Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
What year(s) would a guy be smart to consider, I'm not interested in the really old ones, perhaps late 90's on up, EFI huge plus. Not really into the small black bikes either, sorta ruled out a quota or a norge(too much like what I have...sorta).
Are guzzi's reliable, what are the known issues to look for? Do they leak oil and soak clutch plates, final drive issues...
Happy to answer any more technical questions (and most of this well covered) at GuzziTech.com.
In short Mike/Rocker covered the highlights. E.F.I. Guzzi's started in '93 with the California and 1000 Daytona, which lasted up through the '98 EV (all use the automotive based P8 ECU w/EPROM- which is a little finicky). In the States in '99 (grey year as they didn't technically import any models), the MM1.5 ECU was used (and still is on the California Vintage). The MM1.5 is stone reliable. When Aprilia bought Guzzi, they ventured into hydraulic lifters, and even though that technology is decades old, they somehow managed to screw it up. Three iterations/recalls later, and they got it sorted, and in '06/07 the Cal Vin went back to solid lifters. Californias are indeed Tonti race bikes which were rooted in the V7 Sport from the early 70's.
V11 Sports are fun, but a bit twitchy IMO. They only have one known issue, and that's the shift return spring breaks. Cheap and easy to fix thanks to the side trap door transmission. All of the newer models have been super solid outside of a few fiddly recalls (in tank fuel pump lines), and camshaft recalls on a few of the Stelvio and Griso 8V motors. All long behind us now.
If you think you like them, ride one, and you'll never be without one.
All of them will leak a rear main seal in time (usually around 60-70k miles), and it's a job to do (and usually just smart to replace the clutch then too), but it doesn't keep me from owning a fleet of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Some people didn't like it, so a longer (and wider) swingarm was introduced on the 02 Lemans, followed with the 03 Sports, which returned the bikes to the same geometry of the Sport 1100/Daytona. 99-02 Sports run a 4.25 rear wheel. The 02 LeMans and 03 Sports run a 5.50 rear wheel.
The swing-arm was revised in '02 for the wider back wheel. Otherwise they are the same. The only difference between the '00-01 Sport and the '02+ models was they added roughly ~1" to the frame at the head-stock to help with stability. First used on the Le Mans and Scura of that year ('02), it remained the only platform through the '05 variants.

GT-Rx screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:26 AM
GT-Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Ok, so the newer Cal Vintage has breva internals, is this win/lose/or draw?

I'm so intrigued by the mark I really can't seem to pick just one to lust after lol. As I said, I'm quite a ways off buying anything anyhow, and what bike I want will depend some on how things go with my trophy. If I decide she's a keeper it'd seem silly to buy a norge.

I have a few friends with cruisers, and my father in law is considering one, not that I have to be on a similar looking bike or anything stupid but a California seems tempting for that and shorter rides with my wife. On the other hand, I like the sportier variants, v11/breva sports as long as it's got a tubular handle bar so I can sit fairly up right. I've barely ridden any cruisers though, change of pace may not be a bad thing, especially if the cali's handle as well as everyone says.

AWESOME info here guys, I knew there were little changers here and there but not at all what they were, any more info out there keep it coming!

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD

elementalg20 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:58 AM
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Rx View Post
The swing-arm was revised in '02 for the wider back wheel. Otherwise they are the same. The only difference between the '00-01 Sport and the '02+ models was they added roughly ~1" to the frame at the head-stock to help with stability. First used on the Le Mans and Scura of that year ('02), it remained the only platform through the '05 variants.
Thanks for jumping in, Todd!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Ok, so the newer Cal Vintage has breva internals, is this win/lose/or draw?

I'm so intrigued by the mark I really can't seem to pick just one to lust after lol. As I said, I'm quite a ways off buying anything anyhow, and what bike I want will depend some on how things go with my trophy. If I decide she's a keeper it'd seem silly to buy a norge.

I have a few friends with cruisers, and my father in law is considering one, not that I have to be on a similar looking bike or anything stupid but a California seems tempting for that and shorter rides with my wife. On the other hand, I like the sportier variants, v11/breva sports as long as it's got a tubular handle bar so I can sit fairly up right. I've barely ridden any cruisers though, change of pace may not be a bad thing, especially if the cali's handle as well as everyone says.

AWESOME info here guys, I knew there were little changers here and there but not at all what they were, any more info out there keep it coming!
The Breva 1100 internals in the Cal Vin is a good thing. Todd can chime in, but the Cal Vin engine responds well to using the V11 ECU. Really wakes the bike up.

The only downside to the Cal Vin for me is the tube-type wheels. However, it is possible to swap earlier Cal EV tubeless spoked wheels onto the bike, if that's an issue for you. There are two versions. Aluminum used from '98-'01, and chromed used from '02-'05. Thier design is similar to the BMW wheels.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Again check in on my Forum linked in my signature below, tons of info there.

Quote:
The Breva 1100 internals in the Cal Vin is a good thing. Todd can chime in, but the Cal Vin engine responds well to using the V11 ECU. Really wakes the bike up.
The fueling and timing is too aggressive for the Cal Vin motor. The Air/Fuel data supports this. I offer a re-flash service for the Cal Vin that is proven.
The Cal Vin certainly is the last of the great California 2V Tonti frames.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Rx View Post
The fueling and timing is too aggressive for the Cal Vin motor. The Air/Fuel data supports this. I offer a re-flash service for the Cal Vin that is proven.
The guys at Moto International have been using V11 ECUs on the Cal Vin. For some reason, I thought you had too.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
The guys at Moto International have been using V11 ECUs on the Cal Vin. For some reason, I thought you had too.
Greg Field there plugged one in and took it for a ride. Nothing scientific. Once you see the fuel/timing data, and AFR's with the V11S ECU, I wouldn't personally run it for very long.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
2014 mg california 1400 custom

dear forum

does anybody know when and where in the usa the new 2014 cal custom will show up ? please pardon me if this info has already been announced .

thanks.

doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,106
According to Rose Farm Classics near Chicago. Theirs should be in mid-April.

You should call your local MG dealer to see if they have a different delivery schedule. I'd think the larger coastal areas would get them first then filter from the south up.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Laugh The first step is admitting you have a problem...

Long time rider but never once thrown a leg over or even ridden beside a Moto Guzzi. Don't know anybody that has either. Long time HD owner and only recently came across an ad for a Cailfornian for sale. Looked a bit deeper and checked the MG website and found not one but two bikes I really want . Not sure how they gained control like that but they did. I'm in the process of getting a new Norge . Still don't know much about them except what I've read here and a few other forums. Anyone want to help an addict out and give me your thoughts on owning a MG? Pretty sure I can see a couple of them in my future. Might as well know something about the bikes or lifestyle of a MG rider. I only know of a couple of dealers so there's no experience here with obtaining parts or service. Please help a brother out and tell me what I'm getting into. Will owning a Guzzi make my hair darker or make me lose twenty pounds or change my life significantly ? Will it make me more popular ? Or will it be just good riding ?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
Long time rider but never once thrown a leg over or even ridden beside a Moto Guzzi. Don't know anybody that has either. Long time HD owner and only recently came across an ad for a Cailfornian for sale. Looked a bit deeper and checked the MG website and found not one but two bikes I really want . Not sure how they gained control like that but they did. I'm in the process of getting a new Norge . Still don't know much about them except what I've read here and a few other forums. Anyone want to help an addict out and give me your thoughts on owning a MG? Pretty sure I can see a couple of them in my future. Might as well know something about the bikes or lifestyle of a MG rider. I only know of a couple of dealers so there's no experience here with obtaining parts or service. Please help a brother out and tell me what I'm getting into. Will owning a Guzzi make my hair darker or make me lose twenty pounds or change my life significantly ? Will it make me more popular ? Or will it be just good riding ?
You're already a guzzi rider, probably always have been. You just didn't know it. BTY, when I bacame a guzzi guy I also got a huge cock.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Nice cock! The stelvio isn't half bad either. I do think I recall reading some place once upon a time that If you own a MG you save money on razors, haircuts and shampoo.....

Besides all those benefits the damn things still haunt my dreams. May change what one I want every week but the guzzi day dreaming continues.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
Nudemetalz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
**** 99-02 Sports run a 4.25 rear wheel. The 02 LeMans and 03 Sports run a 5.50 rear wheel ****

Easiest way to tell a 4.25 rear rim one (99-01) over a 5.5 rear rim one (02-onwards) is check out the splayed out right hand muffler over the left. When Guzzi put a different swingarm on to accomodate the larger rim they did a quick-fixit with a muffler mount. Only Italians ay ...!!

(and yup, I have an 02 V11 Sport...)
Nudemetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudemetalz View Post
Only Italians ay ...!!
The true origins of "git 'er done".

prenderlo ha finito
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 536
I first got interested in MG from reading about the Stelvio. Then looking at other models and reading all about them and deciding I must have one. One thing I like about the California's is that they have the cruiser/classic style but a more standard riding position. After looking at my budget and the models I got a Bassa. After 5K miles (nothing in Guzzi mileage) it has only needed an oil/filter change, wash, wax, gas and ride. It could use some different handlebars as the stock bars are not really comfortable for me. Handles curves just fine as my street racing days are behind me I take a more comfortable (safer) pace. Still very easy to ride well over the limit. This bike has really grown on me and I like it more every time I ride it.

I still want the Stelvio. Maybe this is the year it happens.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote