User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Ron Bernert OP
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 189
Fantic 305?

Remarkably little information on this trials bike. I have a friend who is selling one, in great condition with new piston, rings and a fresh carb rebuild. I've been really fighting the urge to buy it for about a year. It's in really nice shape, always well maintained and has a European style 'street' kit installed (lights, etc)
Cheap. Really cheap. Like in the mid-hundreds kind of cheap.

Talk me into/ out of this thing.. The other bike on the table (for more money) is a plunger (early) framed Triumph Tiger Cub, with a later engine, which is an improvement..

What say you?

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Ron, I would give it a try if it's not for you I'll take it off your hands. I have a friend that has had one for many years, although he mostly rides his modern Gas Gas. Kirby
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Ron Bernert OP
hiding in plain sight

Thanks, Kirby. I guess my only hangup on this bike is the parts availability. I've been thinking about this thing for a while (as you know), and want a trials bike. I'm just too much of a cheap fart to buy something and not like trials... Then I'm stuck with a bike that I won't use. Now that I know that you'll trade me even-up for your Guzzi, I'll probably try to pick it up in the next few weeks.

Are you going to Burkesville with us this year?

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

No trade, but I'll give you what you paid for it. Burkesville sounds good. Had a great time last year.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Mike at the Tryals Shop in Ny has a lot of Fantic parts. I almost bougt a 1990 305 before I got the Gas Gas. He has too many parts to list even. They aren't on the site you have to call or email him.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
Thanks, Kirby. I guess my only hangup on this bike is the parts availability. I've been thinking about this thing for a while (as you know), and want a trials bike. I'm just too much of a cheap fart to buy something and not like trials... Then I'm stuck with a bike that I won't use. Now that I know that you'll trade me even-up for your Guzzi, I'll probably try to pick it up in the next few weeks.

Are you going to Burkesville with us this year?
There are (IMHO) a few ways to get a bike and enjoy (or not) trials with, and get most of your money back... Here are 3 very broad ways...

1 "Uber Cheapy" find your own "O.J." and dick around modifying it for months, all with the result of it to be "non competitive" against anything but someone else's "like" bike. Reflex is kind of uniquely in the realm, because honda re-uses parts off other bikes to make other bikes, so lots of these parts are available because they were used on 40 of the 50 models they sell, except the few things (battery box lid) that they never used on any other bike, ever. This is also why rebuilding trail 50's and 70's and 90's are not so bad, I bought an air cleaner for a 69 trail 70, without any trouble from "Honda of Salina" it just isnt that big of a city, they've been around a long time though.

2 "reasonable" private party sale: You buy a 04 or newer bike that is still somewhat competitive (gasgas is I know) and give it a try. IF you didn't get suckered on the deal, and obviously don't launch it off a cliff, you usually can get at or close to your investment back (never usually + the shipping you add to the price in your head, that is an expense for living too far away), because others will be looking for this bike or one like it, to get started, if they even think they might be enjoy it and want to be competitive. As I have posted in the past, I paid $400 for a nice bowlingball like other hot shoes were buying in the 90's, never even got an offer above $100 for it when I tried to sell it after 6 months, Only some Pool Cues keep any values if used, so just about anything you buy goes down in value just because it is used...

3) (ORPHANS) not sure what to call this class, but to me it is the "rare find" that parts are so hard to find, that the bike seems cheap. and it is, because everyone knows you don't dare ride anything like that, without some easy to find spare parts... nothing harder to "pass on" to somone else is that meticulously rebuilt trials bike, that nobody can find a "clutch cable" or rear brake pads, anymore. That is when Jay Leno has a guy that can "re-manufacture" parts for those old Bugatti's he's been collecting... Unless you make 1 million a night, I doubt you can afford this in a trials bike, that isnt worth a million when it is all "perfectly as new"

That above is just describing major ones. even #3 could be a lot of fun, if you are NOT one that gets frustrated and gives up easily. you can probably turn over enough rocks to have enough parts, that even if the bike is lost in a fire, you wont be out a crapload of money, like you might be if you paid the almost $7 Thousand for all new machine?

The trick is to balance risk of $$ and enjoyment with competitive-ity?, I am sure you thought about all that. I just can't explain clearly enough as to why a 90's trials bike, just isn't worth much. That is because the "twinshock" classic (ARHMA & ITSA) really doesn't seperate 90's machines from my 2013 Raga Pro. ITSA at least I think will separate 2 shockers of any year from monoshocks for compeition. I have a pair of Fantic 240's, 2 TL 125's, 2 Suzuki RL250's about 6 Yamaha Trials bikes from 74-79, 2 Reflux's and 4 modern trials bikes (92 jt25, 2010, 11,12 Raga Pros.) We rode exclusively saturday AM with Larry Dawg, on the old bikes, for almost 3 hours, I worked my butt off 3x as hard, and did less than half what I can do on the '11 Raga...

Just sayin. That Fantic isnt probably as much as an orphan as it could be.

Sting32 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:42 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Most parts you are likely to need for a 305 can still be found, if you are prepared to buy from Europe. However piston wear can be a problem, but no worries if thats been sorted on the bike you are looking at. Probably the most competitive of the air cooled mono's, and the only one with cartridge type front forks.

With a good rider a 305 is good enough to compete against modern bikes, and as build quality is better than most current bikes, if the one you are looking at is nice condition, then it will be reliable and if price is low far better value than a more modern bike, which isnt as well made.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
That is because the "twinshock" classic (ARHMA & ITSA) really doesn't seperate 90's machines from my 2013 Raga Pro. ITSA at least I think will separate 2 shockers of any year from monoshocks for compeition. Just sayin. That Fantic isnt probably as much as an orphan as it could be.
New this year ITSA has added a Aircooled Mono Class, as a points paying class. This is to try and get some of the early Beta, Fanic & Yamaha monos out of the barn and back into compeition.

I have seen some aircooled mono's converted to twinshocks to be able to ride twinshock classes and its a shame.

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Bearing in mind the fact it can cost more than the price paid for an air cooled mono, to rebuild worn out back suspension, the fact that converting to twin-shock costs a lot less and means bike can then be ridden in ITSA twin-shock events, is well worth considering.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Bearing in mind the fact it can cost more than the price paid for an air cooled mono, to rebuild worn out back suspension, the fact that converting to twin-shock costs a lot less and means bike can then be ridden in ITSA twin-shock events, is well worth considering.
What the bloody 'ell are you talking about, rebuilding rear suspension? all bearings for the gasgas, are only like 100 bucks (and ship), comes with EVERYTHING you need including the SHIMS for the dogbones. I've had my SACHs shocks rebuilt, even ones that were "non rebuildable" for $200 $250 depending on wear item parts.

When you are done, there are (at this time IMHO) more people per capita in the USA riding and looking for a modern trials bike, than there are guys wishing they had the "old twishock they once owned back in those old days" so kind of chances to sell a decent example of either bike, seem to me 2:1 Id sell my modern before you sell that 2 shocker, and probably lose less money, especially after you buy all those custom parts (or make them).
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Proof of this:

Lets say, Larry Dawg would like to sell his Honda TL250, how much you give him?

Here's some pictures:

Here's larrys thread with pictures,
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869796
or below just the website hosting them

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/La...%20toys?page=1

or Single shot.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_0704.jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Ron Bernert OP
hiding in plain sight

Bought it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
Ron, I would give it a try if it's not for you I'll take it off your hands. I have a friend that has had one for many years, although he mostly rides his modern Gas Gas. Kirby
Kirby, your friend with the GasGas doesn't have a Fantic anymore......

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
Kirby, your friend with the GasGas doesn't have a Fantic anymore......

Congrats! We need pictures .
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Ron, Small world indeed. Congratulations on the new ride.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 622
Congratulations on the new ride! So wheres the prof?
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote