Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Major effin bummer (happened to me in Baja, but it was my fibula, could limp on it and ride, and I had surgery 10 days after break once back in Canada)....

And just when you thought you were riding again

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
It's so similar events that took us both out with broken legs, just getting too comfortable/distracted with the riding on really easy roads. Still can get jumped up on quickly and really bite you big time and pay for it for months

After my off I was like "Damn I hit pretty hard" and didn't really feel the pain of the broken tib/fib until I tried to get up and it was off to the side flopping. Then there is nothing else to do but take pictures and wait I cussed myself while I waited in the dark in the middle of nowhere Venezuela.

Taking the boot off was the worst, I wanted to just leave it on until they knocked me out for surgery

Looking forward to the rest of the outcome and xrays
Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Very excellent adventure. Admirable stuff. I find it interesting that you were comfortable enough to fall like that. As though the immense complexities that came before reduced this dirt road to the level of a simple trail. One day you are guarding a house with a shotgun and the next you are imploding on a fire road. Life is weird.

Given your level of adventure riding, and given the things you have seen I thought I might suggest some light reading for your convalesence, given the quality of the reading you have given me here on ADVrider.

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Ec.../dp/0452287081

A fascinating explanation for how the world works. My Third World travels have been much enlightened in retrospect by this book.

cheers.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Decided that my smartest move was to sit tight and see if anyone came along. I had a SPOT locator beacon, at this point I hit the 911 emergency button. I bought rescue insurance through SPOT, and I also bought a separate travel emergency health insurance policy which included medical evacuation. I just needed to get to somewhere where I had communications.

After riding 9,000 miles to get to this spot including thousands and thousands of miles of dirt, I couldn't believe I was sitting on this easy, graded road with a broken leg. But so it goes. The surprise is what got me. I should have been riding more conservatively.

After snapping these pics I sat back, shut my eyes, and waited.
Movie script material Pete
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #35
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Subscribed!

Subscribed! Wow!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #36
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 304
Holy S#!t

Casually mingling between the locals with AK47s to take the path less traveled through cartel territory... The worlds biggest balls award goes to you my friend. Get well and good luck! Subscribed
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
It's so similar events that took us both out with broken legs, just getting too comfortable/distracted with the riding on really easy roads. Still can get jumped up on quickly and really bite you big time and pay for it for months

After my off I was like "Damn I hit pretty hard" and didn't really feel the pain of the broken tib/fib until I tried to get up and it was off to the side flopping. Then there is nothing else to do but take pictures and wait I cussed myself while I waited in the dark in the middle of nowhere Venezuela.

Taking the boot off was the worst, I wanted to just leave it on until they knocked me out for surgery

Looking forward to the rest of the outcome and xrays
wow, crazy similar. yeah uggghhh... the boot sucked!!
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post

wow, crazy similar. yeah uggghhh... the boot sucked!!

The face tells a similar story, disgust with a hint of a smile; it could have been worse right

My poor bike, I was sad I couldn't get it off it's top
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Things I remember: staring at the blinking lights on the spot beacon; speculating about how long I could stretch the half-camelback of water I had left; wondering if the first person to come along was more likely to rob or help me; berating myself for being such an idiot to let this happen; staring at the road and trying to discern from the tire tracks how often this road was traveled. It was Friday afternoon and I remember thinking that sat/sun were probably not high traffic days. On the entire ~80 mile ride from Puerto lempira I didn't remember seeing any other vehicles at all.

After about 2 hours I heard the rumble of an engine. I was part excited, part nervous. When it came into sight it was a single guy on a motorcycle loaded with stuff. I started waving my arms. He was spooked and paused maybe 100 ft away. For a second I thought he was going to turn around. Then he came forward slowly and paused again, close enough for me to say "por favour, ayuda me, estoy herido" (please, help, injured). Once he realized I didn't have buddies hiding in the bushes he lightened up. He said he was a school teacher going into PL to get supplies and that he had just passed an army truck full of commandos 20 minutes before. I said "commandos narcos or commandos militar?" He said military.

He waited with me and sure enough 20 minutes later a big army truck full of soldiers came rumbling down the road. It stopped and I was literally surrounded by like 20 Honduran army guys smoking and staring and asking questions in spanish. The comandante spoke some english, enough to say "who are you and what the fuck are you doing on this road??" They said they were on their way back to a base, which was back near the last checkpoint I had passed, and did I want them to take me? Answer: hell yeah!!! Like 8 army dudes shuffled me into the back of the truck and they left three armed soldiers behind to guard the bike. Oh man, things were really starting to look up at this point. I hit the "OK" button on my SPOT to let folks back home know everything was ok.

View from the back of the truck:

Here's where they dropped me off at the base. it was like a concrete area with a cover on it.

They had a medical guy there. no medical facilities (or power for that matter) but he did have some drugs. They shot me up and then got the boot off (which still hurt like a mf) and splinted the leg. With the splint on the pain went down a lot.

They set me up with a cot right outside the comandante's office in a covered outdoor area. Talked to the comandante about options. He said the hospital in Puerto Lempira was a shithole and did not even have an xray. When his soldiers get hurt he flies them to Ahuas, which is a remote town in the middle of la moskitia with no roads. He said it was the best hospital in the area and at least they have an xray, but no orthopedic people on staff. I did not like that idea because ahuas was even more remote, and if something was seriously wrong with my leg I knew I would want to get to a proper city. At this point I was thinking it might be best for me to sort out my own flight from Puerto Lempira into Tegucigalpa and find medical care there.

They had recently gotten a cell phone tower at the base so I was able to communicate with back home. I called my travel insurance company to discuss options and find out what all exactly they would pay for, since there was not really a "cheap" way out of this little mess as far as I could tell. It turns out that part of their service includes planning all the logistics of a medical evacuation, in addition to paying for it. The army base had it's own (gravel) air strip so I gave them my gps coordinates and they started looking into ways to get me out. Unfortunately they said that no planes could fly into la moskitia at night due to all the narco flights. The narco planes are unregistered and unmarked, making the skies very dangerous. So I settled in for a long night.

Next morning I talked to travel insurance again and a big weather system had moved in overnight. No flights for at least 24 hours and maybe more. It was raining hard out. So I was stuck. Had a bottle of Xanax in my own medical kit which, while they didn't help with pain, they did help me chill out and pass the time.

The comandante. this guy is the real f---ing deal. When I finally left the base, I asked if there was anything I could bring him from the states. His answer: "how about a gringa." haha. We had some good chats.

Comandante had a bag of coconuts outside his office and chopped me up one too occasionally.

Some American soldiers had left an MRE which they gave me.

One night the power came on for a few hours!

Check out the weights. They are made out of some kind of machine gear filled with concrete.

Got to see a lot of army life down there. Man these guys work their asses off. All day every day, 40 days on and then 2 weeks off. Weekly fire fights with the narcos.

No broom

At the end of day two on the base it was still raining but the insurance company said they were expecting a break in the weather the next morning.
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #40
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Holly Batman

To you Sir.
Good luck and hope you can get some help soon.
Thanks for sharing your RR.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #41
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906

That expression is a movie in itself

Shock, confusion, fear, regret, pain, .....

It's a whole different world in our heads when shit like this happens...

and being in the heart of Nicaragua's "darkness"...

You were certainly having an "adventure".

Your luck with the military is the best thing that could have happened

As you say, El Jefe was the Real Deal, as were his men

Your ability to hook up with your travel insurance company was your second blessing.....Military grade pain killers and Xanax would take the edge off a katana sword

My hat is off to you, sir, for venturing into that coastline with a bike...it would be challenging enough by foot with a small pack.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #42
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396

My version contains the on-scene recording
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

My version contains the on-scene recording
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #44
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Great RR! Thanks for sharing the good & the bad. Nice snow on here in KY this a.m..
As a political sidenote to your Honduran experience it seems that country & our foreign aid to them is a major news story last few days. USA has been giving many $millions$ to them for "security" through the state dept and the article I read showed the head of the state police who is also known as a past killer of innocents there,etc., and the million dollar question becomes whats the money going for & is he getting it and so on and that the new Sec. of state John Kerry has another new challenge.
Were all waiting to see where you choose/get to heal?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #45
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Subscribed, wow, you have great luck! Good thing the military guys were in the area.