Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,660
I held off buying a Griso when Buell was closing out 1125CRs...sold the CR a year later, bought a Griso because I liked the looks and aircooled twins are where it's at. They sound great.

I had the Griso and loved it...so much so that I sold my FJR and bought a Stelvio NTX. Rode it for 5200 miles in 2 months, deer killed it, bought another. The NTX was like I gave up NOTHING for the 'quirk' of a Guzzi. It was better at a lot of things and not so great at nearly nothing.

The Griso turned me on to Guzzi...never looked back.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I held off buying a Griso when Buell was closing out 1125CRs...sold the CR a year later, bought a Griso because I liked the looks and aircooled twins are where it's at. They sound great.

I had the Griso and loved it...so much so that I sold my FJR and bought a Stelvio NTX. Rode it for 5200 miles in 2 months, deer killed it, bought another. The NTX was like I gave up NOTHING for the 'quirk' of a Guzzi. It was better at a lot of things and not so great at nearly nothing.

The Griso turned me on to Guzzi...never looked back.
We must be brothers from another......blah, blah, blah. That's my story too, except for the Buell.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #33
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Talking Unexpected bonuses of ownership...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You're already a guzzi rider, probably always have been. You just didn't know it. BTY, when I bacame a guzzi guy I also got a huge cock.
Pretty sure that will make some old widder women around town smile when they find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
Nice cock! The stelvio isn't half bad either. I do think I recall reading some place once upon a time that If you own a MG you save money on razors, haircuts and shampoo.....

Besides all those benefits the damn things still haunt my dreams. May change what one I want every week but the guzzi day dreaming continues.
Same way for me. Once I saw them and did some research and lurking on a couple of other sites, I took the plunge and bought an 11 Norge. I've been riding for more than a few decades and can say without reservation that the Guzzi makes me more than any other bike I have ever ridden. Maybe it's the sudden increase in cock size or maybe it's just a great bike to ride. I've been approached more in a month of riding it than I have been in over a decade of HD riding. Everyone likes the style and nobody knows what it is. Great conversation starter . I can't begin to predict long term reliability or anything similar but as a life long maintenance guy, all things mechanical break sometime and I am okay with that little fact. From the many emails I received and threads I read, they are usually as reliable as a hammer and when needed can be repaired with nothing more than some old pliers and a screwdriver and a little bit of wire and some crazy glue. All that being said this is what I think of my Guzzi . I've got one now and will have another one day soon and unlike women, they are okay with having several at once. I'm hooked a little more every time I and to be called a Guzzi owner. Wouldn't go all crazy and say it's better than sex or anything like that but it is probably cheaper if true costs per hour of use are known. Back to one of the original questions of what is it that makes a guy that way, according to stevie88 getting a huge root was an unexpected bonus but even more it's the styling and handling and power and maybe even a little quirkieness of having a bike that isn't like every other bike you see on the road. I will always have my HD in my garage but right beside it will be my Guzzi and it will be the bike of choice more often than not I'm sure. All that being said, do not buy a Moto Guzzi of any kind. I don't want them to ever become mainstream and get popular. I'm selfish and want to keep it a secret about the of owning one or two or more.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #34
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Can anyone tell me about the Griso or the new V7 range?
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
V7:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=moto
There are links to other V7 threads in that one.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
Lots of Griso threads out there...what info are you looking for? 2007 they were 4 valve motors, 2009+ they are 8 valve motors. The bike hasn't changed much beyond that since 2007. Great looks, great sound, not like anything else out there. The 2012 green Griso SE with the wire spoke wheels and brown seat could be one of the best looking bikes currently offered.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #37
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Wicked

I bought a "new" '07 Breva V1100 about a month ago ( had 90 miles on it). Like you, I'd been fascinated by the Guzzi mystique for some time, so now, after 1000 miles, I know what the big deal is. Besides the giant cock, the smile on my face doesn't go away. A real Italian hoot to ride - Next to my FJR, the Breva feels like a 350. It vibrates, makes noise, and just feels right.

My FJR will be my coast-to-coast ride, but the Guzzi is my fun in the twisties ride.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Since no one has mentioned it, here are a few other things to think about:

MG has a poor dealer network in the US and if you ever do need a dealer for something, good luck.
We have had 3 dealers come and go in a 15yr period in my area and all said the reason they got rid of the franchise was because of poor suport on the part of MG.
There are several small companies in the US that carry the parts and from what I have been told they have excellent service and are very knowlegible if you have any questions.
If you travel on one and have a problem, then you will want a dealer in the area.
The engines are stone simple to work on and very reliable, it is usually the rest of the bike that you have problems with.
If it sounds like I don't like the Gooses, that is wrong, but for the time they have been in business they should have ironed out the problems. They are not cutting edge bikes, hell, they are hardly state of the art!
I love the Eldorado and will get one as soon as I have the room in the garage and start likeing working on bikes again! I kind of got tire of it 10yrs ago. Well that is if I don't get a Norge first, that bike just tickles me in all the right spots!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #39
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Breva 750

Just helped my son 21 year old son buy his first bike. It is a 2007 Breva 750 with 10,000 miles on the clock. He loves the bike. I have enjoyed riding it as well. Its seems pretty simple to work on. Ive had to replace turn signals and mirrors, he has dropped it twice, in the garage. When you look down the bike will go down. I think he has that figured that out now.

Getting 52 MPG. Seems pretty dependable. It had been serviced and new tires before the prior owner traded it for another Guzzi.

We may do a road trip to DC for National Police Week. We will see how the two of them do.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #40
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Looking at an 07 Breva 1100...that's the 2v motor right?

Any issues using one as a daily rider, city traffic, weekend hooliganism with a lot of highway miles thrown in for giggles?
Looking for something naked & Italian...and hopefully that I can work on myself for basic/intermediate maintenance.

Looked around for any Breva threads, this is the closest I could find.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #41
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Looking at an 07 Breva 1100...that's the 2v motor right?

Any issues using one as a daily rider, city traffic, weekend hooliganism with a lot of highway miles thrown in for giggles?
Looking for something naked & Italian...and hopefully that I can work on myself for basic/intermediate maintenance.

Looked around for any Breva threads, this is the closest I could find.

Should be good for what you're looking at.

There are a few small issues that may or may not ever crop up. Some people (including me) have had the dash unit fail. A poll revealed this wasn't really a widespread problem but that's not helpful if it does happen to you.

Early Brevas (of which 2007 might be one) had a weaker spring on the rear shock than later models which let the center stand scrape during hard cornering, if you have the center stand.

Otherwise there's really not much to watch out for.

Check out wildguzzi.com or guzzitech.com for more specific information.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #42
Babysteps
102 Rx = + /_\

Oddometer: 589

Real Guzzis are Red, every time I open my garage door I grin from ear to ear! Just look at it!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
I know real Guzzis are red & yours is handsome indeed. Yours would always be the best looking Guzzi in the lot....until that green one with the brown seat shows up.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Not much to add here other than:

* You need to understand that you are much more dependent upon your "local" dealer, the MGNOC, and your ability to fix things for yourself.

* The bikes today have less "character" today than in the past 20 years. Time has actually moved on and Guzzi has moved forward as well. The bikes are MUCH better today (in terms of reliability / "character") that in the early 90s.

* Guzzi owners are the most friendly, open, cool, ... riders on the planet. Go to a Guzzi rally and see.

* Guzzis are weird. Never buy a Guzzi without a long test ride. Even then it may not work for you. As the old saying goes, "Test ride a Guzzi for 10 miles and you'll never buy one. Ride a Guzzi for 1000 miles and you'll never sell one."

Good luck. They're an "acquired" taste. Weird, character, different, etc ....
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #45
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Not much to add here other than:

* You need to understand that you are much more dependent upon your "local" dealer, the MGNOC, and your ability to fix things for yourself.

* The bikes today have less "character" today than in the past 20 years. Time has actually moved on and Guzzi has moved forward as well. The bikes are MUCH better today (in terms of reliability / "character") that in the early 90s.

* Guzzi owners are the most friendly, open, cool, ... riders on the planet. Go to a Guzzi rally and see.

* Guzzis are weird. Never buy a Guzzi without a long test ride. Even then it may not work for you. As the old saying goes, "Test ride a Guzzi for 10 miles and you'll never buy one. Ride a Guzzi for 1000 miles and you'll never sell one."

Good luck. They're an "acquired" taste. Weird, character, different, etc ....
+1
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote