Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Have either of you tried having the shield cracked open at speed? It stays open ok?
I haven't tried it at extreme speed, but I've stood up on the pegs at 50-60 mph with the visor cracked and it hasn't budged. The stops are pretty stiff - I think it would take a whole lot of wind to get the face shield to move.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
priced about the same as a arai signet Q.

what's the warranty like for shoei?

FWIW I can get free parts from arai while it's in warranty (5 years +) but I'm sick of the replacing the sidepods.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I haven't tried it at extreme speed, but I've stood up on the pegs at 50-60 mph with the visor cracked and it hasn't budged. The stops are pretty stiff - I think it would take a whole lot of wind to get the face shield to move.
Good to know. I never ride at sustained speeds of much over 75 mph so probably good.
I just watched Revzilla's video. He mentions a "city position" which cracks the shield.
I'm thinking it may be time to retire my 8+ year old RF1000. As a glasses wearer the sun shield would be great. I was considering a Qwest, but may spring for the extra bucks for one of these.

I'll need to figure the sizing out. I notice you had to go up from a medium in past Shoei's to a large. Anthony (I've watched so many RZ vids this winter, he's starting to seem like an old friend) in the Revzilla video says he's consistently a medium in Shoei. I measure right at 23"/58cm. A medium in both my RF200 and RF1000 was perfect. IIRC, I did install thinner cheek pads in the RF1000.

There are only 3 local, i.e. within 50 miles, dealers. I know 2 of them don't have any. I'll have to check out the third.

Thanks for the review and info.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Extreme speed... that's the only time I've had the bike above 100 mph. I was somewhere outside Dodge City and the highway in front of me was wide open, and I could see there were no other vehicles coming (i.e. no LEOs), so I opened her up. Hit 150 pretty quick and thought, that's enough. My FJR had a little bit left in her, but not much.

I'm not riding at extreme speeds very often. Just that once. No, I swear. Really. Stop laughing.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
priced about the same as a arai signet Q.

what's the warranty like for shoei?

FWIW I can get free parts from arai while it's in warranty (5 years +) but I'm sick of the replacing the sidepods.
The Shoei warranty is 5 years from purchase or 7 years from manufacture (whichever comes first).

FWIW - I bought the GT Air for ~$520 for the metallic silver color. The solid (non-metallic colors) were $480 (Black, white, hi-viz yellow). In comparison, the Signet Q was $575. This was at Cycle Gear.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
This helmet is sounding better and better. The webbikeworld review made it sound like its purpose built for my head

Thanks again. I may have found my next helmet
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I have the GT-Air and love it. It's as close to the perfect helmet for me as I could ask for. I've owned a Shoei Hornet and RF-1100 and this simply out-performs either of those by a long mile. Snug fit, super quiet, and the internal visor of second to none, IMO.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #23
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Now this makes me go nuts. I was thinking Caberg Ego should be the one touring helmet thatbfits the bill, but now GT Air is here too. Well, ignore the orice difference, that is.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #24
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
I knew that if I purchased a signet-Q in Oct/Nov that the GT air would hit the US in a few months and be awesome.

You can all thank me later.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I knew that if I purchased a signet-Q in Oct/Nov that the GT air would hit the US in a few months and be awesome.

You can all thank me later.
Thanks ph0rk!

I need to find a GT-Air to try on, as I have a narrow head with a point on the top of my forehead. The Signet-Q is the only lid I can find to replace my aging Profile with that fits me. I'm hoping the GT-Air might work as well, as it's more of what I want in a helmet.

Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
Thanks ph0rk!

I need to find a GT-Air to try on, as I have a narrow head with a point on the top of my forehead. The Signet-Q is the only lid I can find to replace my aging Profile with that fits me. I'm hoping the GT-Air might work as well, as it's more of what I want in a helmet.

Alec
Another Profile user here. If you pick up a GT Air, can you comment on sizing between the two? It looks like you need to go up a size in this helmet, but as much data as possible would be nice!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Another Profile user here. If you pick up a GT Air, can you comment on sizing between the two? It looks like you need to go up a size in this helmet, but as much data as possible would be nice!
As soon as I can, I definitely will!

I need to stop by the dealer for an inspection sticker, but it would help it is would stop snowing... Hopefully they've started stocking the GT-Air already and I can at least try one on.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I currently have a medium RF1000 that has been my favorite helmet so far. How does the GT Air fit compared to it? How about air flow (compared to the RF1000)? When shopping for another helmet, I was disappointed with the fit of the Qwest and RF1100, and went with an Arai RX-Q instead. But even that does not fit me as nice as my old RF1000.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
I currently have a medium RF1000 that has been my favorite helmet so far. How does the GT Air fit compared to it? How about air flow (compared to the RF1000)? When shopping for another helmet, I was disappointed with the fit of the Qwest and RF1100, and went with an Arai RX-Q instead. But even that does not fit me as nice as my old RF1000.
I also use a medium RF1000. What size are you wearing in the RX-Q? This is another one on my short list. I posted above that I measured at 58cm/23", but that was from memory. I just got done remeasuring and I'm at 58.6cm/23.1" This puts me almost exactly between a medium and large for both Shoei and Arai. Do you know your noggin' measurement?

What didn't you like about the Qwest?

Just to throw another one out there, Arai is coming out with a new one called the "Defiant" which looks very interesting.

To remain on topic and not thread hijack, some GT Air stuff: I called around and could not find a medium GT Air to try on. I did find a large at the Cycle Gear store in St. Louis, about 125 miles away. I'm reluctant to drive that far unless I can try on both the medium and large.

Helmets are one thing I'd buy from a local dealer, even at a cost premium, if they stocked them so I could try them on.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #30
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
I also use a medium RF1000. What size are you wearing in the RX-Q? This is another one on my short list. I posted above that I measured at 58cm/23", but that was from memory. I just got done remeasuring and I'm at 58.6cm/23.1" This puts me almost exactly between a medium and large for both Shoei and Arai. Do you know your noggin' measurement?
I wear a Medium RX-Q as well. Sorry, I don't know my head measurement. At least with Arai, you can always get thinner or thicker padding and tailor the helmet interior.

Quote:
What didn't you like about the Qwest?
It just felt "stuffy", their attempt to make it a quiet helmet also resulted in less venting. Also, the 2010 Snell rating required that the shell increased in size - but pretty much all helmets with that rating were affected as well. Compare it closely with your RF1000 helmet and you'll see what I mean. The RF1100 felt like it was more oval and created "hot spots". I really wanted to like it but for the money it just was not comfy.

Quote:
Just to throw another one out there, Arai is coming out with a new one called the "Defiant" which looks very interesting.
Yes - I would very much like to check one of these out! I ride a naked bike and the Defiant is being marketed with features that are tailored for riders of nakeds.

Quote:
To remain on topic and not thread hijack, some GT Air stuff: I called around and could not find a medium GT Air to try on. I did find a large at the Cycle Gear store in St. Louis, about 125 miles away. I'm reluctant to drive that far unless I can try on both the medium and large.

Helmets are one thing I'd buy from a local dealer, even at a cost premium, if they stocked them so I could try them on.
I hear you, but moto dealers in this region of the country are pretty sad when it comes to finding good gear.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote