame to be powder coated, then it'll be time for final assembly.

Finally got around to taking off the heads, as I wanted to replace the pushrod covers and paint the heads. I hate opening up an engine that runs ok, turns out for good reason. It was all going to plan, when I hit a problem. The new lower push rod covers wouldn't fit over the old (none standard) inner cover. This was a surprise, as I'd assumed even aftermarket inners would be the same, since they cant be seen. But no. This stopped the work dead in its tracks. I've ordered new inner pushrod tubes, which have to come from Zodiac in Holland,which arrived a couple of days later. I also ordered new head bolts and rocker shaft nuts, cant believe how expensive UNC/UNF fasteners have become.. more than twice the price of metric.

upload pic

The paint was taking its time to cure, so helped it along with 30 mins at 80c..

photo upload

Got this stainless starter button, think I'll fit it here, on the top motor mount, I may be able to fit the horn button there too, which will keep the wiring out of sight..

20mb image hosting

Bought these second hand controls from a Honda VTR SP2, the pots are a little big, so want to change them, just need a pivot bolt as I had to buy a brake new lever. I wanted to use Brembos, but they were three times the price, even for rough ones with no levers and pots, but these will do for now.

Made the new rearset mounting plates, still need to polish them and make new brackets for the silencers..

host image

screen capture tool

The clutch slave master cylinder we made needed a strap wrench to tighten it, so I had Jeff machine it to take a 30mm socket. The one off hydraulic clutch is the one item I'm concerned about.. will it work? Will the ratios be ok? .. only one way to find out..

adult photo sharing

Starter button fitted..

image hosting 30 mb

Next task is to make an oil filter mount, to go behind the gearbox, and finish the front tank strap 'buckle' I'm making.. Also the billet I ordered (Couldn't find a suitable piece to liberate from Jeff's stash) has arrived, to make an air filter / velocity stack.

Oil filter mount to go under the swingarm..

upload pics

Front tank strap 'buckle', need a couple of dome head or maybe counter suck bolts to replace these socket heads..

image sharing sites

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 04:09 AM
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #67
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Before I took the bike apart to get the frame powder coated, I moved it into my garage and weighed it, including the battery and chain, but with no oil or fuel, it weighed Front wheel = 185lbs, rear = 202lbs, total 387lbs

4 litres of oil weighs 3.7kg or 8lbs (I checked), while half a tank of fuel will be around 20lbs... gives 415lbs ready to ride. I was aiming for 420lbs, so happy with that.

Here's a pic, still a few things to make, but they can be done during the final build

Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 06:29 AM
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #68
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelheadmhr View Post

I've always wanted to build something like this... nice job.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #69
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,901
Wow wow wow! That soooo nice! That rear calliper bracket would probably get you below 350!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #70
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Absolutely beautiful
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #71
boxertricks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
A Cafe racer worthy of the name, it reminds me of the Lance Weil race bike from the 60s.
boxertricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #72
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,227
Nice bike. Well done.

What kind of throttle housing is that?

KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
"Yoicks, and away!" - Daffy Duck
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #73
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post
Nice bike. Well done.

What kind of throttle housing is that?

Tommaselli
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #74
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I collect the frame from the powder coaters tomorrow, in the mean time I've been busy polishing all the alloy parts and making a few more bits and bobs..

A new velocity stack, I'll use it until I can find an air filter that look right for the bike..

Starting with some alloy, the original S&S velocity stack (too long) on the left

url=http://postimage.org/][/url]
upload pictures online
Making a start

picture upload
All done

adult picture hosting

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 04:17 PM
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #75
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Making a points cover. I already had one from a Big Twin Evo to copy, they are the same except the mounting holes are vertical on an XL and Horizontal on a BT (no idea why). I hacked out a rough shape from a scrap piece of alloy plate, a little thicker than the original, as I wanted to have ago at engraving it. Then drilled and counter sunk the holes before clamping it in the lathe and turning it down to the right size..

screengrab

Machining the face

pic host

May try to engrave it, not sure with what or how .. maybe use a punch?

greenshot

Bevelheadmhr screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 04:21 PM