User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
RTW the Easy Way - Part 2 - Final Chapter

After a winter of countless doctor's appointments, various biopsies, treatments, and a recent surgery, it sure is good to be on the road again. Even better I'm now in a country where I understand the currency and the language, and every truck stop has everything I could possibly want. OK, here I go, make'n memories!

This is Stage II, a ride across the USA to complete my round the world trip. Stage I, London to Magadan is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978907

An excellent short summary is here, in the local newspaper: http://www.centredaily.com/2015/04/0...bert.html?rh=1

Ironically, my flight to Seattle to retrieve my DR650 is exactly 1 year from the date I flew to London to begin the journey. I didn't even realize that. Wifie pointed it out.

Well OK, the ride hasn't started yet. I got the bike out of storage in Seattle today, but some things need attention. The choke (enricher) cable is frozen.

photo IMG_0051.jpg

me w/ bike apart photo IMG_0055.jpg

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-14-2015 at 11:47 PM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Thoughts on the trip so far

Regarding Stage I, I made a huge mistake in going with a tour company. Not because the company did anything wrong, but I did not remain true to my goals, London ---> Moscow ---> Magadan, and cross the USA to go once around the world. I was not trying to zig zag around the globe and visit multiple countries and cultures, but to circumnavigate the world and spend most of the time in Russia. However, I did not want to do it alone and none of my adventure riding buddies whom I've ridden with in Mexico, parts of South America, Alaska, and the Continental Divide Trail wanted to go, so I signed up with a commercial group. I had plenty of information at my fingertips, schedules, ride itinerary I didn't exactly like, etc., but I still chose to go with the group. The most recent way this has come back to bite me, is the bike got back to the west coast so late I couldn't finish the trip in 2014, and I had to put it in storage in Seattle. If I'd have been on my own itinerary, I'd have been in Magadan two months sooner.

I'm sharing this to encourage anyone considering such an adventure to seriously think about what it is you want to do, and stick to it.

But wait, going with said group was not all bad. Consider this too.

- Accommodations were no worry. I never had to find a place to stay. Even if several nights in a row were to be in a tent, I knew that was because no suitable room was to be had.

- The sag truck was there to relieve anyone sick or injured. The personnel provided mechanical assistance too.

- MOST INPORTANT. I had an educated ride. On my own I would have avoided cities and missed their museums and a valuable education in history. First that come to mind are:

The WWII battle of Volgograd/Stalingrad. All of Russia and maybe the USA would be speaking German if it weren't for over 1 million Russians who died there.

Genghis Kahn museums in Ulaanbaatar. He ruled a greater land mass than any country to date, but has a very bloody history. Weaponry was cunningly efficient.

Istanbul. Crossroads of the world. The city is everything my non-moto friends told me.

There were many more.

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-14-2015 at 11:54 PM
Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Room Security

That is, the bike is secure in the room.

photo IMG_0058.jpg

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #4
Muncle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
You have your route? Are you planning on visiting Mt. St. Helens?
You will have a few nice no rain days this weekend. If you would like to make contact in local area, please let me know.
Enjoy your adventure.
Muncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Glad to see you getting ready to roll again! Best of luck!
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
maurerw
Two Up Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
One of his 2014 ROB riding buddies

So glad you are doing well and riding back from Seattle, WA to PA. My wife and I were of course one of your riding buddies on that trip last year from London to Magadan. And you and I became very close as fellow riders on that trip. The time spent by you in posting all the videos in a timely and consistent basis cannot be overestimated. Every night you did hours of work to collate, edit, and post the excellent videos and pictures you took. All that rode on that trip owe you a sincere thank you.

Travel safely across the USA and of course we have a place for you to work on your bike, a dry bed, and good food for you if you travel thru Cleveland, Ohio.

"I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of saying "I wish I did that"

"Traveling by car is like watching a movie. Traveling by motorcycle is like being in one"

Walt and Pam Maurer
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,499
Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerw View Post
So glad you are doing well and riding back from Seattle, WA to PA. My wife and I were of course one of your riding buddies on that trip last year from London to Magadan. And you and I became very close as fellow riders on that trip. The time spent by you in posting all the videos in a timely and consistent basis cannot be overestimated. Every night you did hours of work to collate, edit, and post the excellent videos and pictures you took. All that rode on that trip owe you a sincere thank you.

Travel safely across the USA and of course we have a place for you to work on your bike, a dry bed, and good food for you if you travel thru Cleveland, Ohio.

"I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of saying "I wish I did that"

"Traveling by car is like watching a movie. Traveling by motorcycle is like being in one"

Walt and Pam Maurer
Har! Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
You have your route? Are you planning on visiting Mt. St. Helens?
You will have a few nice no rain days this weekend. If you would like to make contact in local area, please let me know.
Enjoy your adventure.
Thanks but I'm already past that point. This ride across the USA is not going to be as I'd imagined, a leisurely trip visiting many National Parks and doing some off-road high mountain passes. Those passes won't be clear of snow till late June, maybe July.
Circumstances dictate a rushed trip. A seriously ill family member, contractor's about to start work on our house, and weekend dual sport events in PA I'd like to do in June push me to finish the trip. It's not nice to leave the wife to take care of all that's going on at home, including cutting the grass, and she works 8 to 10 hours a day.
It's a good time to mention another element that limits my taste for extended adventure travel. I have a very comfortable home life and enjoy the company of my wife who can only take short trips with me due to family and work obligations. I'm retired. She isn't. She'd go on any adventure, but the timing is not good for her.
All that being said, I do plan to visit some interesting places on my trip home. Watch this space.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Satellite Track

Here's the link to my satellite locator. Click on satellite view upper right and zoom in, lower left.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...7tt5dyC33nesRr

Old 05-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1

I dropped south, then east through the Columbia River Gorge.

I knew this, the middle paragraph, that is. Very dramatic to imagine the power and the distance.

photo IMG_0071.jpg

Here's a raw, as in poor, video of the gorge. It's poor largely due to the weather. You can find better on YouTube.

A treat for me was to ride several miles of the old Route 30. To think, this is the same Route 30 that cuts across the middle of Pennsylvania from NYC. Back there it coincides with the Lincoln Highway.

photo IMG_0068.jpg

Twisty windy roads climb a 10% grade from I84 up to Route 30. Too bad the roads were wet. I would have made videos like I did in the Alps, without the snow of course.

Back to the Columbia River Gorge, this is just one of many waterfalls I saw today.

photo IMG_0077.jpg

The parking lots were jammed with cars driving in circles looking for a space. How nice that each lot had special parking just for motos.

photo IMG_0081.jpg

About 100 miles in, the landscape changed dramatically. No more lush forest. Rain shadow?

photo IMG_0085.jpg

Tomorrow it's on to Idaho. I would like to have ridden part of the Tour De Idaho trail, but that's not going to happen.

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-15-2015 at 10:32 PM
Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #12
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Oregon Trail

I traveled a bit of the Oregon Trail today.

photo IMG_0105.jpg

I traveled it mostly by way of I84, which BTW is unusually scenic for an Interstate, not only the Columbia River Gorge, but now this. The only other scenic Interstate I know is I70 between Grand Junction and Denver.

Typical eastern Oregon scenery, including snow fence and cattle fence.

photo IMG_0088.jpg

Agriculture down here, snow up there. Who knew, snow capped peaks in east Oregon!

photo IMG_0099.jpg

The railroad, river, and road all share the same canyon. The river is hiding in the bushes.

photo IMG_0102.jpg

A strange fact. I didn't know that. I'd been seeing that name, Owyhee, all day as names for towns, state parks, roads, etc.

photo IMG_0120.jpg

Old 05-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #13
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

A little adventure travel

I sought out a remote dirt track for a bit of off-road. Researched it before leaving home, by way of an old book I have about 4WD travel on BLM properties. I called the BLM in Oregon and Idaho. Very helpful with info, they are.

Succor Creek Road.

photo IMG_0110.jpg

Short videos.

Sometimes things just work out right. I had the perfect end to a long 400 mile day, including the off-road, in the cowboy town of Glenn's Ferry. I found dinner at the Oregon Trail Café.

photo IMG_0131.jpg

photo IMG_0129.jpg

And I found a bed at the Red Ford Motel, the last room available at the only motel in town, made available by a last minute cancelation.

photo IMG_0134.jpg

Onward to Utah tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Idaho into Utah

Parting shot from Idaho, Malad Gorge, right on I84.

photo IMG_0148.jpg

So it's goodbye to Ida-hee-haw-ho. Rain pretty much all day, had the electric jacket on, low setting, felt so good. Temps every day have been in the 50's, up to 70 by late afternoon.

Fresh snow on the mountains around Salt Lake City.

photo IMG_0151.jpg

This does not predict well for my next destination, Cedar Breaks National Monument, whose elevation is a little higher. That and a weather forecast for tomorrow at Cedar Breaks of rain changing to snow. I'm not too sure about some of the roads I was going to take around Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef either.

Add to the weather the fact that 20 miles back up the road the bike sputtered and acted like it wanted to quit, like starving for fuel, for 2 or 3 miles. I alternated between wide open throttle and slamming it shut hoping to suck/push any blockage from the carb, or maybe it was just water from all the rain. It's running fine now, but I'd hate to be exploring off-road in Grand Staircase or Capital Reef and have it die on me. Ah, adventure. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I do have a SPOT with "assistance needed" button.

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-17-2015 at 08:42 PM
Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
poppawheelie OP
Studly Adventurer

Sometimes things just work out wrong

According to the weather forecast, I could reach Cedar Breaks 2 hours before bad weather. This is what I got.

I have a better video to show the conditions, but after hours of trying, it will not load. The motel down here in Panguitch is $30 more than the computer showed last night, and all the restaurants that looked so good on first pass through town are closed, not yet open for the season. The only one I found open didn't look so good. It wasn't.

Oh well, the bike is running fine.

You must look at this, and then you will understand why I want to see Cedar Breaks so bad.

http://www.utah3d.net/utah-travel/so...ar-breaks.html

I wanted to change into hiking clothes and pack a lunch out to this overlook. Ha! Not this trip.

I've been to Zion, Bryce, and the north rim of the Grand Canyon several times, all in this vicinity, but I've missed Grand Staircase Escalante, Capital Reef, and Cedar Breaks on those previous trips. I'm trying to catch them now.

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-19-2015 at 09:10 PM