User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
klr650goldwing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Tires in the mud.

Has anyone used the Michelin Anakee tires on a KLR and in the mud. I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer. I was thinking these tires might last the whole trip. Now I'm wondering how they'll be in the mud. It sounds like it rains all the time in Alaska.

http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-a...FVKf4AodYyUA-g
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
Have not used them on my KLR, but my old 955 Tiger always wore Anakees. They were great pavement tires, okay on dry hardpack, but they were very unhappy in the mud.

My current tiger has a Shinko 705 rear, that I hear gets great mileage, and I've been quite impressed with it all around, even in the mud. Muddy around here ranges from gooey clay to sandy squishy stuff. Not a knobby by any means, but it does pretty well. Plus, they are economically priced.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
COracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Have them on my F800GS, have done a fair bit of snow and mud riding this winter and the Anakees are slick as grease in those conditions. Not recommended for mud riding at all, I am lucky not to have ended up shiny side down yet.

My friend has the Heidenau's on his F800 and he had much better luck over the same terrain. The K60's are supposed to wear very well, I'd recommend looking at them instead.

KTM 690R Yamaha YZ450 sumo
COracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
I run a rear Kenda K270 on my DR650. It seems to do fine in sand and minor mud, and some people have reported getting over 10K miles out of one. Mine hums a bit on the slab.

I'd recommend a knobby for the front in mud. Carry a spare, or have one shipped, if you don't think it'll make the mileage. The IRC TR8 Battle Rally seems to be gaining a fanbase as a front tire. Check it out.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 288
I rode an Anakee 2 front and a Tourance rear all of the way up the Dempster two years ago, and a set trailwings all the way up the haul road two-years before that. You can ride whatever tires you want, but having done both of those rides on street oriented tires my advice is to bring a set of knobbies with you.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,495
Anakee 2s are good tires on paving and hardpacked dirt, but they are sketchy in sand and miserable in mud. If your route has a lot of hardpack/pavement prior to the expected mud, try to stage a better set of tires somewhere prior to the transition.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
dtz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by COracer View Post
Have them on my F800GS, have done a fair bit of snow and mud riding this winter and the Anakees are slick as grease in those conditions. Not recommended for mud riding at all, I am lucky not to have ended up shiny side down yet.
i agree 100%, if you choose the Anakee for this trip then you will ...
my opinion, Karoo or Karoo T, or Michelin T 63
dtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Heidenau K60 on KTM 690 ER

I was down at St Joe State Park, MO a couple of weeks ago and there was a lot of mud. I had taken off the mostly worn out MT-21 on the rear and put a K60 140/80-18 on. It did remarkably well. I thought it would clog up and just spin, but it pushed the bike through nicely. I just hope it wears as well as some folks here have experienced.

In the deep sand it was somewhat lacking compared to a true knobby. Fine feel on the pavement, too.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
klr650goldwing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
A few years ago my son and I rode the Continental Divide Ride. He was on Anakee tires I was on Dunlap 606s. Neither of us had any problems on the trail or the highways. The difference was that his Anakees outlasted the 606s by almost double. So, I thought they'd be good for this trip to Alaska, might even last the entire trip. However, based on what everyone is saying, I guess I'd better check out some of your suggestions. Thanks for the tips, stories etc. I'll check back with you after I've done some homework.
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote