Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,431
Avoiding the Very Big Shiny Motorcycle (VBSM) coming at you.

There are certain roads near Austin, and certain parts of the Hill Country that I now consider to be hazardous to a rider's health until the fall - due to the opening of the riding season for helmet-less riders on very big shiny motorcycles (VBSM). We had an incident yesterday on one of the more popular roads in our area - Hamilton Pool road. Noticing an increased presence of helmet-less riders on VBSMs, that were traveling towards us, we were on guard.
One rider in a group helmet-less beer-breathed riders on a VBSMs lost control of his very big shiny motorcycle in the middle of a downhill turn and skidded across the center-line into the path of my brother who was on his 85 Ninja 900.
My brother braked mid-turn and made a sharp counter-steering move to dodge the VBSM. However, contact was made and the Ninja's handle bar end-weight and foot peg were ripped of his bike and my brother's foot was mashed by the VBSM. My brother is safely home with a rather swollen ankle.
We are extremely thankful that this incident was not worse.
So, be fully protected, keep your bike in top condition, avoid peak hours on risky roads, and practice emergency braking and maneuvering to keep your self safe!

What tips do you have to minimize the risks of riding during the most popular time of your riding season especially in areas prone to VBSM syndrome?
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
What tips do you have to minimize the risks of riding during the most popular time of your riding season especially in areas prone to VBSM syndrome?

The number one safety tip is don't ride in Texas, which
obviously has a lot of idiots in its population ( you did bring us
the Bushes, and that is a gift that keeps on giving, but not in
a good way).

It's a shame the helmetless fool wasn't crushed
under a semi when he lost control of his p3n1$-enhancement
vehicle. That would have been instant justice.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Just my personal observation from around here but right when they start bringing them out is the most dangerous time of all. The 150 miles of skills they developed last season have faded. In a month or two they'll have a good 50 miles under their belts, if they survive it, and will be back at par.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
Probably hasn't checked the air in the tires since he bought it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
The number one safety tip is don't ride in Texas, which
obviously has a lot of idiots in its population ( you did bring us
the Bushes, and that is a gift that keeps on giving, but not in
a good way).

It's a shame the helmetless fool wasn't crushed
under a semi when he lost control of his p3n1$-enhancement
vehicle. That would have been instant justice.

He is in Austin, that's not REALLY Texas. It's lousy with Yankees and Californians trying to escape joblessness and taxation.

You should also wish the helmetless fool's wife and children were crushed under the same semi. Feel better?

RDS, I hope your brother makes a quick recovery.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
There are certain roads near Austin, and certain parts of the Hill Country that I now consider to be hazardous to a rider's health until the fall - due to the opening of the riding season for helmet-less riders on very big shiny motorcycles (VBSM). We had an incident yesterday on one of the more popular roads in our area - Hamilton Pool road. Noticing an increased presence of helmet-less riders on VBSMs, that were traveling towards us, we were on guard.
One rider in a group helmet-less beer-breathed riders on a VBSMs lost control of his very big shiny motorcycle in the middle of a downhill turn and skidded across the center-line into the path of my brother who was on his 85 Ninja 900.
My brother braked mid-turn and made a sharp counter-steering move to dodge the VBSM. However, contact was made and the Ninja's handle bar end-weight and foot peg were ripped of his bike and my brother's foot was mashed by the VBSM. My brother is safely home with a rather swollen ankle.
We are extremely thankful that this incident was not worse.
So, be fully protected, keep your bike in top condition, avoid peak hours on risky roads, and practice emergency braking and maneuvering to keep your self safe!

Ride dirt.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Glad your brother made it through that with a relatively minor injury (versus what it could've been if he hadn't been quick to react).

I don't have many tips other than just try to be attentive, and stay away from popular pirate roads, particularly avoiding likely routes they'll take while bar hopping, etc. Hate to stereotype, but really that seems to fit that demographic pretty well.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
What tips do you have to minimize the risks of riding during
This:

--Bill
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Ride dirt.

Beat me to it.... No VBSM's on the trails

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Guess I kinda have it lucky here. There's not many non-urban/city roads within an hour or so of here, so most of the seasonal, fair weather, low mileage riders on large motorcycles usually just ride them to/from work via the interstate or bar to bar. And off the interstate you're going to be stuck going stoplight to stoplight in traffic anyway. They can usually keep up duck walking to get their motorcycle into position.

I work third shift so by the time I leave for work I rarely see another motorcycle, less than 15 during the past year. When I head home it's an hour or two after rush hour, so that helps minimize exposure to other motorcyclists as well. I get every other week off, so I do my recreational riding on weekdays which helps to minimize traffic in general. It's nice to hit twisty roads with no other vehicles for miles and have the option of doing a mini-tour every other week :P
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Beat me to it.... No VBSM's on the trails
Don't tell this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQ6_p1IE5s

Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Hope your bro makes a speedy and full recovery.

I always try to hit the "hot" spots during the week and avoid them on weekends. Seems to be a lot less douchewafflery when most of them are at work so they can buy more chrome and fringe.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
great video

whats life about

leadwing on the dirt

very cool

great edit

and sound track

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Ride when its dark or raining or below 60 degrees. The big motorcycles you see then will have riders on them .
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:

First, I'm glad your brothers OK, there have been several bike on bike fatalities in the AO. One of them a guy I sold an R65ls to.

Its been alluded to in other posts but the only sure fire way to avoid the pirate crowd is to ride earlier, rather than later in the day.

Its not just the cruisers though, found this on the side of the road about 100 yards west of hamilton pool pointing east. looks like that turn by stagecoach lane snuck up on him.

Seriously though, I ride with a bunch of rapid riding geezers and we KSU around 0730 saturdays now with DST from the stop and drop at 2244 and loop 360.

There are no VBSM or squidly type riders up at that ungodly hour. Problem solved!

Oh yeah, that guy wasn't the first one to get fooled by the sharp corners going over the perdenales

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math

eric2 screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 06:59 AM
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote