Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #46
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
My father in law has a 1952 Falcone. The one with the salami slicer on the side..stunning. He's 75 years young and we occasionally go for a Sunday morniing ride. My brother in law has a 2007 California Vintage that is absolutely fucking gorgeous!!! It is more nostalgic and beautiful than my Softail Deluxe....He's 6.3" and finds he's uncomfortable as the cylinders are hard up against his shins..There might be a lowering kit for the floorboards available, not sure. I think if you're under 6.0", you'll be OK. Also, the angle of the handlebars are "different", not a deal breaker. Anyway, I'm trying to soften him up as I want that baby in my garage, let's see if he gives in. Alternatively, I might see if I can buy one on the west coast and ship it to Australia. I believe they are rather inexpensive in the US, and if it costs a couple of grand to ship it, I'm still in front..
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #47
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,144
Loyal cult following.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...-a-visit/?_r=0
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #48
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Couldn't agree more - about this, or Guzzi owners in general. I found a Guzzi nearby owner, asked him if I could rent his Griso for a few hundred $US, just to see if my back could handle it. He declined - but offered to go on a ride with me if I would buy the gas. Talk about a no-brainer...

The ride went great, I eventually found "my" bike in central Illinois [I live in CA], and 2 Guzzi owners there were willing to have a look at it for me. I didn't know them, and still haven't met them in person, but they sure helped me out!

Now that I have my G8V at home...I don't regret the decision one bit. It's my daily commuter [which makes her somewhat surly; mistresses don't like mornings, apparently. ] and not only do I get off a fresh as I went on, but smiling from beginning to end. [insert more mistress references here...] I only have a few hundred on the odo, but thus far it's been bulletproof, requiring few farkles and zero fixes [knock on wood].

And, yes - my Griso is red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Not much to add here other than:

* You need to understand that you are much more dependent upon your "local" dealer, the MGNOC, and your ability to fix things for yourself.

* The bikes today have less "character" today than in the past 20 years. Time has actually moved on and Guzzi has moved forward as well. The bikes are MUCH better today (in terms of reliability / "character") that in the early 90s.

* Guzzi owners are the most friendly, open, cool, ... riders on the planet. Go to a Guzzi rally and see.

* Guzzis are weird. Never buy a Guzzi without a long test ride. Even then it may not work for you. As the old saying goes, "Test ride a Guzzi for 10 miles and you'll never buy one. Ride a Guzzi for 1000 miles and you'll never sell one."

Good luck. They're an "acquired" taste. Weird, character, different, etc ....
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #49
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
V7:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=moto
There are links to other V7 threads in that one.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #50
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Tell you about Guzzi's huh? They are cool and fun to ride. Get one now. Enought said.

I have ridden a lot of different bikes over the years and have recently fallen in love with the Guzzi. I have a Stelvio and a V7 racer. I also had a 72 Eldorado and it was also a great bike.

Just do it.

Did I mention they are cool?

Marc
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
They do get under your skin, kind of like chiggers. If I wasn't saving for my son's college education I could easily see 4 or 5 of them in my garage.......... On second thought, he can go to the JC for a couple of years.

I just ordered a stainless 2 into 1 exhaust for the V7 and see no end to the 'want to farkle' problem I seem to have. Next on the list is an old Ambassador, a Stelvio NTX, Lemans Mk 1, V11, Griso.....
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #52
Babysteps
102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I know real Guzzis are red & yours is handsome indeed. Yours would always be the best looking Guzzi in the lot....until that green one with the brown seat shows up.
You're right Jim, Rons bike is beautiful!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #53
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
in my humble opinion the new mg cal custom at $15000 is a great deal . and it is a beautiful cruiser .

You forgot to mention why it's a great bargain. The class leading power, brembos with ABS, three engines maps with corresponding levels of traction control and cruise control. All wrapped in a gorgeous package.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #54
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
My roomate owned a Breva...great bike, no problems whatsoever. I'd buy one if I was looking for a relaxed, torquey, comfortable, bike thats different than everything else out there, while also having tons of character. No bike in thier lineup is even close to being the bike my my Multistrada is...but then again they aren't suppsed to be.

Moto Guzzi's are for discerning, buyers that want simple, reliable, bikes that are slightly out in left field compared to everything else out there.

I'd LOVE to have an MGS-01. Simply beautiful.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #55
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Chiming back in since I'm the OP lol. I've read more and more about the guzzi's and while some of them have issues they seem to all be things than can be addressed, perhaps avoiding the ones with hydraulic lifters is best. Overall a very solid dependable lineup that is a bit more diversce than one might think at first glance. It'll be a good while before I can or should realistically purchase a bike again and I won't pretend to know what I'll get when I do but I must say the new 1400's look fantastic, and that Stelvio has quite the swan song as well and if those are out of my range I'd at least try to snag a test ride on an older california of some sort or perhaps a norge/breva.....basically anything but the small blocks interest me at least some lol. I'm not up for sporty ergo's or any of them would be worth a shot!

Unfortunately as much as my inner child is hating me I've got to rid myself of as much debt as possible(i.e. everything but my house) before indulging in a motorcycle just hoping that I can get what I want before the wifey needs a new cage.....me I'll just keep my old subie running hopefully.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #56
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,166
If you like to tune and work on your own bikes, this is the one. Pretty fun bike and unique.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
While it's entirely too far away for me to say this with any confidence right now I'm loving the stelvio ntx. I realize it's in no way a dirt bike and I don't want it to be. I think of it as a sport touring bike with tons of character and pretty relaxed comfortable ergo's and from the sounds of it very reasonable in terms of pillion comfort as well. I hope to get to check one out some time but I'm not finding anything closer than 200 plus miles away so far. Oh well, no rush until I can afford something anyhow.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #58
The Civil One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
A Man is worthwhile if he can smile when all around him is going wrong.
The Civil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #59
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Addiction

As other have said, Guzzis are strangely addictive. You get one, and somehow they just seem to breed.

I just added a 500 single to my collection of twins. All insured. All ridden. All reliable (within the limits of 40 year old bikes).

Nick

nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #60
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Careful there.

Last time I got something naked and italian... her husband didn't appreciate it much!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Looking at an 07 Breva 1100...that's the 2v motor right?

Any issues using one as a daily rider, city traffic, weekend hooliganism with a lot of highway miles thrown in for giggles?
Looking for something naked & Italian...and hopefully that I can work on myself for basic/intermediate maintenance.

Looked around for any Breva threads, this is the closest I could find.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote