Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Dave OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,769
Couldn't happen again if I tried

Did a search, didn't get any results here. So:

Crap that happens to you, while you're trying to fix/do something that is amazingly improbable:

Today: Got the bag of zip ties, took a couple out. Went to toss the bag back in the top of the tool chest. Three feet way, maybe? The corner of the bag of ties goes in the little gap between two drawers and sticks there. Bag droops down emptying a bajillion ties all over the floor. Then bag falls to the floor.

What cha got?
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
A dorm resident down the hall from me was sitting in his car on a lovely March afternoon. Snow was perfect for snowballs. His window was down a couple of inches...how to get the snowball in there?

I lobbed it in a beautiful high arc. It hit the roof of the car next to him and shattered - nearly all of the snowball went through his window. He nearly dented the roof of his car .
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,074
Working 3rd shift in a QuikTrip in early '84 I made a cash drop in the safe. The envelope bounced just right and closed the exposed contacts on the back of the keyswitch that opened the bottom of the safe (something that only the armored car company had the key for). I looked briefly at a weekend's worth of drops, knowing that if I left all of mine in there from that night that I'd have plausible deniability, but a few thousand dollars wasn't worth a lifetime of guilt, so I unwedged the envelope, closed the door, and pressed the DOOR button to relock it.

Hopefully Tidel Systems has since corrected the design flaw and now includes a shroud over the contacts.

troidus screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 06:45 AM
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,282
Young, dumb, and rear wheel drive

blasting through the empty parking lot of the ski area I grew up at, thought it'd be fun to throw the car sideways for a bit and come to a dramatic stop outside the snowboard shop where my buddies were waiting to head out for a day at another area.

The car went sideways easily enough, but damn sure wasn't slowing down at all - it was an ice covered lot - and the only two other vehicles in the lot were directly in my path. The ski school director's truck, then a small empty space, then a track hoe

Unlocked the parking brake, straightened the car out, and stuffed it into the snow bank between the truck and hoe, with about 4" of clearance on either side

The boys were howling with laughter. Fortunately they had the grace to push me back out of the snowbank. Never told the ski school director why there was a 1977 celica hood imprint in the bank next to his rig...

Note: grills that are filled with snow don't cool an engine very well ("why the fuck is my car overheating???")
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 444
Golf practice when I was in high school freshmen year... very dumb. Standing out in front of the club house after they closed waiting for a ride, a buddy of mine and I were teeing up random balls and cranking them out into random fairways with our drivers. My turn... I teed mine up about ten feet behing a concrete fountain. The fountain wall was only about a foot tall so I thought I would easily clear it.Directly behind me was the brand new club house with a 40x25 foot window, just installed and probably costing in excess of $10k. I hit my drive and of course it catches the fountain wall and shoots straight back ot the window. The golf ball hit a wood support timber that was running horizontally right across the middle of the window. It was maybe 3" wide and the ball left a mark right in the middle of it. 2" either way up or down and my life would have been over. My balls didnt drop back out of my stomach for almost a month after that.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,487
Tossed a 11/16" crows foot socket from the top of a helicopter about 15 ft high to the open tool box on the floor. It landed perfectly in it's foam cutout spot.

That and a hole in one....

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,203
Zipping along on I-696 in a rainstorm, on bald tires, in my '84 Marquis II wagon. ("The Tijuana Taxi") Had three buddies with me, destination unknown. 696 is a "sunken" highway in this particular area. As we were rounding a sweeper, i started hydroplaning, skimmed onto the shoulder and up onto the grass embankment. Rode the embankment like it was a berm until I scrubbed enough speed to get back onto the roadway and continue on our journey.

I never once felt out of control. Everyone else was white as a ghost and traffic about stopped behind me.

I really wish I had video of that. I laughed my ass off, nobody else thought it was the least bit funny.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Snowy winter day and driving my 65 Mustang to highschool (289V8, 4bbl and rear-wheel drive makes for interesting winter driving). The parking lot was mostly empty with two cars parked at the front of the lot, with an empty space between them. About a foot of snow on the ground. Front of the lot was slightly downhill from the entrance. There was another bunch of kids doing donuts as I pulled in. They stopped and I decided to have a bit of fun. Stomped the pedal and the Mustang began fishtailing, throwing up a huge rooster-tail of snow, and headed toward the two parked cars. I don't know how I did it, but I counter-steered and planted the Mustang perfectly between the two parked cars. Got out, walked into school and left the other kids with their mouths hanging open.

A few years later while in college... winter evening and I was coming home from a friend's house. The snowmelt from the day had frozen so the roads were pretty slick. I was driving my 1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup in 4-wheel drive. I was slowly coming up to a red light, left turn lane. Car in front of me. Despite my slow speed, I began sliding and was going to rear-end the car. I quickly dropped the truck into Reverse and popped the clutch. The Toy felt like it "stood up" and I stopped like I had hit the brakes, inches from the bumper of the other car.

azcycle screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 01:23 PM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Back in the 70s the local UofW hotspot was a place called Dante's (still there) that was hottest on Thursday dollar pitcher night. Around midnight a buddy of mine and I light up a joint back in the pool table area. Older (than college age) dude narcs on us to the bouncer and gets us booted. Not a big deal.

Several weeks later, the same buddy and I go there on a Sunday afternoon to watch football and shoot pool. I line up for the break for our second game. The narc dude is sitting off to the corner in a director's chair watching us shoot pool. I line up for a big break, get the tip a little under the ball. The cue ball hits the first ball and goes zinging off of the table in a line drive. Lands right in the narc's nuts.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 226
When we were boys my brother and I were seeing who could throw an arrow the farthest. We were very far from anything that could be harmed. For probably 15 minutes we took turns throwing this arrow and pacing off the distance.

My dad's new truck was in the driveway a long way away. Well out of the way we thought, as we weren't able to throw it anywhere near far enough to reach the driveway. It was my turn so I wound up and gave it everything I had. Suddenly there was a freak wind gust that pushed the arrow much farther than all previous throws. We both froze when we saw the arrow sticking out of his hood

My dad heard the sound from the garage and proceeded to chase me around the house.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
The story about pool reminded me about a game of pool I played once.

Back in my early twenties I went to the bars a lot and liked to play pool. I was ok but far from good. These were the type of tables that would have 10 teams waiting in line to play, sometimes it would take a couple hours to get on the table. The entire table was surrounded by 100+ people, crowded would be an understatement.

My buddy and I were finally up. We were playing against a couple other guys who have won the last few rounds.

They broke and maybe sunk one ball.

I was up. I proceeded to sink ball after ball, bank shots, two ball shots, etc... sunk every ball one of our balls on the table, including the 8 ball.

My buddy and the other guy playing never got a chance to play.

I was on top of the world.

We lost the next game. I might have sunk 2 balls in the next game.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Working on a frame table building a bicycle sidecar, I dropped a 3/8 washer, it bounced off the table and rolled into one end of a piece of 3/4 inch tubing laying on the floor, and out the other end. The tubing was 10 feet long.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,846
Was standing on a riverbank with a few friends. It was covered with huge rip-rap rocks the size of freezers. One friend decided to go down the water. He was jumping from rock to rock in a zig-zag pattern.

The other friend kicks a small rock down the hill too. It bounces down the rip-rap, zig-zagging back and forth. The friend is zig-zagging, the rock is gaining on him. It goes directly for him, then zigs away, then he reverses and the rock reverses. It's maybe 300 ft down the hill when they meet. The rock lands on a big rip-rap just as the friend jumps on the same rip-rap and his heel lands on the small rock tripping him up. He thought is was a simple trip-up, not a karmic meeting.

We were still on our backs laughing when he came back 20 minutes later.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,282
Do you want a rope?

Hiking off trail with a buddy above the alpine zone. Climbing a couloir (a gash in a cliff band through which one might be able to ascend to the top of the band), and there was old snowpack on pretty much the whole ascent so just kicking the boots into the pack made pretty effective stairs to climb up - until we got to a small cliff that had radiated enough heat from the sunlight to melt away the snow for a few feet from its face.

Bill, with the extra 6" of height he has on me, was able to climb his way up to the next pitch, which had no snow on it but did have plenty of loose rock to slide down onto my position at the top of the snowpack. Before moving on to a less exposed place, and one from which he wouldn't be likely to drop rocks my way, he offered to toss me the end of a rope to help me with navigating the cliff band. "Nah, I can get it..."

It took me a few minutes more than he did, and it demanded the use of my chin (yes, my lower jaw) in securing my position as I climbed. Knowing that there was nowhere to go but up cuz he was damn sure not going to come down I did it.

It was worth the climb. Here's Bill at the top:

Next time I'll accept the rope.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,847
High School maybe 1981? driving my 67 VW Bus to school with maybe 4 friends in it. Got cut off by another driver. Got in front of that car then had to turn left.... I was now going to fast for the sports car like handling of said bus.
Made the turn, but put the bus up on two wheels. (way up) Got the balance point and drove maybe a block on two wheels. Once up, it was easy to drive that way. Pretty sure I couldn't do it again. Folks in the bus were mostly pale and I was fine.