Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
So I examined the clothing again, more thoroughly this time.

Ill be getting Aerostich pants. Likely the AD1.

As for jackets, the Latitude is the more road based jacket....but I dont understand why it does not have the D30 armor? Spending 600 on a jacket then having to upgrade armor bothers me...
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #32
RP3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
just do a trade to get what you want????

You never said what size you were. When I bought a used two piece Roadcrafter and it was too small I advertised here for a trade and ended up with a one piece Roadcrafter that fit me and just so happened to match my bike perfectly.
I have the one piece Roadcrafter for commuting, winter/rain and under 50 degrees also a two piece Motoport kevlar mesh suit that I like better and is my summer suit with raingear in the luggage (I don't really like the liners and have only used them a couple of times).
In my opinion, the Motoport Kevlar mesh is the most indestructible and versatle suit you can get if fashion is not your main concern and I would either trade yours or sell yours outright and buy more that fits you. I also have an extra Motoport jacket that I bought for others to wear if we go for a ride. It is approximately a size 44/46 (unless you have been eating too much like me and have a belly) and I would consider passing it along as it does not see enough use in contrast with its value.
RP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP3 View Post
You never said what size you were. When I bought a used two piece Roadcrafter and it was too small I advertised here for a trade and ended up with a one piece Roadcrafter that fit me and just so happened to match my bike perfectly.
I have the one piece Roadcrafter for commuting, winter/rain and under 50 degrees also a two piece Motoport kevlar mesh suit that I like better and is my summer suit with raingear in the luggage (I don't really like the liners and have only used them a couple of times).
In my opinion, the Motoport Kevlar mesh is the most indestructible and versatle suit you can get if fashion is not your main concern and I would either trade yours or sell yours outright and buy more that fits you. I also have an extra Motoport jacket that I bought for others to wear if we go for a ride. It is approximately a size 44/46 (unless you have been eating too much like me and have a belly) and I would consider passing it along as it does not see enough use in contrast with its value.
I did really consider buying a new motoport set, however getting things in my size is not easy. On top of that...isnt it a little excessive for ANY offroad use? I could be easily wrong.

I am nearly 6 ft and can fit size 38 or 40, sometimes 42 jackets. Because of the chest size, the overall length and sleeve length is often too short.

Same issue with pants. I can fit 29 inch waist pants, sometimes even wear 28, and need a 32 inch inseam.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
So I examined the clothing again, more thoroughly this time.

Ill be getting Aerostich pants. Likely the AD1.

As for jackets, the Latitude is the more road based jacket....but I dont understand why it does not have the D30 armor? Spending 600 on a jacket then having to upgrade armor bothers me...
Just curious, why do you thunk you need to upgrade to the D3O armor? The CE armor that comes with the Latitude Jacket is actually pretty nice. The D3O armor is thinner and more flexible, which for some people makes the jacket easier to wear, but I don't think the CE armor is uncomfortable at all. The D3O armor doesn't necessarily provide better protection and there's an article out there that actually would argue otherwise that the CE does a better job of protecting you. The D3O coverage are of the armor also seems less too? The D3O is just more comfy to wear.

Here's the article I was referencing - http://www.gizmag.com/d3o-motorcycle...ma-test/14227/

This is the interesting part on how the elbow protected by D3O got quite sore while the other side wasn't affected at all
Quote:
So for the d3o side merely to get a bit painful after a half-dozen very solid whacks is really quite an achievment. At roughly a third the thickness of the Knox pad, it did an incredibly good job. But the simple fact is that Noel could have kept on swingin' at the Knox side all afternoon and it wouldn't have fazed me in the slightest, whereas the d3o side was immediately more painful.

Not to mention, by about 15 minutes after the video was finished filming, my right elbow, on the d3o side, had swollen up quite noticeably and was feeling pretty sore, whereas the left side felt as if nothing had happened.

To me, the effectiveness of this armour comes down to a simple question - are you more interested in fashion and comfort, or outright protection?
Here's the video from that article. Jump to about 3:10 for the interesting Frying Pan Test. Now this is a couple years old and I think D3O armor has gotten thicker since then, so this may not be as big of a deal, but in this case the frying pan definitely hurt more on the D3O side vs the other side.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:53 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The D30 that they showed me at the BMW dealer was thicker and more coverage it seemeed....elbows anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
D3o is CE rated. CE rating is a minimum standard, so you can have varying performance for rated armor.

The bmw NP armor is orange, but it uses a different technology from d3o.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote