Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Biddy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Luggage system for KLR650e

Hi everybody,

I'm a dutch girl and I bought a Kawasaki KLR 650e in Anchorage for my trip from Anchorage to Orlando (8 months or more, starting in June) and I'm currently trying to work out which luggage system suits my situation best.

I'm looking for hard cases (side and top) that can handle light off roads and are easy to (dis)mount as I intend to unload the panniers a lot (I only want to ride with the panniers as I'm moving from one hostel to another and than leave the bags in the hostel while exploring the area). And it seems a lot better if you can pack the bags as regular suitcase and not only from the top.

So far I looked at Pelican cases, Trax Evo, Micatech and Happy trails. Has anyone have some advice for me? Especially regarding the price, because it all seems pretty expensive......

Thanks!

Annemieke
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I had the Happy trails SU racks on my klr and really liked them. Very sturdy. Had Pelican 1550's mounted on them and loved them. Indestructible, waterproof and easily removable using the HT mounting pucks. Highly recommend them. Only thing i do differently then most is that i mount them with the lid to the bike so that when i open them, the box opens down. Makes them much easier to load. I liked the Pelicans so much i moved them to my Dakar.

For a top case i never found (or really looked all that hard) for a quick release mount, i just had a Pelican 1520 bolted directly to the stock tail rack.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm a dutch girl and I bought a Kawasaki KLR 650e in Anchorage for my trip from Anchorage to Orlando (8 months or more, starting in June) and I'm currently trying to work out which luggage system suits my situation best.

I'm looking for hard cases (side and top) that can handle light off roads and are easy to (dis)mount as I intend to unload the panniers a lot (I only want to ride with the panniers as I'm moving from one hostel to another and than leave the bags in the hostel while exploring the area). And it seems a lot better if you can pack the bags as regular suitcase and not only from the top.

So far I looked at Pelican cases, Trax Evo, Micatech and Happy trails. Has anyone have some advice for me? Especially regarding the price, because it all seems pretty expensive......

Thanks!

Annemieke
Have you considered Givi's ? They will work on HT racks or Givi racks. Tough and very water tight. They open like suitcases not from the top. Come in many sizes and all mount on the same brackets so you can put a top box on the side or vice-versa.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I really like the Happy Trail stuff, but about anything will work for light packing.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

Annemieke
Dag Annemieke,

I like the following Pelican setup from Twisted Throttle. All 3 cases have a quicke release.

Link

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
Here ya go.

Real deal Pelican Hardigg Storm cases, Mil-spec, $116 each with FREE shipping.

You dont want or need the foam interior, that is what helps keep the cost down.

You can get them in different colors if you ask em.

B & H Camera
Pelican Hardigg Storm Cases IM2600

These the perfect fit on a KLR - if you run Motech racks you end up three feet across the back exactly, about the same as your handlebar ends.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Klr

Racks from Ebay, built by a guy in Canada <$200. HPRC cases from Amazon, <$200.

[IMG] photo 2012-09-09_12-13-28_108.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 2012-09-09_12-13-47_99.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 2012-09-09_12-13-42_39.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 2012-09-09_12-12-41_314.jpg[/IMG]
beechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Biddy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank you!

All the advises help me a lot, thanks! It's good to see there more KLR650e's out there with side cases and a top case!

I'll probably go for the Pelican side cases as some of you mentioned and I might try to find a top case (with more depth volume) from a different brand second hand, either here in Holland or in Alaska.

Annemieke
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote