Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 767
I pretty much have to ride to surf(or burn my feet walking 15 minutes)

Law St local since 78 by the way
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
stoke OP
ocean minded

Oddometer: 483
oh man...

Just read through all of those links you guys posted up. I'm going to have to invest in some training. San Diego county looks like it has easily accessible riding for this type of stuff too...trials looks awesome.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
I pretty much have to ride to surf(or burn my feet walking 15 minutes)

Law St local since 78 by the way
Mike
That board rack is sweet! Why did you put the board on your left vs right? I'm in the process of building a rack for my 'strom to avoid the summer parking hassles of scripps.

Never surfed Law St a ton, but fun break. Usually caught the pier in my PB days, or PB Drive.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
That board rack is sweet! Why did you put the board on your left vs right? I'm in the process of building a rack for my 'strom to avoid the summer parking hassles of scripps.

Never surfed Law St a ton, but fun break. Usually caught the pier in my PB days, or PB Drive.
bike is on the left for a couple reasons-
The exhaust is on the right
I mount from the right side. it is easier for me to hold up the bike with my right hand though i have never riden anything much heavier than a xr650r and '82 yz490. i guess thats a big reason
I also feel that bikes tend to fall away from the kick stand more than onto it.

Can't beat the price @ $25 all done plus fully removable.

I grew up 5 houses up on Law st. and was either surfing out front, pb point/haremo's, sunset cliffs pretty much my entire life and have only surfed the snores/scripps a handfull of times
parking in san diego sucks you got that right!
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Trials is the most fun I've had on two wheels. I got lucky and met a trials rider on a trip to Hatfield last year who got me into the sport.

I did this 2 day Ryan Young school last year on a vintage bike and really had my eyes opened to what is possible on a trials bike.

Ryan is an excellent rider and remarkably he's a patient teacher as well, that can't be easy when you're dealing with folks so far below your skill set. This year I'm headed back on a modern bike, can't wait
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
When I'm riding, I keep an eye out for the man in the blue suit.

When I am surfing, I keep an eye out for the man in the grey suit.

You've just got to remember not to piss in your Roadcrafter.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,123
I'm a recently retired windsurfer, sailed for many years. Father Time finally caught up to me, its very physical. We never have issues with each other, its a brotherhood. Singletracking and windsurfing and tree skiing are similar in that you are always looking way ahead for obstacles and planning your turns. And all three give me a bonner.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
bike is on the left for a couple reasons-
The exhaust is on the right
I mount from the right side. it is easier for me to hold up the bike with my right hand though i have never riden anything much heavier than a xr650r and '82 yz490. i guess thats a big reason
I also feel that bikes tend to fall away from the kick stand more than onto it.

Can't beat the price @ $25 all done plus fully removable.

I grew up 5 houses up on Law st. and was either surfing out front, pb point/haremo's, sunset cliffs pretty much my entire life and have only surfed the snores/scripps a handfull of times
parking in san diego sucks you got that right!
Mike
"the snores" ha! the shores nowadays is over run by surf school beginners and like you say, small waves. blacks will always be my break of choice-but it sucks in the summer for the most part.

for $25, you killed it for a removable rack. last cheapest one I saw was clocking in around $40
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues View Post
You've just got to remember not to piss in your Roadcrafter.
I piss in my wetsuit all the time and I'm also getting a roadcrafter soon. I'll have to remember that.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Trials is the most fun I've had on two wheels. I got lucky and met a trials rider on a trip to Hatfield last year who got me into the sport.

I did this 2 day Ryan Young school last year on a vintage bike and really had my eyes opened to what is possible on a trials bike.

Ryan is an excellent rider and remarkably he's a patient teacher as well, that can't be easy when you're dealing with folks so far below your skill set. This year I'm headed back on a modern bike, can't wait
just watched the vid. man, that looks fun. funny how these threads work...start talking about surfing and riding and now I'm seriously looking into learning trials. it looks like this would seriously improve your skills for other types of riding.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
I definately found socal to have a much more agressive/competitive vibe in the water, but places where there are plenty of waves like baja, costa rica, and up here for the most part not so much. When I am surfing/whitewater the kayak or riding the bike, Im involved in a dynamic experience on my own that takes me out of my thinking/rational headspace and more in a feel and react mode, which is why they are so enjoyable to me. Sometimes its hard to get some freedom from the analytic and just experience the moment.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I piss in my wetsuit all the time and I'm also getting a roadcrafter soon. I'll have to remember that.
I've never done that.....whatever.....I can't believe someone bought my old shorty and steamer..........
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I've never done that.....whatever.....I can't believe someone bought my old shorty and steamer..........
My buddy wanted to borrow a wetsuit and I told him not to worry about peeing in it, I do all the time.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
I definately found socal to have a much more agressive/competitive vibe in the water, but places where there are plenty of waves like baja, costa rica, and up here for the most part not so much. When I am surfing/whitewater the kayak or riding the bike, Im involved in a dynamic experience on my own that takes me out of my thinking/rational headspace and more in a feel and react mode, which is why they are so enjoyable to me. Sometimes its hard to get some freedom from the analytic and just experience the moment.
and it's getting harder to get that freedom from the analytic these days; vast reams of information are always coming at us through multiple channels constantly. we're always processing.

motorcycles and surfing give us that gift of feel and react and cause you to exist just in the present, even if only for a short time.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I know this sounds outrageous and not true, but a buddy of mine craps in his wetsuit. No joke. Paddles out back, does it, zips the back zip down and floods the suit to flush it out, zips it back up and paddles back into the lineup. His need to do it is directly related to wave height.