Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
My wife and I were big fans of your Escape magazine and really enjoy your writing. We'd like to see something similar to Escape but geared more towards adventure riding with a combination of road & gravel with camping.
Articles on short rides are okay but we are more interested week-long to multi-week rides.
We enjoy reading about riding anywhere in the world, whether we think we'll ever be able to get there ourselves or not.
Good luck on the new venture!

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,788
There are some great suggestions here. I'll second the sentiments about sprinkling in product reviews into the ride report stories. I have read magazines that focus entirely on the bike, which gets boring if you aren't shopping for one. I have also read magazines that focus entirely on the destination, which left me wondering how the bike did on the trip. Half way in between would be great.

I love to read about trips to places I might actually be able to go, as well as exotic locals. Maybe bounce around the country? A trip to Moab, the Lost Coast of Cali, the Adirondacks, etc. Some personal interest mixed in would be good too, like the weird guy who manages the campground or whatever. I remember reading a story where a married couple were travelling in Central America, each on their own bike, when the rickety bridge collapsed under the guy. The woman wrote about had she had to keep it together while she pulled the bike off her unconscious husband in the creek below. That story still sticks with me. True adventure...

As a married man, I'm not too interested in scantily clad hotties sitting on shiny bikes. Including ladies (pretty or not) is great, as long as they have substance.

The comment about the cover shot was a good one, too. Many motorcycle magazines have basically the same picture every month. The bike is at the same angle, with different rocks in the background that could be a fake backdrop. Before you log into Advrider.com, there is a slide show of incredible pictures. One has a rider stopped at the crest of a sand dune watching camels walk by, one has a picture of a kid on a tricycle copying a guy doing a 2-wheel maneuver on a sidecar rig, etc. If you haven't seen that lately because your login is automatic, go check them out. Those are the type of shots that will keep magazines flying off the news stand.

Grinnin posted a link to this thread over in "Riding", so I'll comment there for a bump.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Nd2Roam
Charleston, WV

Oddometer: 383
+1 for real world rides, micro-adventures by region. Include local hot spots (diners) and maps of the nearby fun roads or trails, local spots of interest & recommended campgrounds or lodging.

When testing new bikes Include projected total cost of ownership using dealers for servicing, list it under the MSRP price. Use that information when ranking the bikes.

Likewise, include do-it-yourself service instructions for the routine maintenance items on the test bikes and rate their difficulty level. Such as adjusting the valves on a boxer motor vs. that of a desmo.

In depth testing and comparos of best bang for your buck used bikes. Do challenges like on Top Gear. $3k to buy bike & gear off craigslist or eBay to ride the TAT or to Prudhoe Bay, etc…

Lots of guest perspectives, Peter Eagen style, articles on people, places and reasons for riding.

my .02

John
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #34
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnWyoming View Post
Hi Jamie, Been a fan of your writing for some time. My twist is, Bikes, gear and trips we can all afford.
Only about 10% of can afford Beemers and the trick gear they advertise. Most of us fall in the KLR, Wee-strom category. Trip articles that give us options like free (or cheap) camping, low cost meals and gas availability.
If I have a finite riding budget, I would try to ride some where most every weekend as opposed to one blowout trip a season.
It's easy to spend more but more fun and inventive to spend less.
Good luck and keep us informed!
JWnWyoming
I agree with this.Lets keep it real for common folks.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I agree with this.Lets keep it real for common folks.
+1
We all aren't Charlie and Ewen with a chase vehicle and unlimited budget. Most of us will never RIDE THE WORLD but most of us dream about it.

That being said

I'd like to see trip reports about places most of us can realistically go to .....maps places to stay and eat etc....all regions of North America.

Equipment and modifications for those on a budget, expand that to camping gear and tools as well as farkles for the bikes.

Good Luck and look forward to see the magazine.

PS I'm always available for sponsored trips
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I usually have a subscription to CycleWorld, and I pick up Motorcyclist occasionally. I also really like the flavor of Rider magazine. For example, the boot review they did seemed pretty unbiased, but it was apparent that the mag could use a little more polish.

I want:
-Real, unbiased product reviews that use more than an A+ to A- scale.
-Print media. The internet is not the same as a physical magazine. At least until color e-ink comes around.
-Used bike reviews, including how well they age. I do like to read about the newest, most expensive bikes from Bologna and Germany, but I'm probably one of those who will never get a brand new bike.
-National Geographic style pictures. If the mag is about getting out, let's have some full page pictures of what is out there.

I second the idea of how-to mini-adventures to encourage people to get out if only for one night. Good luck on the new publication, and I hope to read it when it comes out!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #37
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 230
Is Jamie a woman!? I don't know what that will change but it might be refreshing. I think Hugh Hefner's daughter published Playboy for some time. Great how times are changing!

Lee (another gender neutral name I know so I will just let folks use their imagination)
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
How about something along these lines, just with more ADV rides.
http://www.roadrunner.travel/

And have a look at the Ride Reports forum section. There are some superbly gifted writers on here. I bet you can get some free-lance input from the fine folks on here.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,410
one thing that always seems to be a big hit around here, is people getting it done in spite of the odds. People who travel on tired old bikes and limited budgets. RTWDoug going around the world on a hardtail panhead. The young lady (the name escapes me) who went from Virginia to Alaska on an '86 Radian she bought for $1000. The college students who travelled out west and back on old Jap bikes. There's several stories like that in Ride Reports. Many of us old timers have done similar things, and it does our old hearts good to see brave young people getting it done today.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,410
ps - I'm a man, but I would like to see women motorcyclists featured from time to time. Hopefully your new magazine will encourage more women to get their own set of handlebars.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #41
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,401
Contact Cannonshot regarding ride reports... His are excellent.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #42
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
one thing that always seems to be a big hit around here, is people getting it done in spite of the odds. People who travel on tired old bikes and limited budgets. RTWDoug going around the world on a hardtail panhead. The young lady (the name escapes me) who went from Virginia to Alaska on an '86 Radian she bought for $1000. The college students who travelled out west and back on old Jap bikes. There's several stories like that in Ride Reports. Many of us old timers have done similar things, and it does our old hearts good to see brave young people getting it done today.
This!

And let's say that I just purchased a Tiger 800 - there are no less than 10 different crashbars on the market. (I should know - I sell 6 types) A comparo would be friggen awesome. Nearly all reviews are press-release sourced and are only on the products made by a multi-million dollar farkle-factory. I'd be down with supplying something that I import for a national mag. No one has asked.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Great news, Jamie. I like the idea of a magazine for people who actually go somewhere. I liked "Escape", and was bummed when it went away. I kept the Death Valley issue for reference.

Like to see:
Ride reports of actual trips, not just press junkets like in the current moto mags(Rider being the occasional exception).
Accompany the ride reports with usable maps.
Please caption the pictures.
Real-world gear reviews.
I like the idea mentioned earlier about a "reader's bike of the month".

Not like to see:
Constant, never-ending bike comparos everytime BNGs are introduced. That's not to say there should be no comparisons, but only when something genuinely new is introduced into a particular class of motorcycle.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #44
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Awesome undertaking! We take week long rides every year, with the same five or six guys, and lots of shorter weekend trips locally. We even rode to Alaska in 2010, and gleaned all that information from the ride reports on this site, nothing from magazines...

I would like to see reader submitted ride reports (may need some professional editing), about local rides as well as week long reports. As noted prior, how the routes were selected, the points of interest along the way, the little local secret hot spots. A lot of those can be found now IF you surf the net enough and dig into ride reports.

More of trip highlights, like odd ball places found on Roadside America, little turn offs that give big rewards in views, diners, where to eat,stay, and what to AVOID. etc..That can include the best time of year to go, and when to stay away, like a warning about Northwest Ark during Bikes,Blues and BBQ. And did I mention dry counties?

Also like the first person accounts of what was going on in their heads and bodies during the ride. Fuel mileage changes due to wind conditions, road surface conditions, any issues with what they were dealing with. What tools to carry, what camping gear, what worked, what didn't. Farkels that are worth the money, ones that just don't add value...

A rating system for the dual sport trails, including which type of bike the trail is acceptable for, and riding skill set needed. I know some guys can ride a GSA on trails I can't go down on a Trail 90, but there could be some rating systems.

Finally, something like Ride Texas does each year, a Top Ten list in several categories, that are attainable for most of us. I would love to ride South America, but realistically, knowing the top ten best roads or top ten diners in North America has more value to me as it is usuable in figuring out ride routes.
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #45
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Have to agree with much of what's been said about rides and maps/sites (with dowloadable gps files on magazines website, just don't piss us off with ridiculous fees, someone else will create that route and publish it here for free). No need for product reviews (I realize you have to advertise...letting readers know a particular product is out there and where to buy it is good enough as I will come to advrider to get much better/more information on that product anyway.

Then again, all that is already on advrider, but there is something to say for having a nice ride with photos in paper format. At least I can wipe my ass with it if I didn't notice the empty toilet paper roll before I sat down.
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote